Echo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My wife and I were in Home Depot the other day and accidentally walked past the chainsaws. I picked up a CS306 and said I really needed one of them.

She asked me how many saws do you need, anyway?

I told I didn't have a little one for limbing, she said isn't that what that pole saw I got you is for? So I had to explain, wrong kind of limbs. I'm not sure she completely believed me.

A couple of hours later she asked me if I would like one for my birthday.
Do I?

I have a 044, 038, 55R, ECS650 and two XL12s so I'm not worried about power, would just like something lighter when I'm cutting brush and limbing.

I also noticed Echo has 5 year warranty. Does that amount to anything?
Dan

Sure... why not???

You already have a bunch of saws... one more won't hurt.

5 year warranty is a good thing. I have never owned an Echo... so I cannot comment on their durability on the current crop of saws.

Gary

Sure... why not???

You already have a bunch of saws... one more won't hurt.

5 year warranty is a good thing. I have never owned an Echo... so I cannot comment on their durability on the current crop of saws.

Gary
What no smart ass comment about Echo saw's? Just kidding.
Every body I know that has a Echo loves em. I find them expensive up here but have tried a few and like the Cs440. I like the old school controls on the saws. Like to try a 50cc+ saw of there's

Nah... he's already got some Stihl's. LOL... ;)

My "work" saws are my Stihl's.

My "play around" saws are pretty much everything else i got. Just use when I feel like draggin' them along.

Gary

Go for it

I have a 306 I bought new last summer. Great little saw for the small stuff. Around here, they run 200 at Depot. Just recently, the 346's went down to 220, I guess they are getting rid of them in favor of the 370's. The only problem is that I bought mine before they came out with the 5 year warranty.

My basic requirements are for it to be very light and start every time...

Would you buy one from HD (I don't like them much) $200.00 less 10% coupon or from a local dealer with a really crappy attitude???
He acts like it just kills him to sell you a part.

Last edited:
I haven't ever owned an echo but most of the people on here that have owned them seem to think their ok. I wouldn't put too much stock in the 5 year warranty thing though. I'm not sure where you would go for service if something did break after a couple of years or if they would just make you send it in and you pay the shipping.

Speaking of warranties...i bought a new moen kitchen faucet last year which has a lifetime warranty on it. About 2 or 3 months ago it has started leaking ....but I need to send it in for them to honor the warranty. What the hell am i going to do in the meantime without a kitchen faucet? At the time of purchase I thought "hey this must be a good faucet since it has a lifetime warranty", but there isn't much practicality to the warranty.

I have a 346 and can't say enough goo things about it. No matter how much others may give me a hard time for this saw it starts every time and continues to cut. If you don't like the dealer much I say buy it from wherever you get the best price. As for the warranty, I don't have any experience with it so cant comment.

Speaking of warranties...i bought a new moen kitchen faucet last year which has a lifetime warranty on it. About 2 or 3 months ago it has started leaking ....but I need to send it in for them to honor the warranty. What the hell am i going to do in the meantime without a kitchen faucet? At the time of purchase I thought "hey this must be a good faucet since it has a lifetime warranty", but there isn't much practicality to the warranty.

Their company slogan is "buy it for looks, buy it for life", no mention about buy it for functionality or reliability. If its one of those high dollar stainless units I'd raise hell with the place you bought it and see what they can do. If its just an ordinary cheap kitchen faucet I'd try to fix it myself or just throw it out. Even if you did send it in the next hurdle would be the warranty wording, which probably says something like "warranted against manufacturing defects for as long as you own it". So then they just say it wasn't defective from the factory, it just wore out, or some similar BS and you're back to where you started. I always take "lifetime warranty" with a big grain of salt, because any true manufacturing defect is going to make itself apparent fairly early in the game, so extending that protection indefinitely isn't really an advantage I expect to actually use.

Their company slogan is "buy it for looks, buy it for life", no mention about buy it for functionality or reliability. If its one of those high dollar stainless units I'd raise hell with the place you bought it and see what they can do. If its just an ordinary cheap kitchen faucet I'd try to fix it myself or just throw it out. Even if you did send it in the next hurdle would be the warranty wording, which probably says something like "warranted against manufacturing defects for as long as you own it". So then they just say it wasn't defective from the factory, it just wore out, or some similar BS and you're back to where you started. I always take "lifetime warranty" with a big grain of salt, because any true manufacturing defect is going to make itself apparent fairly early in the game, so extending that protection indefinitely isn't really an advantage I expect to actually use.
Good post. Yeah it is one of their higher end ones. I was thinking about talking to the place i purchased it at (Menards similar to a Lowes and Home Depot) to see what they can do eventhough I don't have a receipt. If they say they can't do anything without a receipt, I may just end up buying a new one and than bringing this one back in the new box in about a month or so. I hate resorting to that, but I've done it in the past, with good results :).

You guys wanna swap chocolate chip cookie recipies too? :popcorn:

Gary

How the faucet thing related to the topic is because some people feel reassurance buying a product just because it has a long or a lifetime warranty. If a problem does happen they find out the warranty is pretty much a joke anyhow.

Echo makes a decent saw, I like mine very well. Problem with Echo is good dealer support is like hens teeth. We have several crappy dealers close and a fantastic dealer about an hour away,, IF we ever need one. Next time your at the Depo check out the 370, its twice the saw of the 306 and still nice and light to tote. If you dont mind buying on Ebay you can get one there for the price of the 306 at the Depo including ship. You can look at Echos web site for the details of the warranty.

Aside my carb problems (see my other Echo thread) I really like my 345. I dont know the difference between the 345 and 346, they look like the same saw. The only other thing I noticed is the Echo is LOUD!

How the faucet thing related to the topic is because some people feel reassurance buying a product just because it has a long or a lifetime warranty. If a problem does happen they find out the warranty is pretty much a joke anyhow.

I know... just givin' ya a friendly poke in the ribs...:biggrinbounce2:

Gary

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy Boy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of s$!t. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Well I monkeyed with the carb settings on my 345 again, I have it running as rich as the EPA caps will allow it to on both idle and high speed adjustments. Now it starts more easily and does not hesitate when I open the throttle quickly. I still notice a lack of power and tendency to stall when I get into anything over 10", but that is to be expected of a saw under 35cc's. Was working good this afternoon until I put the bar in the gravel and instantly dulled the chain. Half an hour later I did the same thing to a borrowed 044. Sometimes I just never learn.

Well I monkeyed with the carb settings on my 345 again, I have it running as rich as the EPA caps will allow it to on both idle and high speed adjustments. Now it starts more easily and does not hesitate when I open the throttle quickly. I still notice a lack of power and tendency to stall when I get into anything over 10", but that is to be expected of a saw under 35cc's. Was working good this afternoon until I put the bar in the gravel and instantly dulled the chain. Half an hour later I did the same thing to a borrowed 044. Sometimes I just never learn.
You need to get those caps off and adjust a little richer, on the low you won't have any hesitation and on the high you'll find more torque and you won't burn it up running to lean. Steve

Was working good this afternoon until I put the bar in the gravel and instantly dulled the chain. Half an hour later I did the same thing to a borrowed 044. Sometimes I just never learn.

My brother in law wanted to borrow my 044 yesterday and I told him "I don't loan that one". I felt pretty bad, still do. He didn't want to use my 038 or 55R, so cut the tree for him.
I don't think he knows how much I like that saw.
I need some moral support from fellow saw lovers:)

Latest posts

Back