Efco 152

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A guy I work with has a John Deere cs52 which is the same saw, and he has had good luck with it. I have a Deere cs 56 and it has been a really good saw.

How much work have they done and how old!
Any problems at all?
Do you know what the crankcases are made of?
atb

The 152 is the homeowner model. I think it has the plastic cases. The 156 would be the smallest Efco pro grade saw. Efco, John Deere, and Cub Cadet are all the same machines. I,ve had a Cub 156 and it was a good saw. A step below a Husky 359 but a good reliable saw. The break in period seemed to be a little longer on that saw maybe 6 tanks or so but it woke up well. I've heard that the throttle trigger linkage might be a little weak but have never heard much else. I've never run a 152 but have run a 46 JD and it ran as expected. I think you'll like it. Let us know.

I think Efco's are the most underated saws out there. Now that they're sold at Northern Tool, people who have never heard of the think they are Chi-Com junk.

The 152 is the homeowner model. I think it has the plastic cases. The 156 would be the smallest Efco pro grade saw. Efco, John Deere, and Cub Cadet are all the same machines. I,ve had a Cub 156 and it was a good saw. A step below a Husky 359 but a good reliable saw. The break in period seemed to be a little longer on that saw maybe 6 tanks or so but it woke up well. I've heard that the throttle trigger linkage might be a little weak but have never heard much else. I've never run a 152 but have run a 46 JD and it ran as expected. I think you'll like it. Let us know.

I think Efco's are the most underated saws out there. Now that they're sold at Northern Tool, people who have never heard of the think they are Chi-Com junk.

http://www.efco-uk.co.uk/Livello.jsp?idMarchio=2&idFamiglia=373

Its classed about the same as a Husky 353, intensive use.
Surely not plastic crankcases

Efco

I have not done anything to mine, and it has cut a lot of wood. I work at a Deere dealer andI have seen a couple with trigger issues but nothing too major. I just can't remember how we fixed them.

Which model do you have Aaron?
Does the 152 have plastic crankcases if not what are they made of?
atb

have the 147/45cc for the back of the wheeler. been running it now for 6 months with no problem. light saw for the price and not the junk of the poulans.... used close to 10 gallons of gas with it so it should be broke in hey!! geting close to a half cord with a sharp chain on clean wood per tank... time will tell....

Cs 56

Mine is a CS56. 3/8 full chisel chain and 16" bar. The crankcases are magnesium on all of the Deere CS chainsaws.

I have the Oleo-mac 952 which is the same saw, and it has plastic crankcases, I find it cuts well and runs well.
The next model is the 56cc and that has mag cases/metal handle, as does the 62cc.
I have beat that saw and it has taken everything I have thrown at it.
Mine has the Walbro HDA carb, the newer models have a Zama not sure it makes any difference TBH.
I paid €180 for mine, it was secondhand but I don't think it had ever been used, I dumped the old mix and filled it with fresh full syn mix and have never looked back.
I know a guy who sells Oleomac and thinks they are great saws for the price.

Simonian's saw shop in California has begun seling Efco after Husky and Jonsered yanked internet sales. He has some pretty good pic's of the 152 here:

http://www.simoniansawservice.com/152.html

Mag crankcase/main housings, plastic gas tank and shrouds, like everybody else. Looks like a well-made saw.
But that's not to say the European saws are the same.

Nothing I read above states what the 152's cases are made of. The pictures of the 156 clearly show the cases are magnesium.

The reason I still think it has plastic cases is the differance in price between the 2. CS156 is $520. The CS152 is $388. I couldn't see anything that stated the weight of the 156.

When Cub Cadet had these saws. The 156 was mag, the 152 was plastic.

Those Cubs were mainly sold at Tractor Supply in our area. The Cub Cadet comercial dealers didn't handle them here.

They were cleared out like the John Deeres were this winter on E-Bay. I got mine for a great deal to. I sold it when I picked up my J-Red 2065, and put the money towards a Dolmar 7900.

If you watch E-Bay you'll still catch the JD's new. There was a CS 62 last week. The guy I got my CS 81 from had an 81 last week also. His handle is igutoskie. I got the 81 for $450 shipped. My neighbor got a CS62 for like $279.. My buddy got his 46 for like $110 buy it now. The 62 and 81 are the best saws out of that whole line up. The older ones had the big Homelite bar mount pattern. The newer Efco's have the large Husky mount.

I aint buying a saw with plastic crankcases, that to me is not a pro saw.

I feel a bit hoodwinked:dizzy:

The saw is coming mail order, ordered it Friday late.

Closed today but i have send an email and left a message on the phone to cancel my order, hopefully they will get it in time otherwise i will post it back.

Burger

It depends what you paid for it as to whether it was good value or not.
Like I say, I bought mine 2nd hand and have been satisfied with it for the money I paid (€180)
You are not going to get a new pro saw of any flavour for under £400.
If you are looking to pay 400 snots for a new saw look at this link Thats not a bad price for a 346NE
The 152 is not a bad saw,it just has plastic cases.

Simonian's saw shop in California has begun seling Efco after Husky and Jonsered yanked internet sales. He has some pretty good pic's of the 152 here:

http://www.simoniansawservice.com/152.html

Mag crankcase/main housings, plastic gas tank and shrouds, like everybody else. Looks like a well-made saw.
But that's not to say the European saws are the same.

That pic is a little misleading, the top pic with the mag cases also has a metal handle, the ones below don't.

Latest posts

Back