Englander stove minus catalytic converter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwiley

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A friend gave me an Englander stove to use to heat my shop. The catalytic converter has been removed from the stove. Will this cause any significant problems?

I am not shure if it will burn correctly without it.On mine there is handle on the right that you pull out and it opens the bypass around the cat for when your getting the fire going and the cat up to temp. When its burnig right the bypass gets closed and the flue gas goes through the cat and gets reburned releasing more heat.I think you can get operating instructions at Englanders web site or if your interested I will let you know how I use mine.You can get a new cat from Condar stove parts and a cat thermomater too. Here are some pics of mine and the cat thermometer on the side.

You could always just replace the Cat. If you do make sure your wood is below 20% moisture content or the Cat won't be happy.

I am inclined to just burn without the catalytic converter since this is for the shop so it only runs on the weekends. Am I going to loose much efficiency without it?

Is there an alternative to a catalytic converter? Is there a simple setup I can put in place of the cat to recapture some heat without spending the money?

I guess I would try it and see how it goes. I did notice that with my [new to me ]cat stove that the chimney stays alot cleaner than my old stove.I think the cat burns up moast of the stuff that would have turned into creosote.Let us know how it works out.:msp_thumbup:

I put a new cat in mine 2 years ago and it was about $150 shipped from that Condar fireplace store. I forgot to add this to my preveous post.

Latest posts

Back