Echo chainsaws anygood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Against what is probably the main stream on this forum, I will stick my next out and say that there is much overemphasis on modifying saws. Most of them run decent without this warranty voiding and EPA illegal work. What I'm arguing against is the thinking that 'automatically everything needs to be modified'.

If you are going to compete its one thing, if you are an everyday user, its another.

I mean no disrespect whatever to the hotsaw builders.

echo

i have to admit that i use the echo 3400 as my climbing saw. many others are using husky and stihl (which i have used and enjoyed), but for $200 dollars i have a dependable saw with enough power for pruning and take-downs. i can always pull up the stihl 036 to finish until i can drop the stick. at approx. $200 i don't need to be extra careful with the saw (although i am somewhat anal about the use of equipment). sprockets and plugs last 6-9 months. overall i'm satisfied with it as my climbing saw.

so much for my testimonial.

for my small saw, i use a 3450. it's a nice lightweight dependable piece of equipment. the more i use it, the more i like it. keep the chain super sharp and the revs up and it cuts well.

Originally posted by Tony Snyder
Against what is probably the main stream on this forum, I will stick my next out and say that there is much overemphasis on modifying saws. Most of them run decent without this warranty voiding and EPA illegal work. What I'm arguing against is the thinking that 'automatically everything needs to be modified'.

If you are going to compete its one thing, if you are an everyday user, its another.

I mean no disrespect whatever to the hotsaw builders.

Along with Tony I have found that some saws stock run real good with just a muffler mod. An Echo CS510 is one such saw. This saw runs real good. Believe me, I like having modded saws as much as the next guy but some saws just rip very good the way they were designed!

Originally posted by flipjack
I hear a lot of good things about Stihl, Husky & Jonsered, but what about Echo? Are they any good?

Echo is no good, neither is Stihl, Husqvarna, Poulan, Dolmar, Homelite, Mac, Shindiawa, Solo, or any other brand. There is a huge believe among some that the brand of the saw makes it good. As far as I am concearned I do not believe there is a major company that has not builit both quality saws and junk saws. The brand does not make the saw. The way the particular model is built is what makes it good or not. Yes in my opinion even Stihl has built some bad saws.

Bill

good saw

Is Echo a good brand? Sure, as is Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, Shindaiwa, etc. Any company that builds a pro model saw will have a good saw. Dealer support and longevity will make the difference in the end. Are some models better than others? You bet. Ask around, see what the pros are using, ask what a guy that cuts his own firewood uses and has good luck with. Then try it out. If you like it, then buy it.

Back