Echo 272t vs...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boone0

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone looking for a little advice on my first saw. I have used top and rear handle saws on the ground before but never owned one. I am a homeowner. I have tree climbing gear and have done some pruning to the 5 silver maples in my yard with a hand saw.

I don't have a ton of felling and bucking to do, only one small tree and possibly another need to come down, less than 16" diameter at waist height. I am looking for a small saw to decrease the amount of hand sawing I am doing at height on 4-10" limbs.

It seems that the echo cs271 12" is a perfect fit for me. However, I am also looking at the cheaper and more powerful Hitachi cs33edtp. Same warranty, similar setup. I want a top handle saw because other than felling the one small tree, the majority of work on my property will be in tree pruning.

I have also seen running poulan 2000 and 2300s on Craigslist for under $75, and the cheapass in me finds them hard to resist.

I feel like I have to qualify this post with yes, I will purchase and use appropriate PPE and tie in twice when cutting. I work in an ER and don't want to spend any unpaid time there.

So, thoughts?

IMG_20160429_013738.jpg I like the cheap rout. This saw hadn't run in 13 years new fuel line and filter runs like brand new. What I found nice about the old poulan/craftsman was your hands aren't as close together as a modern top handle so running it 2 handed is more comfortable. The saw went home after I fixed it and retuned for 40:1. I'm looking to pick up an echo cs355t something about 201t performance for half the price peaks my interest.

Well, I stopped by a garage sale today on my way home and found a homelite xl for $25...that made the decision easier! It was dirty but the chain and bar were clean and looked new, no cracks in plastic, looked to be in great shape for an old tool.

Drained the oil and gas, replaced with some 40:1 mix and new oil, fired up after about 15 pulls. The only other thing it needed was a chain tension screw and an air filter to run.

Still needs a good look over before it's ready but that can wait for now. There was a poulan 2000 there as well that was tempting, but it looked like more of a project. Still might swing by tomorrow or Sunday if it's still there just because I enjoy a project....not sure on that yet.

That's the plan! Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back