Enclosed Trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreEmergencyB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My company recently orderd a 14' enclosed trailer so we dont have toload our tools every morning, at every job site, and every time we need to dump. So we are goin to be keeping our stump grinder in there also i was wonering if anyone of you guys out there do that and how do you store everything in there shevles or cabinets any ideas

thanks

My company recently orderd a 14' enclosed trailer so we dont have toload our tools every morning, at every job site, and every time we need to dump. So we are goin to be keeping our stump grinder in there also i was wonering if anyone of you guys out there do that and how do you store everything in there shevles or cabinets any ideas

thanks

Well, not sure what grinder you have, but not going to leave a lot of room in a 14' trailer. Not sure how wide it is either, but I find mine difficult to get down the sides and do anything meaningful when loaded in my trailer. (I usually run it on a 16' landscaping trailer for that reason)

You likely could hang items on walls on each side beside grinder - and have a door for access from one side near front of trailer is important as you will be storing a lot of items near front (to allow easy load and unload of grinder and to keep that weight off of tongue).

Cupboards are a good idea - I found shelves down one side were ok for poles (pole pruners, big stick, etc).. but then had to have pieces on sides up from shelves to ceiling to keep them on shelf - so they don't roll off. Cupboards however still need some partitions in them to keep items from all moving together as you drive. You can never have too much storage space.. but also keep in mind you don't want the spaces to individually be too small.. as then you will not be able to put items in them.

I also tried open box type storage with a front edge to hold items in. Just reach in and take out what you need. Easy to see what is in each one, and items kept stored neatly. Works better than cupboards for some items. You could put something like this down one side and shelving down other. Then perhaps some cupboards at front.

I know of one tree service around here that uses one. We are usually pulling too many other things to use one. I was driving a little GMC Sonoma with a camper shell the past few years. It was perfect for keeping my ropes and climbing gear dry when we caught some weather. It was also nice on gas when prices were nearly $4 a gallon...

we have a rayco 1635 super jr (junk)imo on the website they say its 105 inches long which in a lil less than 9 feet long. Plenty of room in the 14' trailer,

And Jeff what sounds silly to you theres no way this wont save us time/money as we need to load our tools into a dump truck every morning every job site. PITA

and yes we are always pulling around other things also MD 1 truck has the chipper other has the stump grinder...now the other will have stump grinder and gear...the only thing about the enclosed trailer is we really wont be able to use it for big rounds of wood...or will we....

we have a rayco 1635 super jr (junk)imo on the website they say its 105 inches long which in a lil less than 9 feet long. Plenty of room in the 14' trailer,

And Jeff what sounds silly to you theres no way this wont save us time/money as we need to load our tools into a dump truck every morning every job site. PITA

and yes we are always pulling around other things also MD 1 truck has the chipper other has the stump grinder...now the other will have stump grinder and gear...the only thing about the enclosed trailer is we really wont be able to use it for big rounds of wood...or will we....

I guess silly was the wrong word. My guys load up in the morning with what we need and I don't worry about the time it takes (15 minutes ). Do you leave everything in he trailer at night when you go home?
Jeff:)

I will add a photo later for clarification but I had tool boxes fitted into my truck. I lost about 1 1/2 cubic metres of storage but gained so much in saved time and cleaner safer gear. I hate getting to a job and realising that you need that one piece of gear you forgot to bring so I take all the tools to each job.

If I was to do it with a trailer I would put the stump grinder inside and see how much room there was left at the front. Then I would build tool boxes into the frame that opened from the outside over the a frame. Now you have easy gear access in a lockable cabinet. I reckon the addition of polesaw boxes in the top left and top right of the trailer would be very helpful too.

I would use hooks on the back of the rear doors to hang ropes from for ease of access.

We often use the trailer the skid steer lives on to move blocks away if the truck is full. You could do the same if the dump site is close to the job. Blocks in the trailer and go dump whilst the stumps are being ground and the site cleaned.

This is what I have in mind.

attachment.php

Hope it works out.

Clean dry harnesses and ropes are very important.

Oh it will fit into the trailer, but just was pointing out that there will not be a lot of room left.. maybe four or five feet. So, if you put a side door in near front of trailer - then you will have a small area for tools, etc. What about width, is there any room on each side or will it pretty much fill the trailer that way (a foot on each side is not really meaningful from a storage perspective).. but you may be able to put shelving or cupboards above the grinder on each side and use it.

I will add a photo later for clarification but I had tool boxes fitted into my truck. I lost about 1 1/2 cubic metres of storage but gained so much in saved time and cleaner safer gear. I hate getting to a job and realising that you need that one piece of gear you forgot to bring so I take all the tools to each job.

If I was to do it with a trailer I would put the stump grinder inside and see how much room there was left at the front. Then I would build tool boxes into the frame that opened from the outside over the a frame. Now you have easy gear access in a lockable cabinet. I reckon the addition of polesaw boxes in the top left and top right of the trailer would be very helpful too.

I would use hooks on the back of the rear doors to hang ropes from for ease of access.

We often use the trailer the skid steer lives on to move blocks away if the truck is full. You could do the same if the dump site is close to the job. Blocks in the trailer and go dump whilst the stumps are being ground and the site cleaned.

This is what I have in mind.

attachment.php

Hope it works out.

Clean dry harnesses and ropes are very important.

Looks ok, my only concern is it will be difficult to get to front with grinder in trailer and no side door. So.. you need to likely unload grinder at each job. If you do that anyway, then no issue. But is a good design I think.

Or maybe you are showing that you get to the gear storage from the outside - front of trailer. If that is the case then beautiful.. should work well.

Or maybe you are showing that you get to the gear storage from the outside - front of trailer. If that is the case then beautiful.. should work well.

Yes you are correct. From the inside would be a pain in the proverbial.

Actually you could put them front or side depending on the fit of the stump grinder. Either way with a little work it would be a great addition to the crew described in the OP.

I like to mod stuff and add racks and hooks on things to make gear access easier. My Bandit dealer says if I put one more thing on the chipper he will refuse to work on it!

Thought I'd resurrect this ancient post.

Right now all my parking at both of our locations is outdoor. We pretty much stuff our trucks with gear and lock them up at night. It's not an ideal scenario. I was thinking an enclosed trailer would be a good way to organize gear and haul mini skid and vermeer 252.

It's not uncommon that we're missing some annoying key piece of equipment like a clevis shackle. An organized trailer would help with this considerably.

I also realize the sides of these things are fairly flimsy and might take a beating from a tree crew.

Does anyone have any pics of a set up like this?

My trailers are smaller 6x10 enclosed, and 6x12 open tandem with 6’ high side boards, and not used for arboricultural uses, but using “E Track “ could be very useful for your needs

IMG_7261.jpeg
Measure the height of any equipment that you want to floor load, and space a row of E Track a bit higher, by using decking brackets you can use 2x4’s and plywood to put in removable decks above your equipment, but it is not permanent, if you need to load taller equipment

IMG_2893.jpeg
You can install the E Track at any height, or as many rows as you need for your uses. I put the bottom row just above the floor, so I could use E Track “D Rings” and standard ratchet straps to secure wheeled equipment, you can also get straps with E Clips on one end and hooks on the other, there are also all kinds of “U” and “J” hooks, bins and other equipment organizing attachments for E Track to customize your trailer for your needs

IMG_1549.jpeg
I also recommend ordering a trailer with a side door near the front, I prefer the “RV Style “ door, rather than a “Cam Bar” style door, the RV style can be opened from inside the trailer, and isn’t as susceptible to being broken into, a pad lock 🔒 is much easier to cut. Also for the rear ramp door, if you are able to get to it from the inside when loaded, put a single slot piece of E Track, or Eye screw on each side of it and use straps to secure it from the inside, then even if someone cuts the pad locks 🔒 on the outside of the door, they still can’t open it

Nope, I’m not selling E Track or accessories, but having been a truck driver for more than 35 years, I know the advantages that E Track can offer

Doug 😎

Jacob (Guilty of Treeson) recently worked with a company that pulled a small enclosed. You may be able to take some ideas from them.
This should start at the right time, but if it doesn't, skip to 25:08:

Latest posts

Back