Economy chain grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa Joker, off base totally!!

I am not hyper eco sensitive by any means!. I still see cigarette butts on my farm from the person whom I bought it from 7 yeears earlier when he had crews logging.

Not only is smoking dangerous to one's health (an everyine aw/in 25 feet) , it is a firehazard and most smokers litter w/ impunity. I know, I grew up w/ chain smokers as parents.

My post was not quick to judge, nor was it defensive. Funny thing how this medium causes people to jump to conclusions since they do not have the added benefit of emphasis of voice and inflection of tone.

Thanks for the comments however.

Mark Dominesey

Thanks Russ, & group. I think I'll keep filing for now, and practice my freehand technique. I know the proof is in the pudding as they say. If it cuts good it is good........... Say, do they have filing competitions at the Clearwater type events? Could be a new catagory. Of course, nobody would want to divulge their secret technique.........

My post was not quick to judge, nor was it defensive. Funny thing how this medium causes people to jump to conclusions since they do not have the added benefit of emphasis of voice and inflection of tone.
Thats the thing about the internet. Its hard to tell some ones intentions with out the benifit of sight, and hearing. Jokers comes across as quit abrasive at times, but I know hes not. He just has a no nonsense style that is easly confused with out the senses mentioned above. BTW I hate cigs.

Last edited:
Ben, Thanks for the words of support on my behalf, and your point about my communication style is well taken. I will try to work on that because frankly, anybody posting here has a common interest with me and I like to be able to give and take with them and sometimes mix it up a little, all in good fun. Russ

Thanks for stating that so well, Russ. I appreciate your ability to state what you mean in a no-nonsense manner without sounding critical (like I usually do :rolleyes: ).

And I'd love to be able to quit smoking. But it took me almost 20 years before I was able to quit drinking, and hopefully I can attack the smoking thing soon. I know it's a nasty habit and I'm very much aware of where my cigarette butts go. They either get flipped into the back of my pickup or stuffed in my pocket. Littering customer's lawns with my trash is not acceptable. Never has been.

And you're right about the conditions of logging in the woods versus doing residential/ commercial trimming and removals, Mark. I've never done any logging but I'd imagine it's a lot harder on the chain. I was only trying to express Russ's point about how long it takes to swap out a chain in the field. Not only do you get trash sandwiched in between the bar and case (and usually in the oil hole), but when you get home you have a bunch of dull chains. I can touch up a chain as fast as I can swap one out, and I'm not toting home dull chains to sharpen at night. It did take practice to get to that point, though.
One of the features I like on the Stihl chain (and I think Oregon is using it now also) is the 'cheat line' etched in the top of each tooth. Like Russ, I take the same number of strokes on each tooth, matching my top angle to the 'cheat line'. Without that line my angles would probably be off fairly quickly.

LOSTWATER, You are looking for the wrong thing on your farm; look for mushrooms, dear tracks, ginsing, and wild turkeys. Forget the Coke cans and cigarette buts; you can't much about them. Dwell on the positive!

Stuff on Farm

Hey Tony,

I have found much on my farm. The deer, I shoot a one or two a year and my neighbours and friends shot 4 or so between all of them and there still are too many. 4 foot tall rats, I say.

I also found the merkels as well. They make good fried in batter or just stewed in butter, Yum.

The ginseng, I haven't much found. There is someone who buys it in town. Maybe I oughta get off my rear and learn how to identify, a potential wild cash crop is in ginseng.

I see turkeys quite often, but I have never shot any. Bobcat too, I get close enough to them, but I find them so pretty that I probably won't take any of them.

I do get pissed off by the amount of trash that is still around though. It makes you wonder why some people are such morons and are not good conservationists and stewards of their land. It is frustrating, nevertheless.

Remember all, conservatism and conservationism go hand in hand and are not mutually exclusive.

Thanks for the comments,

Mark

I agree with 165 and Tony. If you maintain your chains like 165 does it's much better to file. If you have employees that don't have the same concern for the equipment that you do and occassionally use it as a ditchwitch or a cut off machine (on sidewalks or driveways) it can be very time consuming with a file. I check my saws as they come in and if they need sharpened or if the chains have been changed during the day I collect them up and put them on the grinder. With a truly dull chain I feel it takes longer with a file. Also, if a lag bolt knocks a cutter off it can take a long time with a file to take a cutter half way back once the chain has been repaired.

Hello
Can anyone out there answer Tony Snyder's question (and my own)
Which budget grinders have a reversable motor?
thanks for the answer
Frans

If I am in clean wood, I can easily run all day on a single chain. At night it usually takes 2 strokes with the handfile per cutter and about 4-5 minutes for a 20" I have seen nice looking sharpeners for a Dremel tool, but just haven't thought it necessary when handfiling works so good. One of the biggest things to keeping a chain sharp is to keep it tight. Proper chain tension does wonders to help the edge.

Hi Tony, the new Silvey 510 I bought earlier this year is reversable. I don`t know of any economy grinder available in the US that is reversable. Silvey does not have a website that I know of, did you contact the guy who`s email address I sent you? Russ

Silvey Razur Sharp

Hello
I will second the hurrah for the Silvey Razor Sharp grinder. It has a reversible motor,and is an economy square chain grinder.I have used mine regularly since 88 and would hate to be without it. Have had to replace a few parts on it but still think it is a dandy.

Belsaw

Steve here,
I just recently picked up a used Foley Belsaw 308 chain grinder,
on Ebay...Works great for gullets and rakers. Really compliments my razur sharp, As well as the chipper chain I may need to grind.
Steve

django,

A couple of years ago, I purchased a Tecomec FL 136 grinder. It ran me about $275.00. It is not reversible, but can accomodate any modern chain, and can grind rakers too.

While I agree that handfiling is the way to go, there are times that a chain is so severely damaged that only a machine will do.

The unit has paid for itself many times over already. You see, neighbors and friends will soon learn that you posess such a tool. You don't charge anything. Then, when you need an extra pair of strong hands, you have them.

If you really feel generous, you can fire up the air compressor and clean out their saw too.

An ex tree business colleague also drops his chains off to me. Him I charge $3.00 a pop. He picks them up off my doorknob the next morning. Overnight service for $3.00, sometimes even while-you-wait. Can't get that at the hardware store or saw shop. I can usually pay my truck insurance bill with what that little grinder makes me.

Get a grinder. There's alot worse you can do with your money.

Latest posts

Back