Efco???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantis

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new saw.I have a 55 rancher but I want something with a little more power...(or a lot more power)anyway more power. I will be using the 55 for a backup.I was considering either another Husq. or a stihl. Northern tools.com used to sell the husq brands but now they sell EFCO (not echo)Has anyone heard of this brand and r they reliable.I cut my own fire wood in northern NY about 20 Face Chord for myself 50-60 for my parents.

Efco, made in Italy, well built, reliable, also sold under the name of Olympyk and Oleo-Mac. I have an older Olympyk 970 (71cc), been a great saw for me.

Kevin

I am in the market for a new saw.I have a 55 rancher but I want something with a little more power...(or a lot more power)anyway more power. I will be using the 55 for a backup.I was considering either another Husq. or a stihl. Northern tools.com used to sell the husq brands but now they sell EFCO (not echo)Has anyone heard of this brand and r they reliable.I cut my own fire wood in northern NY about 20 Face Chord for myself 50-60 for my parents.

Yeah, Efco makes a good saw. Stout. I run a 981 (same as a 980, just older) and like it quite a bit, and would recommend it. Northern is pretty pricey - you could buy it cheaper from an Efco dealer. The 962 is also a great saw if you can find one.

1194981.jpg

Josh

Last edited:
Thanks KMB.would you consider this over a husq or stihl?

I don't know...yet. I'm going to be putting back together a Stihl 044 which is about the same size as my 970. I'll be comparing the 2 for sure.

Kevin

Ditto on Northern's prices: you can do better at a big box store or a dealer, depending on what you are looking for.

Hey Mantis, I went to college in Potsdam (Clarkson U) and used to drive through your town all the time. How's the winter up there this year?

every now and then

and wait till you get there shipping quote! :jawdrop:

You can find a "sale" every now and then from Northern tools... I bought a fender from them once.they keep sending me catalogs...Gives me something to read when I am on the toilet... sorry,. to much information

winter

Ditto on Northern's prices: you can do better at a big box store or a dealer, depending on what you are looking for.

Hey Mantis, I went to college in Potsdam (Clarkson U) and used to drive through your town all the time. How's the winter up there this year?

ah yes the big city of potsdam;) the winters suck as they normally do.one day maybe I'll have the sense to move south.So do you miss the north country?

Hey Mantis,
yeah, sometimes I miss the Great White North. It's beautiful country up there and I really miss camping in the Adirondacks. I miss the good parts of snow: nice quiet woods, skiing, etc. I DON'T miss having to shovel it and all that.

Hey Troutfisher,
I worked a summer job at the GM Foundry up there near Massena. Also used to cross the border to Cornwall to the Canadian beer outlet place.

Brings back memories.

im way cheaper than northern by the way we can get a efco chainsaw if you need one cheaper than you can buy at northern

Husky or Efco

I have a 455 rancher Husky and just this fall bought an Efco 52 cc I think. I love it and prefer it to my husky. The action is nice and the compression button is great.

Latest posts

Back