Echo 590 and Tanaka 33 cc, hello

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicknick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Nick from Ocala, Fl. I am new to the site and boy am I glad I found it, tons of information. I live on 3 acres and from time to time they need a tending too so last year I bought my first chainsaw off of craigslist. It was a new Tanaka 33cc chainsaw that came with a 14 inch and 16 inch bar and oregon chains for $80, it was a good deal being that it was brand new. It was my first saw so I learned the importance of a sharp chain and a functioning oiler real quick lol. It has served me well but this year I had to do some real cutting so I jumped on craigslist again and found the saw I've been drooling over for a while now, an Echo cs 590 timberwolf, its a big boy and it came with a Stihl carbide chain and I bought it for $200. I love the way the saw just chews through stuff my Tanaka would never dream of touching.

So that is a little about me and what saws I have. I was thinking about selling my Tanaka but for the amount of money I would probably get for it I decided just to keep it for little jobs since its a little safer to run. The question is, Im ready to upgrade this 16 inch chain I have for a Stihl chain, I think thats a pretty good upgrade off the bat for it. Im having trouble finding the right chain though. Maybe someone can assist me please. The numbers on the bar are ' Chain 91vg-57e' im looking for a bit more of an aggresive chain without the homeowner low kick back stuff. Your help is much appreciated and I hope to learn a lot more about chainsaws as the time goes by.

Nick

A low kick back chain can cut just as aggressively, you just have to file the rakers a bit more.

I'm not a chain guy (my eyes glaze over when people start talking chain specs) but I would go to a stihl dealer and ask for assistance. You need to make sure you have the right chain to match the bar groove width and the clutch sprocket. I think there are more numbers on your bar that will give that info.

You may want to consider getting a new chain for your Echo. Carbide chains are usually used by demolition and fire guys for cutting through roofs etc where there are lots of metal. You should get a proper wood chain that can be filed.

What he said ^^. Just to amplify:
33 cc Tanakas use 3/8" LP chain, not full-size 3/8". Oregon 91vxl chain is very good, with long cutters for long life. You'll pay a bunch more for stihl chain. Worth it? Your call. Looks like Tanaka calls for a weird DL #, 57 for a 16-incher, vice common 56 DL. You can easily pull the chain and count the # of DL (drive links- the shark-fin-like thinges that ride in the bar groove). I'd suggest ordering replacement chains from Frawley's (www.loggerchain.com) or Bailey's (baileysonline.com) for best price.

Best upgrade you can make to saw chain- sharpen it, and KEEP IT SHARP. 'Nuf said.

Echo 590 uses full-size 3/8" pitch chain, pretty sure it's an unusual #DL, like 70 vs 72 with their OEM bar. Again easy to count and be sure. .050" gauge also (thickness of DL). Unless you run in competitions, I'd suggest semi-chisel chain. Stays sharp much longer than full-chisel in any sort of wood, clean or dirty. BTDT If you go for a "std." 20" bar for the Echo, you'll have to add a few DL to the chains for OEM bar, since such K095 bars take 72 DL for 20". That would be difficult without chain of the same type to donate links. Takes special tools to break & spin chains, and new bits to join them up.

What he said ^^. Just to amplify:
33 cc Tanakas use 3/8" LP chain, not full-size 3/8". Oregon 91vxl chain is very good, with long cutters for long life. You'll pay a bunch more for stihl chain. Worth it? Your call. Looks like Tanaka calls for a weird DL #, 57 for a 16-incher, vice common 56 DL. You can easily pull the chain and count the # of DL (drive links- the shark-fin-like thinges that ride in the bar groove). I'd suggest ordering replacement chains from Frawley's (www.loggerchain.com) or Bailey's (baileysonline.com) for best price.

Best upgrade you can make to saw chain- sharpen it, and KEEP IT SHARP. 'Nuf said.

Echo 590 uses full-size 3/8" pitch chain, pretty sure it's an unusual #DL, like 70 vs 72 with their OEM bar. Again easy to count and be sure. .050" gauge also (thickness of DL). Unless you run in competitions, I'd suggest semi-chisel chain. Stays sharp much longer than full-chisel in any sort of wood, clean or dirty. BTDT If you go for a "std." 20" bar for the Echo, you'll have to add a few DL to the chains for OEM bar, since such K095 bars take 72 DL for 20". That would be difficult without chain of the same type to donate links. Takes special tools to break & spin chains, and new bits to join them up.

Thank you CTYANK, I agree with you, with that size engine the chain has to be sharp no matter what. Im going to look for a good deal on a 18'' bar for my 590.

Bailey's for one routinely has bundles of bar/chain available. Echo 590 has bar mount pattern that's extremely common to enormous #s of saws up to 60 cc- K095, available 16"-24" at least. Might be a better "spread" for you to get a 16" to go with what I assume is your OEM 20-incher. You might want to look at http://www.loggerchain.com/72DPX070G-Oregon-Semi-chisel-chainsaw-chain-70-DL-3-8-050-72DPX070G.htm for semi-chisel chains for OEM bar on that Echo, to keep that in service. At Bailey's, WoodlandPro chain 30SC- 70 would do nicely, works for me. Count the DL. Good luck.

Bailey's for one routinely has bundles of bar/chain available. Echo 590 has bar mount pattern that's extremely common to enormous #s of saws up to 60 cc- K095, available 16"-24" at least. Might be a better "spread" for you to get a 16" to go with what I assume is your OEM 20-incher. You might want to look at http://www.loggerchain.com/72DPX070G-Oregon-Semi-chisel-chainsaw-chain-70-DL-3-8-050-72DPX070G.htm for semi-chisel chains for OEM bar on that Echo, to keep that in service. At Bailey's, WoodlandPro chain 30SC- 70 would do nicely, works for me. Count the DL. Good luck.
Good advice and nice prices with that website, so you think a 590 and a 16'' would be a nice combo?

Good advice and nice prices with that website, so you think a 590 and a 16'' would be a nice combo?
I'd call it PART of a good combo- 16" and 20" pkgs. of b&c. As possible, I'm inclined to use the shortest bar available to do a job. Easier to see just where everything is, control it, and keep the tip out of harm's way. It helps at times to be able to have a cut from one side meet up with a previous cut from the other.
If you're ever going to bury the bar in wood, avoid safety chains. Some of them are really lousy doing any cutting with the tip of the bar. Goes without saying that boring cuts would be really difficult too.

I have a 33 cc Hitachi (same as Tanaka) top handle, and I wouldn't think of using a 16" bar on it. IMO, the 14" is too long. That saw is made for a 12", but the average Joe consumer looks for the longest bar, so companies end up putting bars on them that are way too long for the engine power. I would sell the 16 on Ebay, and buy a 12 for it. You'll like it much better.

Latest posts

Back