EFCO lovers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
Reaction score
Well, I must say. I never ran my BIL 's John Deere Green EFCO before today, but wow. I always let him run his saw and Id run all mine. I gotta say, I didn't think it would be as good as it was, I ran 5 tanks through his saw tonight and was wildly surprised. He has a little CS-52, I thought my 026 was a great 50 cc saw, but I was quite impressed with his little EFCO. Any you other guys like the EFCO saws? I think Im gonna have to pull the base gasket out of my 026 to make it regain the 50cc dominance in the family. I ran his saw while he stacked the wood, we were at his houes, and I know I don't like stacking but I just didn't want to put it down. Now let me say it is by NO means a 70cc firewood machine. You can't lean on it like a big saw, but for what it is I was impressed.

I had an Efco 40cc model earlier this year (MT 4000?) and thought it performed very well. Felt stronger than my Dolkita DCS390 .. which was all I had to compare against at the time. Took a look under the covers and my impression of the build quality was good as well!

I have a cs56 with muffler mod and 3/8 that runs circles around my stock 361. No issues with the 56, and it has a TON of hours on it. Love the saw but the antivibe isn't as good as the 361 and it is LOUD and stinky :D

I have a new 56 and a JD 47(I think it's a 47). They are my favorite saws. A friend of mine opened a new Efco dealership a while back, and I decided to get the 56, after some dealer persuasion. I got a nice rebate on that saw after purchase. Very well-built saws!

I have a Deere colored CS-56 and I agree its a very well built saw. I got it from a farmer however and whatever he did to it, almost every bolt hole is either stripped or almost stripped. Wood screws holding the recoil on.:confused:

I've ran it a bit and like the saw but I'm going to have to spend some time drilling and tapping out a lot of holes.

I got a couple of CS36s and some CS62s from the local Deere shop when they changed over to Stihl.
Sold one of the 36s and all but one 62 on AS, the guy who got the 36 was not impressed, but the 62s are not that far behind a MS361.

Yes, the 62cc should be really close regarding power and weight, but I believe the specs were a bit optimistic. It likely was the best saw(s) EFCO ever made, but there has been some complaints about the AV, and general fit and finish.
Personally, I simply don't like the looks of those saws, they look cheaper made than they actually are, I believe.....

I love my Efco saws. I have a 956, 156, 6-165, MT7200, 181, 2-MT8200. Just finished doing a WP on the 956. Haven't cut with it yet but it feels very torqy. IMO they are a very well built saw. The bad is poor warehousing for replacement parts. 156 or 165 is getting a 962 P&C later. Haven't decided which one. 156 would convert to 962. 165 would be a stroked 962. Info the CS56 and 956 cyl. are dual transfers like 262 husky. 156, 956 have quad transfers like 372 Husky.
Shep

I love my Efco saws. I have a 956, 156, 6-165, MT7200, 181, 2-MT8200. Just finished doing a WP on the 956. Haven't cut with it yet but it feels very torqy. IMO they are a very well built saw. The bad is poor warehousing for replacement parts. 156 or 165 is getting a 962 P&C later. Haven't decided which one. 156 would convert to 962. 165 would be a stroked 962. Info the CS56 and 956 cyl. are dual transfers like 262 husky. 156, 956 have quad transfers like 372 Husky.
Shep
Does the quad transfers actually start in the case, like on the Huskys?

...and the 956 can't have both dual and quad ports, like you stated - unless it has to do with when the saw was made, and not what version it is?:confused:

Last edited:
Troll, the cylinders changed from dual to quad ports at some point. Motors are as good as anything out there as far as durabilty goes, and close in performance. The rest of the saw is not up to par in my opinion. Dated in features, questionable in durability under hard use.

Troll, the cylinders changed from dual to quad ports at some point. Motors are as good as anything out there as far as durabilty goes, and close in performance. The rest of the saw is not up to par in my opinion. Dated in features, questionable in durability under hard use.

That fits very well with my impression! :msp_smile:

The one thing I didn't like was the trigger. It felt like I had to push it in further than "flush" to obtain full throttle. Im sure a adjustment could fix it. I didn't feel like looking into it because I had just watched a log roll of the pile and crush my beloved Husqvarna. I wasn't about to wrench on saws just kept cutting. Any of you fellas with these saws know what im talking about with the trigger? Is it a easy fix? It feel like you gotta take your index finger and hold the saw handle in a way to allow the index finger to push the throttle trigger up into the handle.

I have a cs56 with muffler mod and 3/8 that runs circles around my stock 361. No issues with the 56, and it has a TON of hours on it. Love the saw but the antivibe isn't as good as the 361 and it is LOUD and stinky :D
I have a 156 and Love it!! It's a few years old now and too has cut a lot of wood. I don't know how you can beat it for a firewood saw all things considered.

I have a Deere colored CS-56 and I agree its a very well built saw. I got it from a farmer however and whatever he did to it, almost every bolt hole is either stripped or almost stripped. Wood screws holding the recoil on.:confused:

I've ran it a bit and like the saw but I'm going to have to spend some time drilling and tapping out a lot of holes.
Do it Chris!! It's most definately worth it!

I still have 2 152 Efco's, 1 each of 7200 and 980. Sold all my 156,165 and 962s. The new MT 6500 looks nice but too heavy. 63cc built on the 7200 frame with updated features.

I still have 2 152 Efco's, 1 each of 7200 and 980. Sold all my 156,165 and 962s. The new MT 6500 looks nice but too heavy. 63cc built on the 7200 frame with updated features.

Well, I don't think I would want that 63cc saw - actually I know I wouldn't! I suspect they all (980, 7200 and 6500) are on a "frame" that really was made for an 81cc saw, and too heavy for even the 7200..... :msp_wink:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back