Echo 620p upgrades

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I knew it was coming.......the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge truck thing........

Better go outside as quickly as you can and bury that POS Echo in the back yard and replace it with something worth a ****......
Why don't you BUY one for me instead of crabbing? I'm retired and on a fixed income, I presume you are not, so step up and buy me something and I'll dig a hole and bury it, how's that? Actually, I'll give it to my Echo dealer, no charge and he can sell it to another supposedly unsuspecting customer...lol

How about a new Stihl, top handle professional arborist saw? Only 700 bucks.

How about that money bags....

Why don't you BUY one for me instead of crabbing? I'm retired and on a fixed income, I presume you are not, so step up and buy me something and I'll dig a hole and bury it, how's that? Actually, I'll give it to my Echo dealer, no charge and he can sell it to another supposedly unsuspecting customer...lol

How about a new Stihl, top handle professional arborist saw? Only 700 bucks.

How about that money bags....
Was Cliff's post not dripping with sarcasm enough for you to get it?

LOL

If we all pitch in,....we can equip AS with a laugh track.

Not an option with me at all. I don't change saws like I change my undies, never have.
I run Husky, Stihl, Echo, Dolmar, etc. (Bad CAD), end I think Echos are great. I took a trashed 590 and rebuilt it with all the relevant 620 parts and I really enjoy it. It has torque where the other saws rev, and I have a MS400 too.
BTW I have four year old Echo pole saw and weed whacker that fire right up every spring, I’ve never even changed a plug.

I run Husky, Stihl, Echo, Dolmar, etc. (Bad CAD), end I think Echos are great. I took a trashed 590 and rebuilt it with all the relevant 620 parts and I really enjoy it. It has torque where the other saws rev, and I have a MS400 too.
BTW I have four year old Echo pole saw and weed whacker that fire right up every spring, I’ve never even changed a plug.
Yep, I will literally run anything. It makes it fun, I even have some Poulans in the stable amongst other things that most scoff at. I grew up and learned how to cut/fell with dads old heavy Echo VLs so I have a soft spot for those anyway and is probably why I like Echo today. One of my other favorite saws is my grandfathers 10mm 044. It is just a classic design that gets the job done every time.

I have one of the first straight shaft Echo weed eaters ever made. My grandfather bought it in the 70s, an SRM 200, S/N 00000444. He wore that thing out over the years and passed it to my dad who also ran it enough to wear out 3 new ones, and now I have it. It still runs but I pulled the rope out of it several years ago and have not bothered to replace it yet.

Back on track, the 590/620 are really restrictive on the inside as well as the deflector. An easy way to free them up is to drill a 3/8" hole in the area under the deflector, I drilled a few smaller holes where I could as well. Others have cut the entire stovepipe section out, leaving a near-empty can.

Doing this, the deflector mod, and a retune really wakes them up. My muffler modded 590 is a bit faster than a stock broken in 362, and the muffler modded 620 is barely off a mostly broken in stock 400. These are all with 24" bars in Texas hardwood FWIW

Back on track, the 590/620 are really restrictive on the inside as well as the deflector. An easy way to free them up is to drill a 3/8" hole in the area under the deflector, I drilled a few smaller holes where I could as well. Others have cut the entire stovepipe section out, leaving a near-empty can.

Doing this, the deflector mod, and a retune really wakes them up. My muffler modded 590 is a bit faster than a stock broken in 362, and the muffler modded 620 is barely off a mostly broken in stock 400. These are all with 24" bars in Texas hardwood FWIW
What was the noise level increase doing this? I don't mind it being loud and sounding good, but don't want to make it obnoxious like my old XL12 lol

What was the noise level increase doing this? I don't mind it being loud and sounding good, but don't want to make it obnoxious like my old XL12 lol
It's got a nice loud crackle to it at idle, but I've never thought it sounds louder than most other saws in the cut or unloaded WOT, about on par with my stock 395 noise-wise. But FWIW, I was cutting for a fairly large Scout camp in East Texas, some of the campers said they could hear me from almost a mile away.

It's got a nice loud crackle to it at idle, but I've never thought it sounds louder than most other saws in the cut or unloaded WOT, about on par with my stock 395 noise-wise. But FWIW, I was cutting for a fairly large Scout camp in East Texas, some of the campers said they could hear me from almost a mile away.
I may start small and step up till I get where I want it, I did a MM on a Stihl 180 and I was a little more conservative and drilled several smaller holes instead of one giant one. Woke it up real nice but was still tolerable to run with out muffs.

I always run my saws with muffs. Both my stock 395 and muffler modded 590 rattle the ears w/o muffs or other protection

It's relatively easy to remove the baffle under the deflector, you just have to be careful not to 'grind' through the spot welds so far as you cut into the deflector. I used an air die grinder with an abrasive disc chucked in it. That and some slots in the inner baffle in the muffler does it.

Least the 590 don't come with a CAT in it...yet. I had to entirely replace the muffler on my top handle Echo and interestingly, Echo offers a no cat muffler for it and so does Forrester and it's listed on the Sawitagain website.

Keep in mind that the ignition module on the 590 is rpm limited whereas the 620 module isn't. I'm really not overly concerned with that as my 590 easily pulls a full bar (20") cut in seasoned oak on a ripping cut (with a sharp loop of course). I have it 'tuned' to where it pulls fine but slightly 4 strokes when free revved and I was able to do that without removing the limiter caps as well. I probably should have bought the 620 but I got a heck of a deal on the 590 so I bought that instead.

keep in mind that I only run canned fuel, either Echo Red Armor or Tru-Fuel 50-1. I don't like playing 'chemist' with corn gas and oil bottles from any brand and the canned fuel don't stink when burned either and produces little to no exhaust smoke as well.

Latest posts

Back