Elasto-start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug,
They can be used on any saw as long as you don't mind having 'Stihl' embedded on the grip. They look like any other starter handle because the spring is inside. The only thing to check for when picking one up at the Stihl dealer is to get the one with the proper size rope.

A combination of the Elasto Start and not drop-starting your saws (dragging the rope out at a sharp 90* bend under pressure) will virtually eliminate starter rope breakage. I cannot honestly remember the last time I broke a starter rope on a saw.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I've never had any real problem with starting my saws, I'm just interested in new things that I've never heard of before. I almost always use the comp release on the 3120 and certainly always when it's cold. I don't drop start it unless it's already warm, I have a shorter bar on it and I'm chest deep in the bush. Other than that, it's always on solid ground with my right foot in the rear handle and my left hand on the front.

hands

I guess anybody here has started a lot of saws. When you work on them you pull on it a lot more than you shoul (flooded, leaking oil pump, etc).
Just wondering if anyone is feeling it in their hand, wrist or fingers? Maybe it is just arthritis.

Here ya go.

I was told i had arthritis when i was 16 in my hands...

Maybe slightly off topic, but

Have I got the right spin on this. The cushion in the starter handle takes the jar out of the compression spikes. What really hurts though is when the saw fires before top dead center and tries to pull you and the rope back through that half inch hole? Compression release helps us attain a higher cranking speed so the flywheel is more effective at carrying us past the compression peaks but is it not early ignition that is the biggest problem. Some saw engines are converted to fly Radio Controlled model planes and there electronic ignition modules available that retard the spark till several hundred rpm.s This allows hand flipping the prop a lot easier. QUESTION. How do different saw manufacturers handle this problem. Are some worse than others. Iknow that with an 066 you don't want to tease the rope! If you are going to pull on that rope, PULL on it!

kick

I know about those 066 and 044 that pull the handle out of your hand. The only cure I have ever found is the elastostart.

Kind of like using a strap to pull a car out of a ditch (actually, a school bus). The strap will stretch out, then seems to contract and pop the vehicle right out. That is the way the elastostart works. The stretched rubber insert contracts and pulls the piston past the kickback point.
I prefer it over a compression release.

Elasto-Start IPL Request:

This thread is a dinosaur...I know! I'm looking for the IPL for an Elasto-Start handle for an MS 361. I picked one up today, but I think the dealer gave me the wrong E-S pull handle. It seems like it ought to go on a 250 instead. The part number that I picked-up today was: 0000-190-3401. If someone can help me out in verify this PN - or - providing the correct one...I'd really appreciate it! :cheers:

This thread is a dinosaur...I know! I'm looking for the IPL for an Elasto-Start handle for an MS 361. I picked one up today, but I think the dealer gave me the wrong E-S pull handle. It seems like it ought to go on a 250 instead. The part number that I picked-up today was: 0000-190-3401. If someone can help me out in verify this PN - or - providing the correct one...I'd really appreciate it! :cheers:

1128-190-3400 is what I'm seeing

1128-190-3400 is what I'm seeing

Yeah, I saw that to on the STIHL web-site. I not sure it's correct at all. The IPL to the handle that I received today is not even listed period. So, I think something is amiss? Thanks, Ultra!

I think I'll just start this in a new thread so it's not so dated.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump this, but my cousin (female, less than 5 ft tall) has trouble even starting my Mariner 4hp outboard. Apparently it hurts her hand when it recoils.
She's pretty butch for such a small girl - any use putting an elastostart handle on the outboard? It does need a few good hard puls on choke before it coughs.

The "concept" and the "operation" should work on anything that is
pull-start...from a lawn mower to a (i.e.) high h.p. chipper....etc.

I put one on my Mom's lawn mower...I kept telling her..."pull the
rope...don't 'yank' it"!!!.....to no avail...:confused2:

She's 85...my BIL does her lawn...but she just loves to push mow!!

(And she mows like she was washing clothes on an old wash board...
push..pull..push..pull....back and forth!!) ....LOL!!!!!!

Now she can start it however she pulls the start handle...
A very good product...indeed!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Bringing up this very old thread

Do any of you use the elasto start handle on the largest saws like the 090? If so which model number and where can I get them. My Stihl dealer is quite a ways away from me.

Since I broke my wrist I'm having problems starting mine. Used to just drop start them.

Thanks

the elasto-start is a nice feature, especially on those cold mornings when your hands are frozen. also, if you are having problems with your rope breaking, this could be due to drop starting.

Do any of you use the elasto start handle on the largest saws like the 090? If so which model number and where can I get them. My Stihl dealer is quite a ways away from me.

Since I broke my wrist I'm having problems starting mine. Used to just drop start them.

Thanks

part #1122 190 3400 is the large elasto-start grip with rope.

Back