Educate me !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugnutz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok I know enuff about saws to get by with. But the more I look at saws the more questions I come up with as well as the more I read on here. So I'll start this off with just a few questions that have me wonderin.

Chain pitch: 3/8 vs .325 I've seen most moderate saws have a 3/8 pitch and the smaller saws for limbing have a .325. It made since till I saw a few saws that you could get either pitch in. I'm assuming that a 3/8 pitch will take out a bigger bite with each pass than the .325?

Safety chains: Ok my Wildthang has low kickback chain on it, I believe it is an Oregon 91VJ 062 (although on their website I only found VG but I've had my saw 8 years and things might have changed) and I'm looking at a 91VX with the same 62 drive links for a 18" bar. Are there any other chains that are more aggressive that will work or do I need to stay with the 91 V(add a letter here)? To someone that doesn't know about these things it looks like if I found a chain that is 3/8 .050 and has 62 drive links I should be in good shape, I just want to make sure.

Thanks
Rick

The main thing to keep in mind when switching chains is that the bar, rim sprocket, and chain all have to have the same pitch. The bar and chain also have to have the same width. Full chisel cuts fast but dulls fast, especially in dirty conditions. Semi chisel is in between, cuts more slowly but isn't dulled as fast by dirty wood. There are others too, but I never bother with them personally.

http://www.baileysonline.com/sawchainXref.asp

Have a look at this, and in the meantime somebody else will probably post more info that will help you out.

thank you WillSaw, Bailey's turned out to be a wealth of info. Just wondering about switching from low profile to standard profile chain and if it will have any ill effects.

Just wondering about switching from low profile to standard profile chain and if it will have any ill effects.

Just a newbie here, but...

I don't think that you can switch. 3/8 LP is not a full .375 pitch; I think it's 0.36-something.

I don't think you want to switch. 3/8 LP is good for a low-powered saw. 3/8 will require a very gentle hand to keep it from stalling.

If you want to cut faster, try a 3/8 low-profile with less intrusive safety features, or try a non-safety 3/8 LP.

You might find that a shorter bar suits this saw better - check out the Arbormax low-profile bar/chain combos at Bailey's.

Just a newbie here, but...

I don't think that you can switch. 3/8 LP is not a full .375 pitch; I think it's 0.36-something.

I don't think you want to switch. 3/8 LP is good for a low-powered saw. 3/8 will require a very gentle hand to keep it from stalling.

If you want to cut faster, try a 3/8 low-profile with less intrusive safety features, or try a non-safety 3/8 LP.

You might find that a shorter bar suits this saw better - check out the Arbormax low-profile bar/chain combos at Bailey's.

Yes!

THESE narrow kerf bar & chains really wake up the small saws...

I've got 'em on a Husky fifty, fifty one & fifty five, all 20".

Turned the fifty five into my favorite small saw.

hey alright !! now I'm starting to wrap my mind around how it all fits together now. thank you for the information. looks like my 5100s is gonna be on hold for a while till I see how work holds out for me. so I'm stuck with the WildThang for now, which I'm ok with since its the only saw I've ever used. With a new chain and maybe a smaller bar along with the muffler mod it might be like gettin a new saw!! :jawdrop: ok almost like gettin a new saw.

hey 2 bars might be a good option to 2 saws for now:clap:

Thanks again guys
Rick

Watch the Baileys flyer...not long ago you could get a 16" narrow kerf bar AND a chain for just over $20.

I found this at baileys as well (Did not notice the other post was for a chain and bar combo )

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=CFC+16+EP50&catID=708

that with the 91vx chain sounds like a deal to me. seems bailey's has it all and their prices are really good from what I can tell.

Can't thank you guys enuff. Now if I could just figure out how to get the limiter caps modified on the carb to richen it up a bit more for the muffler mod I did :popcorn:

Last edited:
Probably has the carb adjusters that take the special tool that another thread on here was discussing in the last couple of days. There is/was one in the trading post for $9.99 as of yesterday.

figured it out

found a post on here that explained the limiters in more detail...pullem off with needle nose pliers...done!! pulled em off adjusted carb then put them back on so if they move due to vibration it will be very little!!

Latest posts

Back