Elasto-start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm not mistaken, there are three different Elasto-start sizes. They all share the same part number, the only difference being cord diameter.

0000 190 3402 (example application ms 250)

1128 190 3400 (example application ms 361)

1122 190 3400 (example application ms 600)

these are the three that i am aware of (and probably the ones you are talking about). there are no two different stihl parts which share the same part number. also, the replacement ropes are available with the elasto-start necessities present on the rope, just put new rope inside the handle.

If you're gonna cob

Thanks. I already went to the stihl website to see what they had, they said it is a shock absorber and they had a little picture of it as photoed through qualude-vision. I figured it out.

My cobjob (ain't gonna pay 20-30 bucks for that gimmick..this is why I don't own any stihl stuff, just unreal high prices I can't afford, that is what I pay for entire saws) is I will find a real short bungee cord, or piece of bungee cord, take the S hooks out, and tie that between the pull handle and the pull rope. Well, I am going to try that anyway, see if it makes the little mower easier to start for her.

Thanks again, I just didn't get it on what was supposed to be happening there. I really thought the actual entire cord stretched, and/or there was some other mechanism inside the saw.

I think a short, stout spring would be better suited than a bungee cord. A trip to the hardware store should yield an inexpensive spring to use, or find an old recliner, they have all sorts of tough springs in them. Cut the pull rope a few inches from the pull handle and add the spring, fasten it together and you're off.

I think a short, stout spring would be better suited than a bungee cord. A trip to the hardware store should yield an inexpensive spring to use, or find an old recliner, they have all sorts of tough springs in them. Cut the pull rope a few inches from the pull handle and add the spring, fasten it together and you're off.

Valve stem inverted in a large handle, preferably a D handle. Works good, need more stack stem bottoms.

Last edited:

I have a box of oddball springs already, so that's a thought.

A portion of the cord is wrinkled up and "sealed" inside a stretchy rubber insert which resides in the actual handle. As you pull, the insert stretches...

Not all Elastostarts handle/cords are the same. The smallest ones have a spring in tha handle but use a regular cord. The two larger use special cord.

Not all Elastostarts handle/cords are the same. The smallest ones have a spring in tha handle but use a regular cord. The two larger use special cord.

Didn't know that, thanks.

Never used Elasto starts, except on the 440 and up.

For someone who has problems with a lawnmower a snowmobile handle would be a viable option.

Well, that's cool! I'll just mosey on down to my local snowmobile dealer and...err..wait ;)

I'll try the spring and come up with an oversized full grip handle of some kind.

Well, that's cool! I'll just mosey on down to my local snowmobile dealer and...err..wait ;)

I'll try the spring and come up with an oversized full grip handle of some kind.

I seen your in Ga. but there is that thing Al Gore invented.

Dang dog

My dachshund developed a taste for the elastostart on my MS362, chewed it up pretty good one day while I was away. Anyway I went over to the dealer and whined about it and the guy went in back and brought me out a barely used elastostart handle, no charge. Never hurts to ask.

I seen your in Ga. but there is that thing Al Gore invented.

I was joking man. Something like that, I can make a larger pull handle. I'm on a big farm, we have like cubic football fields of old junk around here, I'll find something. In fact I think I know where there's an old busted kids wagon, the pull handle from that should work with a bit of high tech custom mods..heh.

I was joking man. Something like that, I can make a larger pull handle. I'm on a big farm, we have like cubic football fields of old junk around here, I'll find something. In fact I think I know where there's an old busted kids wagon, the pull handle from that should work with a bit of high tech custom mods..heh.

It's all golden:cheers: wagon handle may work well

Thanks guys. I've never had any real problem with starting my saws, I'm just interested in new things that I've never heard of before. I almost always use the comp release on the 3120 and certainly always when it's cold. I don't drop start it unless it's already warm, I have a shorter bar on it and I'm chest deep in the bush. Other than that, it's always on solid ground with my right foot in the rear handle and my left hand on the front.

If you started my 044 that way you would pull a muscle in your arm. Don't know if it's the compression or the spark too far advanced but if you don't drop start it it will get you!

Back