ECHO 590 Timber Wolf

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RedFir Down said:
Hey Nate I also noticed the IPL's for the 590 & 600 having different part numbers for the cylinder. Do you know what the difference is?
Some here have said it is just a 'new' number and the cylinders are the same.
Pre 2012 models had a different lower hp cylinder.

All you folks that are preaching brand loyalty blindness and then praising the 590 are worse than most of us Husky and Stihl diehards. You're completely missing the praises that I am giving the 590. This pissing contest has really passed the constructive point and is seriously knocking on the door of beating on a dead horse.

For those that happen to read this thread in the future looking for advice, find a dealer that will let you run the saw that you want to buy. Run several saws in the same class, price range, and size that you are considering. Ask to run the 590. Then find a 555/562xp or 362 to run. Make the decision yourself which you'd rather run all day. For some the savings vastly outweighs any performance gains.

i don't know folks -- recently bought a 2014 590 no mods at all-- except the dealer set the carb--

so far it has been a running fiend. yesterday i ripped a bunch of huge knotty post oak tops-- i mean ripped them through knots and all-- the things were so rough i wouldn't try split them with a mall and too big to lift for an old man like me. -- no problem for the 590 -if it was going to bog it would have on those hard knots--and they were the full length of the bar too-- a bit over 20" was the full bite of um--

dropped a few 30" gums and a couple pines of about the same size -- it ate them up--

from what i had been hearing on here i thought i would have to open up the muffler, re-tune the carb, and even remove and port the cyl/piston and so on --

after running the 590 for a while i have decided that i'll skip most or maybe all the mods -- i might remove the screen --

that is usually the FIRST thing i do on a new saw-- but i have had this 590 for a couple months and haven't touched it.

so far the saw has gobs of power and will cut anything i can come across with the 20" bar and chain with little fuss and quickly--

maybe i got an exceptional 590? it took the dealer like 5 minutes to set up the saw and he took that time trying to find a screw driver--LOL maybe there was a production change that gave the 2014s a bit more grunt?-- i don't know--???

sure it is a obsolete design --but so are my beloved 440s and my 372XPs-- they all cut the wood and do it in a hurry so whats so really obsolete about it?? al-gore thinks they make too much smog maybe? my experience has been that the newer saws haven't topped the older ones at all-- provided the old saws are kept in good tune.

i'm kind of partial to the older designs anyway . all the newer stuff seems more of an "on paper" improvement than a real world upgrade when you hit the woods.

based on the one example of the 590 i own-- provided it holds up- and i have no reason to expect otherwise so far--

the 590 for $399 is a hell of a lot of saw for the money-- it will cut any wood i can stick the bar on and not bog.--

what more is there to expect for $399? sure it is a fairly big and heavy saw-- would i trade a horsepower or durability to save a pound or two? -- no thanks! i have been lugging 13.6Lb dry weight saws for some time-- if i need less weight i'll trade down to a smaller saw.

will it out cut a 620P, 440 372xp, 565xp ect ect-- provided their all in the same state of tune --probably not.

however it ain't going to be very far behind them running a 20" bar--

as much torque as this 590 is making i don't think it would have much trouble pulling a 24" bar with a standard chain.

i cut a lot of firewood and i still drop a few loads of saw timber every year-- chip and saw pine is a big market here--

i may well get around to dropping a few loads of saw logs and chip with the 590 --ain't that what a "pro" saw does??

am i happy the the 590 for the money very much so.

the question is will i stay happy? if it don't end up a 'shop queen" like some of the new not obsolete high-tec , computer controlled designs--then maybe.

so far it has run a couple weeks hard--and seems to get a little stronger--that a good sign.

WRONG. Chip size is determined by the raker height (and the type of wood).

So your saying you don't get bigger chips by leaning on it a saw in stead of applying very little pressure and letting it scream? Yes lower rakers will make bigger chips without leaning on a saw very hard and the Echo will have the balls to pull lower rakers.. Steve

This is starting to get almost comical. Has anybody other than me run both a 555/562 and a 590 right off the shelf? Not to mention, are we in a pissing contest about stock saws or race ready pro modifieds?
I have the 590 and from what I can tell it's a great saw for the price.right out the box with a 20"bar..what I want to see is if it can handle a larger bar like a 24 or 28

I have the 590 and from what I can tell it's a great saw for the price.right out the box with a 20"bar..what I want to see is if it can handle a larger bar like a 24 or 28
The 590 will handle a 24" bar just fine. 28" would be a bit much, but would likely do ok, a mm would help.

The 590 will handle a 24" bar just fine. 28" would be a bit much, but would likely do ok, a mm would help.
I think it would really depend on what you were cutting and exactly what your expectations were. It is definitely comfortable with a 20" bar. I wouldn't want to run a full comp 24" in some of the wood I cut.

the 590 originated from the shindiawa 591 exact same but different colors.
the same hp as a 600p. but the 600p had aluminum covers and different sprocket but weighs more than the 590.
the 620p has 1 hp more due to porting changes and ignition.
this is the info i gained by doing research and conversing with knowledgeable dealers.
i demo'd all of these saws before buying my 590. i was surprised to find out that i could save this much money and get such a great saw. i was fully prepared to spend the money for another 680 for felling.

its echo's way of getting marketshare. lower the cost = more sales!

ive owned a 680. it is not much more powerful than a 590-600.
my go to saw is the 450p with a 20" bar. its been used for 6 years without a issue.

but as in most forums most people are brand blind, therefore echo is junk in their eyes.
they cant see the forest for the trees.:happybanana:

The 600p is pro built with a floating rim drive rather than a spur drive (will pay for the difference and fustration after replacing 5 spur drives). Did I mention I hate spur drives? LoL:laughing:. Not to mention a 600p can be found for as cheap as a 590 if you know where to look;).

I've had my 590 for a full year now. Yeah, it is a bit heavy for its size. If that's important to you, well maybe cutting wood ain't for you? It's probably not the best 60cc saw the world has ever seen. So if you run saws all day everyday, there are slightly better power to weight saws, but you'll pay dearly for them. On the other hand, if you're a landscaper, farmer or weekend warrior looking for the best bang for the buck? It's a solid performer that will get the job done. Did I mention reliable? Everything Echo I've ever had has been reliable as gravity.

I have bigger saws and smaller saws. I find the 590 to be a sweet spot for my needs. As a grass guy, I cut more limbs and medium size trees than most average joes or even a lot of DIY firewooders. But still far less than the average tree service. Still for the investment, it's hard to beat. I'm not nervous about having a high dollar saw in my truck, nobody is looking for an Echo to steal. Just sayin...

But, in my experience, if a manufacturer fails to tout a feature or spec that the leaders in any industry do, there's likely a very good reason- their specs, whatever they may be, don't show favorably.

You might be too young to remember in the early 70's many of the muscle cars were very CONSERVATIVELY rated, meaning they made more power than stated. Guess why? Had to do with keeping the EPA off their backs. You think Echo might think it wise to do the same? At least it's one possible alternative explanation.

Back