Eco Fan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have the 800 model. Been using it for a year on my Jotul F3. (See avatar pic.) I'm very happy with it. It works very well.... starts spinning when the stovetop hits ~200F and really cranks when the fire is hot. I love that it uses no electricity, makes no noise, and turns itself on and off as needed. My non-scientific testing shows that the temperature in the room is more even with it.

We have the smaller of the three they make. I paid about $120 for it (what they retailed for at the time)....... it lasted just over a year (out of warranty, naturally) before it crapped out and now just barely spins. When it DID work as it was supposed to, I'd call it 90% novelty, and 10% effective. It just plain doesn't move much air. I did like the fact that i didn't need an electrical cord to run it. I think for the money they get for them......... there is a much better option.

Last edited:
I own a Eco Fan 3 blade model.

1) The Eco Fan has a wide disbursement meant to move heat not air.
You will not feel a big breeze when using the EcoFan, but if you stand about 4-5 feet away and hold a paper towel up, you will see it being pushed by the air the fan creates. Typically when you want to distribute heat you do not want a great deal of wind.

2) The EcoFan is a good indication into how hot the stove is since it does not start spinning until your stove top is at least 350. Just by glancing at the speed of the fan you can normally gage how hot it is.

3) The EcoFan works best in a wide open area, for me I have mine installed in the SW corner of my basement. With the EcoFan on the stove the NE corner gains about 2-3 degrees.

4) No electricity needed.

One thing to note: If you get it above 650 you will burn the fan motor out, I heard that you might be able to replace the fan motor at Radio Shack since t is just a tape recorder motor.

After I used the Aspen fan I sold my Eco fan. I had the 3 blade Eco.

The Aspen is far superior to the eco.

http://www.aspensystems.com/self-powered-fans.html

Can you post a review of the Aspen, I seen these fans on Ebay but the videos that were posted didn't show them in use on a woodstove.

Things I would like to know is what is the operating temp range?
Do these fans have good performance on the modern EPA stoves?
The stove I have TL-300 it's normal stove top operating temp is between 400-550.

Any inside info would be helpful.

Can you post a review of the Aspen, I seen these fans on Ebay but the videos that were posted didn't show them in use on a woodstove.

Things I would like to know is what is the operating temp range?
Do these fans have good performance on the modern EPA stoves?
The stove I have TL-300 it's normal stove top operating temp is between 400-550.

Any inside info would be helpful.

Click on the link I posted above.
I used both fans on an Englander NC 30. It’s a EPA stove
They both started up quickly but I didn’t get a temp on the stove top.
There’s no comparison between the two when it comes to moving air.
I’ll check my stove top temp when I get a chance and let you know.
It would work fine with your stove temps.

Last edited:
For what they charge, the payback is rather small. From what I've experienced, stirling engines have issues with longevity. One would get more utility from a solar or wind powered setup which could be used to power various small appliances, including a stove fan.

Even a 150W solar panel with charge controller can do more than most would surmise.

When they get stirling engine tech more robust, durable.....and bring the price down, it might become more appealing.

TS

yes, i know, i meant the blower that most stoves use. Im saying that the aspen and eco have the potential to save a little energy

Sorry chainsawaddict, :greenchainsaw: that post was for techstuf who was talking about stirling engines.

Thanks, for all of the replies. I don’t think this going to work for me. I have to burn my stove around 650 degrees when the temperature is around zero. I know I occasionally blow by 750 degrees.

Thanks, for all of the replies. I don’t think this going to work for me. I have to burn my stove around 650 degrees when the temperature is around zero. I know I occasionally blow by 750 degrees.

are you running a blower on your stove when you go that high?

If not, you might be able to get by running it a little lower if you are moving air a little better.

Just something to think about.:)

No, there is no blower! It is an old fisher stove. I control the heat by limiting the air intake. This is the first year that I have had a year of seasoned wood. It burns much better and it took me only 23 years to learn it! The stove is in the lower level of a tri-level. The heat rises up to the open upper levels.

That Aspen video is intriguing....I errantly assumed by the picture of the ecofan, that it was stirling engine powered.

I'll bet that Aspen comes at a price that only taxpayer fund appropriator could love!

TS

That Aspen video is intriguing....I errantly assumed by the picture of the ecofan, that it was stirling engine powered.

I'll bet that Aspen comes at a price that only taxpayer fund appropriator could love!
TS

You can get the Aspen for $194 including shipping on ebay.

Last edited:
Back