Echo 590 lean adjust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... the Oregon chain that came with 590 had 2 cutters that were same direction in a row....lolol

sounds like you''ve got a d176 20" bar. 70 drive link chains have "2 cutters that were same direction in a row." so do 24" chains with 84 drive links. do the math.

I might break out the McCinderblock or the 62cc Chinese clone for that, but probably would cut it with my old ported Cratsman/Poulan.

He's right though, there really is not much big wood around here any more. Given the storms of the last 5 years we've lost most of the larger oaks we had, both red and white. I don't look at oaks the same any more - they'd be pretty tough trees if they had a root system capable of supporting their mass.
What part of PA are you from I'm in Hanover.

Well I made a comparison just yesterday. With a mm the 590 is plenty close to the 562 especially at the price difference, and lets be honest which one starts easier, which one will be more reliable? I know which I'd bet on.

The 590 is definitely a great value.

Have you MMd the 562 yet?

I'm curious to see if you'll have hot restart issues with the 562 when temps are in the upper 80s and hotter. I know another user that simply cannot restart his after a tank of fuel is run out of it. The fuel in the tank is boiling, the purge bulb is mostly empty, and it won't restart until out in the shade to cool off. He's tried every possible method to get it to restart. It will pop on choke but stalls out again within a second. It won't even try to start without choking it. It's obviously starving for fuel. His 576 is doing the same thing. Oddly, the 550 seems to be fine.

I'm curious to see if you'll have hot restart issues with the 562 when temps are in the upper 80s and hotter. I know another user that simply cannot restart his after a tank of fuel is run out of it. The fuel in the tank is boiling, the purge bulb is mostly empty, and it won't restart until out in the shade to cool off. He's tried every possible method to get it to restart. It will pop on choke but stalls out again within a second. It won't even try to start without choking it. It's obviously starving for fuel. His 576 is doing the same thing. Oddly, the 550 seems to be fine.
Boiling? Can't be good for tank.

LoveStihlQuality

sounds like you''ve got a d176 20" bar. 70 drive link chains have "2 cutters that were same direction in a row." so do 24" chains with 84 drive links. do the math.

o.k...good to know that....was wondering but this is first 70 D.l chain I have used ...all my other saws are 72.

...and yes I have experienced issues with hot restart but only when letting the saw idle for awhile before shutting off....if I shut off saw I can restart right away when hot....but let it idle for 1 minute before shutting off and it seemed to flood itself?.....only did that one day when I was cutting in 24 celcius....usually cut when its much cooler outside and never really had a problem....590 is a better starting saw for sure.

I really wish I had a reason to own something bigger then 60cc other then I want it. Around my area if you can burry a 20" bar in it its a big tree. View attachment 506818 View attachment 506819Around here this would be considered big. On a side note it was 95* the day these pictures were taken and the saws stock down to the limit caps. Not all 590s are lean or mine would surely be dead.

that's a pretty good sized sapling your cutting there :p naw lol, that's some alright wood. we would consider that a tree here.

Well at least our wood is hard!!:ices_rofl:

we have lots of hardwoods as well here. the hardest native tree here is likely the pacific dogwood. according to Janka hardness chart it's harder then hickory. i know how it is though, east coast guys would like to think they're the only ones with hardwood. it's all they got since their wood is so small! lol

The very first time I used the saw it got up to about 85, it saw the warmest day we've had this year. I used the saw pretty hard, even set it in direct sunlight when taking a break, it seemed to restart fine, not quite as easy as other saws, but it was fine.

No I haven't modded the 562 in any way.

o.k...good to know that....was wondering but this is first 70 D.l chain I have used ...all my other saws are 72.

...and yes I have experienced issues with hot restart but only when letting the saw idle for awhile before shutting off....if I shut off saw I can restart right away when hot....but let it idle for 1 minute before shutting off and it seemed to flood itself?.....only did that one day when I was cutting in 24 celcius....usually cut when its much cooler outside and never really had a problem....590 is a better starting saw for sure.

one half of 72 (dl) is 36, the number of cutters in a full comp chain. half of 36 is 18 the number of left and right hand cutters. half of 70 (dl) is 35, the number of cutters. that means 18 and 17 left-right or right left. since one side will have an odd number of cutters there will be two that are the same. it's actually an advantage when you're sharpening. you can concentrate on you beer instead of counting cutters. just start and end at the twins.

one half of 72 (dl) is 36, the number of cutters in a full comp chain. half of 36 is 18 the number of left and right hand cutters. half of 70 (dl) is 35, the number of cutters. that means 18 and 17 left-right or right left. since one side will have an odd number of cutters there will be two that are the same. it's actually an advantage when you're sharpening. you can concentrate on you beer instead of counting cutters. just start and end at the twins.

Lol that's exactly what I did

Yep...it totally makes sense...Now....

Your right it is handy to have the doubled up spot for sharpening.....I usually carry a paint pen and mark the cutter where I started....

This is also the first time I seen painted yello link on Stihl chain for for higher kick-back chain?...the last set I bought in Canada didn't have that?....is that USA reg?

First time ordering chain from Bailey's.

Your right it is handy to have the doubled up spot for sharpening.....I usually carry a paint pen and mark the cutter where I started....

This is also the first time I seen painted yello link on Stihl chain for for higher kick-back chain?...the last set I bought in Canada didn't have that?....is that USA reg?

there is probably someone here who knows more about this than me, but, i think the green/yellow color coding for chains and guide bars is a product of ANSI, whoever they are. i buy 99% of my chain by the roll and i avoid any type of low-kick-back types which are heavier, do not perform as well and are more difficult to sharpen. i like to say, "all my chains are black." i'm not cavalier about safety. i use a petzl hard hat, eye and face protection, gloves and lace to toe boots. i prefer carlton full chisel, but oregon is ok too. the sawtroll (from norway) was on here a while back saying that all chain is low-kick-back now, but i was in my local stihl boutique yesterday and saw boxed loops of 3/8" chain without any bumps or fins. since i'm not a millionaire, i didn't buy any.

i have often wished that someone would start marketing colored preset/tie straps. it's nice to have a reference point on a chain. never fails that you're half way through one side of a 32" chain and counting cutters and some guy comes in and asks you for your phone number.

just noticed that you said you're ordering from baileys. they have a great deal going at present, 10 loops for a $100. That's cheaper than by the roll. chain tends to cost around $.20 per drive link for carlton or oregon, more for stihl.

there is probably someone here who knows more about this than me, but, i think the green/yellow color coding for chains and guide bars is a product of ANSI, whoever they are. i buy 99% of my chain by the roll and i avoid any type of low-kick-back types which are heavier, do not perform as well and are more difficult to sharpen. i like to say, "all my chains are black." i'm not cavalier about safety. i use a petzl hard hat, eye and face protection, gloves and lace to toe boots. i prefer carlton full chisel, but oregon is ok too. the sawtroll (from norway) was on here a while back saying that all chain is low-kick-back now, but i was in my local stihl boutique yesterday and saw boxed loops of 3/8" chain without any bumps or fins. since i'm not a millionaire, i didn't buy any.

i have often wished that someone would start marketing colored preset/tie straps. it's nice to have a reference point on a chain. never fails that you're half way through one side of a 32" chain and counting cutters and some guy comes in and asks you for your phone number.
Stihl chain has a colored link well at least the older ones did. Yellow was non safety...green was low kick back safety. I used that link for a starting point when sharpening.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back