Echo CS-400 P/C Upgrade?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HLC03

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a nice CS-400 and I want more power. It does pretty good for a 40 cc saw with a muff mod, but I want more grunt. I am going to buy a Dolmar 7900 this spring but I want to keep the CS400 around for limbing or a project saw. So heres my questions:

1. Has anyone ported the CS-400 with good results? And if so can you offer any tips?

2. Is there any Piston/Cylinder Combos that will fit the CS-400 with relatively little modification (direct swap) that will gain me some cc's? Like possibly the P/C for a CS-450P or CS-550P or any of the older Echo 50cc saws?

Thanks for any info you guys can provide!
Adam

One guy did port a cs 400 a while back. Ran damn good but i dunno where the thread went. Search cs 400 muffler mod, its a long thread.

My cut time with just a muff modd

Husky 55 Rancher 20 seconds
029 Stihl , one of the best I've run 15 seconds
CS400 muff modd 16 seconds, good enough for me. Steve

Have you ran it against a 026? Im curious to how it does. My buds got one i may mod the muffler then put them up against each other.

I'm looking forward to reading the reponses. I had previously posted here looking for a CS-400 p&c, but can't recall if any other larger Echo p&c will fit the CS-400.

And after searching for 20 minutes I wasn't able to find the thread.

I'm looking forward to reading the reponses. I had previously posted here looking for a CS-400 p&c, but can't recall if any other larger Echo p&c will fit the CS-400.

I couldnt either

I dont think that would even be close.

I dont think it would either, but i hear the cs 400s scream with a muff mod.

Ya i searched for that thread and could not find it. He had videos and everything.

the 400 is a clam shell,not much you can do to it,,its not worth porting it any unless you can do it yourself

i thought your thread a while back was about the cs-440, not the 400?
i recall mentioning that the 520 engine assembly would drop on the frame with little or no mods.... that was before the 'echo police' here jumped in and told me i was wrong (i wasn't :) ).

on topic:
OP, you need to go to the echo website and sift through the IPLs like i did and start comparing part numbers with saws close to the 400 in the lineup. find one whos frame and oiler, especially, will interchange and then look at the other peripheral parts.

the 400 is a clam shell,not much you can do to it,,its not worth porting it any unless you can do it yourself

08f150:
i am not real familiar with the 400 but i can tell you the 440 and 520 are clamshells too... but in a non conventional way. the clamshell is three pieces. the cylinder on the 440 and 520 is removeable from both the lower clamshell and from an upper clamshell that carries the bearings. the cylinder can easily be turned down and the piston turned for a pop-up.
if the 400 follows suit then.............................................

Last edited:
i recall mentioning that the 520 engine assembly would drop on the frame with little or no mods.... that was before the 'echo police' here jumped in and told me i was wrong (i wasn't :) ).

on topic:
OP, you need to go to the echo website and sift through the IPLs like i did and start comparing part numbers with saws close to the 400 in the lineup. find one whos frame and oiler, especially, will interchange and then look at the other peripheral parts.

the 370 and 400 will interchange,,they are the saw saw except the 400 has a bit bigger p/c

the 370 and 400 will interchange,,they are the saw saw except the 400 has a bit bigger p/c

are they conventional clamshells or three piece clamshells?

edit:
i glanced at the ipl for the 400 and it is unclear. they show the shortblock fully assembled....

Last edited:
Thank you, you are correct. Good grief, I can't even remember what saws I have, even when I have them listed in my signature :blush:.

My name is Chris J.,
this' my sign :stupid:.

i recall mentioning that the 520 engine assembly would drop on the frame with little or no mods.... that was before the 'echo police' here jumped in and told me i was wrong (i wasn't :) )....

I've had the intake and muffler off of one of my CS-370's, they have some pretty "weird" port work going on there.

Some sort of "swirl" port deal from what my contact at Echo told me. They are NOT a high rpm design, more of a "mid-range" engine.

The muffler mod helps them considerably, as does going to a 14" bar 3/8"LP set-up.

I did some timed cuts between my Husqvarna 435, CS-370 (muffler mod) and CS-400 (stock).

The 435 and 370 were dead even, the 400 was about 7 seconds slower. This was done twice, 3 cuts each in 16" Cherry.

I also tested my Husqvarna 55 (closed port), Echo CS-510 (muffer modded) and Shindiawa 488. The 55 and 510 were pretty much dead even, and considerably faster than the 488.

The CS-370/400 Echo's are great little saws, one of the best kept secrets out there in a small limbing saw. They just need richened up some and the muffler opened up a bit for best performance. They really don't like a lot of rpm's in the cut, and no matter how much you try to lean one up to rev, they would much rather "grunt" at lower rpm's in the cut. They also have a spark retard module (according to my friend at Echo), which may also contribute to the lack luster high rpm potential?

In any case, I can't see much need to port one, they have plenty of power for a 40cc saw as is......Cliff

I've had the intake and muffler off of one of my CS-370's, they have some pretty "weird" port work going on there.

Some sort of "swirl" port deal from what my contact at Echo told me. They are NOT a high rpm design, more of a "mid-range" engine.

The muffler mod helps them considerably, as does going to a 14" bar 3/8"LP set-up.

I did some timed cuts between my Husqvarna 435, CS-370 (muffler mod) and CS-400 (stock).

The 435 and 370 were dead even, the 400 was about 7 seconds slower. This was done twice, 3 cuts each in 16" Cherry.

I also tested my Husqvarna 55 (closed port), Echo CS-510 (muffer modded) and Shindiawa 488. The 55 and 510 were pretty much dead even, and considerably faster than the 488.

The CS-370/400 Echo's are great little saws, one of the best kept secrets out there in a small limbing saw. They just need richened up some and the muffler opened up a bit for best performance. They really don't like a lot of rpm's in the cut, and no matter how much you try to lean one up to rev, they would much rather "grunt" at lower rpm's in the cut. They also have a spark retard module (according to my friend at Echo), which may also contribute to the lack luster high rpm potential?

In any case, I can't see much need to port one, they have plenty of power for a 40cc saw as is......Cliff

:agree2::agree2::agree2:

Thanks for the info Cliff, I am not sure why more folks dont like Echo. I still plan on getting one for leaving in truck.

Cliff.....yep

Back