Echo Saw Repairs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
A local farmer stopped by today with two old Echos and asked If I could get them running.

One is a CS-4400 and the other is a 452 VL. First thing I did was pull the muffler off of the CS-4400 and it is scored badly. He said it was his dads and he thinks his dad put the wrong gas in it.

I emptied the tank and the gas doesnt smell anything like any gas I have ever smelled. And its pink. So I dont know if it is off road fuel, or gas with stabil instead of two stroke oil.

Ever see two stroke gas like this?
20200402_151230.jpg
Obviously I will do a pressure test to eliminate that cause.

The 452 VL is supposed to run but doesnt run great. I'm sure the carb needs cleaned, but I also pulled the muffler off and the exhaust side looks perfect, however, the intake side cylinder wall looks like this.
20200402_150650.jpg

I dont know if that is scored, or just marked up, but what would cause that? Dirt getting into the cylinder? I guess my first step on that saw will be a compression test.

That picture is somewhat misleading on the cylinder wall. It is not pitted, that is some oil residue that puddled up. The concern are the striations.

seen alot of the 4400 echos that have been scored i almost bought one but ended up with a cs 400 a few years later i did tune it and still have it today....the 4400 that people adjusted right ran for a long time....

BOth can be fixed, good luck on buying Echo parts as they will cost an arm and a leg. What you save on the from end will cost you on the back. Echos are good equipemt, but until part sources become less expensive, no thanks. Example............Expect to pay $50 for a plastic bar cover on a $250 saw if you are lucky. I have not looked, but if the cylinder will even clean up a piston will be $100.

Mobil Racing 2T used to be red. 50:1 Trufuel is pinkish.
I just looked at the trufuel in my polesaw. It does look more pink in a clear container, but still a little darker than the photo. It looks much more red in the opaque Stihl fuel tank. So it could be mix or straight gas with StaBil like the op said.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

A thread without a Pic of the saw is like a kite without a tail and a ship without a sail. Here's a CS-4500 that I restored from pure ugliness:
Echo CS-4500.jpg
Now it runs very well and has lots of power. Not much plastic on it, the low idle control can be adjusted without a screwdriver. All I added new was the fuel cap.

Back