Echo CS8000 good/bad?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay guys bringing this back up top because i talked to the owner some on this saw. They are firm on the price, and say the saw is about a year old. It does look fresh ill give them that. Also it comes with the 36" bar AND a 32" bar with extra chains for both bars. So with now knowing that does the fair price change much? Thanks again all.

Okay guys bringing this back up top because i talked to the owner some on this saw. They are firm on the price, and say the saw is about a year old. It does look fresh ill give them that. Also it comes with the 36" bar AND a 32" bar with extra chains for both bars. So with now knowing that does the fair price change much? Thanks again all.

Well, before it was a fair deal, now with two bars and extra chains, at that size not real cheap, plus lightly used in like new condition (verify with pulling muffler and looking at piston), I'd say it is a deal. You are a little under half price of new now. That's considered a deal with about any decent larger new saw.

You've hung in there and sound like you want it, tis the season to be gifting, including yourself, (so you get something besides sox....)...go get it man! Make sure that H is rich enough, that's it, go cut some big wood!

Duh was our resident Echo 8000 pundit, but he has been banned yet again. Just for comparison, I picked up this 88cc saw last weekend for less than half of the rig you are looking at.

Homie540.jpg

Last edited:
Gary that's one sweet saw you got there. I hope to score a saw from the 540/8800 series someday. I'm surprised you're balancing it on a milk crate after your last 540/8800 series saw "incident" however...:popcorn:

As much as I'd rather have that Homelite (or most other older North American larger displacement saws), I think the OP would be better served with the Echo CS8000 in this case. He can still get parts from the manufacturer. Us 'enthusiasts' don't have that luxury...

Gary that's one sweet saw you got there. I hope to score a saw from the 540/8800 series someday. I'm surprised you're balancing it on a milk crate after your last 540/8800 series saw "incident" however...:popcorn:

As much as I'd rather have that Homelite (or most other older North American larger displacement saws), I think the OP would be better served with the Echo CS8000 in this case. He can still get parts from the manufacturer. Us 'enthusiasts' don't have that luxury...

Yep. Still in production, near new, 100% parts availability, if required, relatively easy, from a variety of sources.

As to cost and deals, etc...real big fat wild card. I am sure there are guys on here who have walked out of a barn with something like an old 090 that ran for 50 bucks..doesn't translate to everyone can just go out there today, find a CL ad locally any random day they choose, and go do that.

I was in the same exact position as the OP, wanted and needed a big saw able to run a 36" bar and chain, that was affordable to me, and wound up with the same saw, just I had to find *two* deals and put them together with one afternoon parts cleaning and swapping around. He's found one in one deal that's ready to rock as is...*shrugs*

And it works quite well for that particular niche and purpose, totally satisfied, and in no hurry to sell it off. Do not use it all the time, but when required, gets the job done and won't have to sweat future parts I think.

I bought one a couple years ago with a 24 and 36 inch bar and 2 chains for each for $400. I've been happy with it.

Okay thanks everybody. The price of the saw and both bars is $450.00. Like I say it appears new. There is a 5 year old Stihl 460R Mag with a full wrap handle two bars one 32" Stihl bar with all paint on it with chain. Another older Stihl bar 28" with no chain. This saw is clean as well but NOT near as clean as the Echo. If i remember correctly he's asking 600.00 for it. If I could get him to 500.00 I'd probably rather have the Stihl. I'm assuming the 460 Mag would be right or slightly above the Echo in cutting.

My only two reservations on the Echo is carb issues like I have on my little top handle Echo. I know Echo makes good products, but my Stihl's are the ones that ALWAYS start and run when needed.

The second is watching the video on you tube from the sawguy and that CS8000 was NOT impressive to me. I think for what he was cutting my MM'd 390 would spank that saw very easily. Not saying this would hold up in bigger wood but in the approximate same size oak and 8 pin sprocket I don't think it would have a chance. It seemed to me that the Echo bogged. Maybe it wasn't tuned right but they were checking temps and rpm's before the cut. I'm just being honest here with what I noticed on the video. Before the flaming starts (and that is definatley NOT what I want) my FIL has a Stihl 036 pro with a 36" bar on it and that is not impressive to me either. At least the last time I saw him cut some big wood with it. Yes I think he is WAY over barred on that saw, especially stock.

Anyway please tell me there is something wrong with my opinion of that video.

Okay thanks everybody. The price of the saw and both bars is $450.00. Like I say it appears new. There is a 5 year old Stihl 460R Mag with a full wrap handle two bars one 32" Stihl bar with all paint on it with chain. Another older Stihl bar 28" with no chain. This saw is clean as well but NOT near as clean as the Echo. If i remember correctly he's asking 600.00 for it. If I could get him to 500.00 I'd probably rather have the Stihl. I'm assuming the 460 Mag would be right or slightly above the Echo in cutting.

My only two reservations on the Echo is carb issues like I have on my little top handle Echo. I know Echo makes good products, but my Stihl's are the ones that ALWAYS start and run when needed.

The second is watching the video on you tube from the sawguy and that CS8000 was NOT impressive to me. I think for what he was cutting my MM'd 390 would spank that saw very easily. Not saying this would hold up in bigger wood but in the approximate same size oak and 8 pin sprocket I don't think it would have a chance. It seemed to me that the Echo bogged. Maybe it wasn't tuned right but they were checking temps and rpm's before the cut. I'm just being honest here with what I noticed on the video. Before the flaming starts (and that is definatley NOT what I want) my FIL has a Stihl 036 pro with a 36" bar on it and that is not impressive to me either. At least the last time I saw him cut some big wood with it. Yes I think he is WAY over barred on that saw, especially stock.

If you think a muff modded 390 will spank a Echo Cs8800 your thinking wrong, my CS8000 spanks my good running 044 bad. Steve

If you think a muff modded 390 will spank a Echo Cs8800 your thinking wrong, my CS8000 spanks my good running 044 bad. Steve

Well i would hope I'm wrong, but watch the video on you tube from sawguy! Have you watched it? i know my 390 will cut better then that video. But that is good to hear that your 044 can't keep up with the 8000. I agree my 390 shouldn't even be in the same league!

No idea on the video. As stated before by other owners, it is not a real fast saw, but it will keep pulling that chain. That's about it. Tuned correctly, limiters removed, it will start well (same as any saw will). My husky 365 cuts faster in smaller wood, but there's no way I would even think about putting a 36 on it. Tried it with a 28 and that is the outside limit (IMO) and the oiler was, my opinion again, lacking. I don't have another saw close enough to compare. My other big saw is a 394, well, that's bigger and borderline racehorse. and cost me more. I would expect it to cut faster and stronger. The echo is 80ccs, sort of hangs right in the middle between those two, as expected, but does have enough nutz to get the job done for me.

The echo could oil a much longer bar than 36 I bet, it pumps a gusher set on high, plus you have the manual oiler. I would not run a longer bar, 36 is it for that engine size and power, but it sure could oil it. And it can pull the chain. I've done 30" plus hardwoods with it, oak and hickory, for my firewood. Draft mule, not race horse. I don't use mine all the time, just when it makes sense to do so, and I am not an "on the clock" production cutter. Want a race horse, "pony" up the loot and look elsewhere. Then get the racehorse ported.

if your little echo is problematic, it just needs to be fixed/tuned. That's been one of the least complained about issues with echoes, they always start good if tuned correctly. many many guys on this board will attest to that.

If you really want the 460, which it sounds like you would really rather have, just scrape up the extra loot from someplace and go for it. Either one of those two choices will pull the bars/chains that come with them well, and get your wood cut. The stihl cost more and will have a higher resale value, if that is important to you.

Actual felling and bucking takes the least amount of time in the whole "go get your firewood" time frame, and as soon as you get to bucking, mpph, the log is holding the dang saw up for you half the time, you're just driving it. I'm a little bitty guy and never even think about that saw weight issue. As to speed of cut, bucking the big logs, if it takes me a few minutes longer to buck up a huge tree, and to save that few minutes it would cost me hundreds more..I'll keep it in my wallet. A few minutes extra cutting time is like nothing, negligible. I go cut a trailer load and that's it and it takes no time at all, usually it's two trailer loads actually and have to come back, it's what comes next that takes the grunting effort and the time, the speed of cut is most irrelevant to me as well, it is either acceptable and cuts "good enough", or it doesn't.

This is, if you handle everything by hand, just small scale personal firewood, and are not cutting commercially and using skidders and skidsteers and grapples and processors and conveyors and dump trucks and trailers, with employees hanging about, and stuff like that. And if you where, you would just get a new high end 1000 buck and up pro saw for a larger saw and port it before it even touched wood.

It is interesting to me, though, that both the cs8000 and the 460R are what are in most common use for emergency/rescue saws. Says something about the functionality, reliability and toughness of each of them.

No idea on the video. As stated before by other owners, it is not a real fast saw, but it will keep pulling that chain. That's about it. Tuned correctly, limiters removed, it will start well (same as any saw will). My husky 365 cuts faster in smaller wood, but there's no way I would even think about putting a 36 on it. Tried it with a 28 and that is the outside limit (IMO) and the oiler was, my opinion again, lacking. I don't have another saw close enough to compare. My other big saw is a 394, well, that's bigger and borderline racehorse. and cost me more. I would expect it to cut faster and stronger. The echo is 80ccs, sort of hangs right in the middle between those two, as expected, but does have enough nutz to get the job done for me.

The echo could oil a much longer bar than 36 I bet, it pumps a gusher set on high, plus you have the manual oiler. I would not run a longer bar, 36 is it for that engine size and power, but it sure could oil it. And it can pull the chain. I've done 30" plus hardwoods with it, oak and hickory, for my firewood. Draft mule, not race horse. I don't use mine all the time, just when it makes sense to do so, and I am not an "on the clock" production cutter. Want a race horse, "pony" up the loot and look elsewhere. Then get the racehorse ported.

if your little echo is problematic, it just needs to be fixed/tuned. That's been one of the least complained about issues with echoes, they always start good if tuned correctly. many many guys on this board will attest to that.

If you really want the 460, which it sounds like you would really rather have, just scrape up the extra loot from someplace and go for it. Either one of those two choices will pull the bars/chains that come with them well, and get your wood cut. The stihl cost more and will have a higher resale value, if that is important to you.

Actual felling and bucking takes the least amount of time in the whole "go get your firewood" time frame, and as soon as you get to bucking, mpph, the log is holding the dang saw up for you half the time, you're just driving it. I'm a little bitty guy and never even think about that saw weight issue. As to speed of cut, bucking the big logs, if it takes me a few minutes longer to buck up a huge tree, and to save that few minutes it would cost me hundreds more..I'll keep it in my wallet. A few minutes extra cutting time is like nothing, negligible. I go cut a trailer load and that's it and it takes no time at all, usually it's two trailer loads actually and have to come back, it's what comes next that takes the grunting effort and the time, the speed of cut is most irrelevant to me as well, it is either acceptable and cuts "good enough", or it doesn't.

This is, if you handle everything by hand, just small scale personal firewood, and are not cutting commercially and using skidders and skidsteers and grapples and processors and conveyors and dump trucks and trailers, with employees hanging about, and stuff like that. And if you where, you would just get a new high end 1000 buck and up pro saw for a larger saw and port it before it even touched wood.

It is interesting to me, though, that both the cs8000 and the 460R are what are in most common use for emergency/rescue saws. Says something about the functionality, reliability and toughness of each of them.

Zogger, thank you! Everything you said makes sense. It's good to hear about the oiler on the Echo, that is obviuosly the weak spot on my 029/039. I do need to get over my issue with my current Echo and fix it. I was so pissed at it i didn't care to mess with it for awhile. I know it's not the saws fault really, as i've struggled with it for a while but have never taken the time to fix it. Just personal firewood and felling here, so yes time in cut is really not an issue. I just didn't want to end up with a dog saw. Now that I think about it that is exactly what my 029 was stock, and I was disappointed. But obviously with help from the fine people here that is definatley no longer the case. I'm sure the echo would respond to a MM and retune also. Thanks again as always and i'll have to see where this ends up!

Zogger, thank you! Everything you said makes sense. It's good to hear about the oiler on the Echo, that is obviuosly the weak spot on my 029/039. I do need to get over my issue with my current Echo and fix it. I was so pissed at it i didn't care to mess with it for awhile. I know it's not the saws fault really, as i've struggled with it for a while but have never taken the time to fix it. Just personal firewood and felling here, so yes time in cut is really not an issue. I just didn't want to end up with a dog saw. Now that I think about it that is exactly what my 029 was stock, and I was disappointed. But obviously with help from the fine people here that is definatley no longer the case. I'm sure the echo would respond to a MM and retune also. Thanks again as always and i'll have to see where this ends up!

like i said earlier. they really wake up after the muffler is opened.
mmfqqo.jpg

like i said earlier. they really wake up after the muffler is opened.
mmfqqo.jpg

When I started my tree service I didn't have the money to buy Huskys or Stihl so I started out with all Echo's. I have 2 cs-8000's and mm both of them with carb adj. and they are the most reliable saws I have. I bought 1 used and 1 new and in my opinion for the money they are a great deal. They have run 20" to 36" bars and have chewed everything I have put them in. These Echo's have made me a lot of money. I have since acquired a 660 and I don't see a whole lot of noticeable difference between the 2. I have a 390xp that has been modded and I would like to have the cs-8000 modded to see the difference from stock. I also have 4 cs-360t's and for the price they have done me a great job. I finally cut the muff's in half, gutted and welded them back together and it is a totally different saw. I also bought a 200t after hearing all the good stuff about those saws and I prefer the 360t. The 200t gets hung up in wood the 360t doesn't. I think Echo makes a really good saw and you will not be disappointed in buying it. If they will let you take the muff off and look at the piston and rings. Good Luck!

When I started my tree service I didn't have the money to buy Huskys or Stihl so I started out with all Echo's. I have 2 cs-8000's and mm both of them with carb adj. and they are the most reliable saws I have. I bought 1 used and 1 new and in my opinion for the money they are a great deal. They have run 20" to 36" bars and have chewed everything I have put them in. These Echo's have made me a lot of money. I have since acquired a 660 and I don't see a whole lot of noticeable difference between the 2. I have a 390xp that has been modded and I would like to have the cs-8000 modded to see the difference from stock. I also have 4 cs-360t's and for the price they have done me a great job. I finally cut the muff's in half, gutted and welded them back together and it is a totally different saw. I also bought a 200t after hearing all the good stuff about those saws and I prefer the 360t. The 200t gets hung up in wood the 360t doesn't. I think Echo makes a really good saw and you will not be disappointed in buying it. If they will let you take the muff off and look at the piston and rings. Good Luck!

Gotta like the torque of Echo saws right down to the small ones. Echo CS8000 cylinder is nice, the exhaust port could be raised quite a bit for more RPM but I'd guess that torque would go down. Steve

I think you guys are missing the boat on these Echo saws. Theyre built quite well. When souped up not many will show the gains these do. Besides that you can put a new oem top end on either a 670 or 8000 with bearings for under $200 as long as you do the work.

Latest posts

Back