Echo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother in law wanted to borrow my 044 yesterday and I told him "I don't loan that one". I felt pretty bad, still do. He didn't want to use my 038 or 55R, so cut the tree for him.
I don't think he knows how much I like that saw.
I need some moral support from fellow saw lovers:)

I dont loan any of my saws. I have only let 2 people operate my 441, and I was right there, and they were experienced with a chainsaw.

My brother in law wanted to borrow my 044 yesterday and I told him "I don't loan that one". I felt pretty bad, still do. He didn't want to use my 038 or 55R, so cut the tree for him.

Chainsaw rule #1:Never loan your saws!
Take your picky azz bro in law saw shopping. Let him see just how much a pro saw actually costs. A mechanic I once knew said if you need to borrow a tool more than once then you need to buy your own anyway. There are a bunch of members here at AS that I would have no qualms about trying one out at a gtg. An average or typical person, no way Jose. Besides, you might be held liable if by any chance they hurt themselves.

Just got an Echo CS-306 2 months ago. Mostly because opinions here (for years) have been good for Echo. I can't talk of reliability yet but it sure is light and cuts through 6" oak and black locust no sweat. Had the dealer install a 12" bar instead of the 14". It hardly feels like you're carrying anything while limbing off the little top sticks of a falled tree. Only problem is that you may be tempted to cut the larger stuff with the CS-306 and it isn't up to that task. The $200.00 mentioned is is right on. The 5-year (consumer) warranty REQUIRES using Echo's Power Blend full synthetic mix oil. Has Kioritz Corp. (Tokyo) stamped all over it and I like it alot.

A couple of guys have Echos around here and seem to think they're OK, even if they are generally underpowered for their class.

I was looking at a HD Echo for a limbing saw a little while back but I changed my mind after reading a few AS.com posts on the Stihl 009L. I managed to pick up a good used one on eBay for less than $30, replaced the fuel line, fixed up the oiler scabbed a clutch onto it from some MS170 parts I have laying around and presto, great little limbing saw for 1/10 the cost.

Since, I picked up a little Poulan Micro XXV for my buddy for the same reasons. That one actually cost me $1 + shipping and after a fuel + impulse line change, it's as good as the 009L.

If you tinker at all, limbing saws come cheap.

The 5-year (consumer) warranty REQUIRES using Echo's Power Blend full synthetic mix oil.

Doesn't it say Power Blend or equivalent I think it is violation of Moss-Magnusonn??? (not sure I got that right) to require only their brand.

I might be wrong...

Dan

You made the right choice. I have let one person run my 441 but I was present.

Echo makes a great saw for the money, anyone who says different is either ignorant, or so biased it's nausiating.

I love my CS-520 with 20" bar. It always cranks on 1-2 pulls and idles so nice. It's quiet, smooth as silk, and has tons of power for the weight.

I setup a pair of CS-370's for the place my dad works, both purchased from HD for 270 apiece. Both cranked right up when fuel was added, ran perfect with no adjustments. They were actually not too lean to run. The ECHO oil is good, doesnt foul plugs, or clog up the muffler screen. It also has a stabilizer in it already, so your fuel stays fresher, longer.

The Warranty is actually 5 to LIFE.

I downloaded the Warranty overview...

"The 5 year consumer warranty covers the entire unit for 5 years, of non-profit, or residential use. This is a limited warranty.

EXCEPTIONS- The electronic ignition is covered for the LIFE of the machine for PARTS ONLY.

The bar, chain and sprocket are covered from defects in manufacturing for a length of 60 days.

That is a very reasonable warranty.:rock: Better than Stihl, Dolmar, OR Husky.:clap:

This is bringing back an ooold thread but thought I would throw my .02 in.

My Dad just bought an Echo cs-306 last week cause he wanted something lighter for the smaller stuff than his 350 Husky.(he is 78 years old)

We tried it out this morning. Started out on the smaller limbs and did pretty good, better than I expected to be honest, so we thought we would try it some bigger stuff. 12" Oak took 13 seconds to cut through with the factory chain and on the first tank of gas in the saw and didn't reset the carb yet. That wasn't forcing it either just let her cut on its own. For a little 30cc saw I must say I was impressed. Get a couple more tanks of gas through it and reset the carb a bit and shes gonna do fine.

I would recommend a 345/3450/346 over the 306. These are the same weight(7.5# powerhead), 10% more displacement, and run 3/8 .050 chain vs the 3/8 .043 on the 306. My favorite limbing saw is a 3450 purchsed used, and wearing a 14" bar. It is noticeably more powerful than my 306, and the chain doesn't dull nearly as fast.

Stepping up to the 370 or 400 adds 2.5-3# weight, but noticeably more power is reported.

The real deal in a lightweight, excellent quality saw is the Makita DCS401. This blue Dolmar has been replaced by a newer model, but new examples can be had for $225+ S&H on Ebay. 8.8# powerhead, magnesium cases, decompression button, 16" 3/8 .050 bar & chain.

Quoting you here bcorradi: (Speaking of warranties...i bought a new moen kitchen faucet last year which has a lifetime warranty on it. About 2 or 3 months ago it has started leaking ....but I need to send it in for them to honor the warranty. What the hell am i going to do in the meantime without a kitchen faucet? At the time of purchase I thought "hey this must be a good faucet since it has a lifetime warranty", but there isn't much practicality to the warranty.)

One thing you got to watch buying at big box stores is that the products are not of top quality. I know for a fact if you buy a moen faucet at lets say Lowes it has plastic junk inside instead of brass but if you go to a supply house and buy the same model it will have brass and be more expensive but quality. Same goes for saws from big box stores. Pretty much you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Quoting you here bcorradi: (Speaking of warranties...i bought a new moen kitchen faucet last year which has a lifetime warranty on it. About 2 or 3 months ago it has started leaking ....but I need to send it in for them to honor the warranty. What the hell am i going to do in the meantime without a kitchen faucet? At the time of purchase I thought "hey this must be a good faucet since it has a lifetime warranty", but there isn't much practicality to the warranty.)

One thing you got to watch buying at big box stores is that the products are not of top quality. I know for a fact if you buy a moen faucet at lets say Lowes it has plastic junk inside instead of brass but if you go to a supply house and buy the same model it will have brass and be more expensive but quality. Same goes for saws from big box stores. Pretty much you get what you pay for.

Not really a fair comaprison..

If you go to HD and Buy an Echo CS-440, it is the exact same CS-440 you will get an any Authorized Echo Dealer. You will also pay the same price, as the pricing is set by Echo.

The ECHO warranty does require you to take it to an Echo service Center for repairs...not asking much, just take it to a dealer.

How the faucet thing related to the topic is because some people feel reassurance buying a product just because it has a long or a lifetime warranty. If a problem does happen they find out the warranty is pretty much a joke anyhow.

Depends on the company. Most I've had dealings with will send replacement/repair parts directly to the customer at no charge. Just call them and tell them your faucet model number, and they'll send the parts.

Latest posts

Back