Elm Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slackkeymike

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The American Elm is mostly gone? Right? But there are people out there developing resistant varieties...and I see discussions here about various elms. I live in the Tennessee Valley (North Alabama). Are there successful varieties for this locale?

Mike

I have a few fairly mature American Elm on my property. There are a few native species and some non-native that will grow here, North Alabama.
I particularly am fond of Ulmus parvifolia - Chinese Lacebark Elm.

I have a few fairly mature American Elm on my property. There are a few native species and some non-native that will grow here, North Alabama.
I particularly am fond of Ulmus parvifolia - Chinese Lacebark Elm.
i also like the lacebark,,,i have planted some before,,,nice tree

In addition to the aformentioned "Liberty elm", the "Valley Forge elm" and "New Harmony elm" are true American elm (Ulmus americana) cultivars that are resistant to DED. There are a couple of others, but these are the only 3 I have seen commercially available.

I had read in a publication somewhere (can't find it again) that Valley Forge was the most resistant of those 3.

We have an "accolade" elm on campus, but still too young to tell about its resistance. Tree is about 12', been in its current location about 3 years now. (The japanese beetles found it early in July and did some damage).

I think I am going to order a group of different cultivars as insurance. I have read how they developed these...kind of like helping evolution along. Really interesting stuff!

Mike

Back