Entry level knot question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsnowdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been working my reforestation project for over 30 years. Consequently, all my work is on the ground. I do now have some cottonwoods roughly 50-60 feet tall I want to drop in a number of places and intend to tension them [so they don't land on some better trees] with a long piece of 5/8 rope I have yet to buy. I will get either a 100 or 150 foot piece, thinking the longer piece could one day be needed. Or is it practical to hook ropes end to end for tensioning?

I am thinking I will get an eye created on one end, and then tie the other end to the tree. Laugh if you will at this simple question, but what is the appropriate knot to use to attach the rope to the tree? Is that the end to have all the slack, or do I want all the slack on the tractor/truck end? Is the eye a good idea? ....do I want a thimble to use, and use it on a clevis?

I have no knot tying experience. I am sure what I will do with this rope will be the easiest thing in the world to most of you. Thoughts on strategy and the right knot?

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back