Estwing or Fiskars ax?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdhunter1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking for a new ax. I am not needing a splitting maul as I have an old Stihl splitting maul head with a hickory handle that is flat out the best one I have used. What I am wanting is an ax that packs well on the belt in a sheath to use for wedges and general ax usage.
I have looked at both the Fiskars and the Estwing. I really like my Estwing hammers, and to me the feel of the ax is right at home. However I know the Fiskar's ax is used by Slamm and several others. I think they are about the same price, if they aren't they probably aren't much different in price.. so to me price isn't the issue.

I know the Fiskar's handle has some flex and give to it, the Estwing is steel and if it bends it's bent..... However I've never bent one of my hammers.
So what's the pros and cons of each?

This is the Estwing: Estwing Camper's Axe (with Sheath)

This is the Fiskars: X15 Chopping Axe (23.5") / Yard and Garden / Products - Buy Online (Price $37.99) - Chopping Axe-23.5 inch, X-series, Axes | Fiskars

I have both

Ironically, I have both of these axes. I have not used either one much but for what you said you want to use it for, I would recommend the Fiskars. The Estwing is quite heavy. I haven't weighed either one and the actual weights may be different than my perception. I am a fan of Estwing hammers and thus like that axe. For our tree service stuff we carry the Fiskars.

As stated, I haven't used either one much. I use a small drilling hammer for putting in wedges that I carry in a pail with my wedges so rarely use the axe for anything. It's a "just in case".

This may not be very relevant, but I have an X27 that I wouldn't trade for a 562XP. I would like an X15 or maybe even something a bit smaller because I am so impressed with the Fiskars.

Nick

One of the guys I work with has a X15 and the X30, you couldn't pry it from his dead fingers! I have the 30 and have been splitting for 35+ years and it's the best I've ever used or seen. No round to big and I MEAN NO ROUND!

Last edited:
I love my estwing hammers. I've been beating staples in fencepost for years with mine. Theyre the best money can buy IMO, unless you got an old school bluegrass hammer.

That said, get the fiskars axe. They are the best in axes IMO.

Fiskars has a few axes in that size one is for chopping and one is for splitting, I have the splitting version that inever get to use becouse my wife thinks it is hers. She loves it and from what I have seen it works great.

I really like Fiskars... for gardening and pruning tools. Never tried the axes so can't speak to how well they work.

Personally, I like the Gransfors Bruks line of axes out of Sweden. Hand forged steel. Quality second to none.

The Fiskars I've used are quite nice. Gransfors are really nice and they're hand made. Thought this video was cool.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E89nlVmPeeU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have had a X25 for use in driving wedges and cutting out of pinches for about 4 years in logging and I love that thing. I recently got a X15 and really like it too. In my book there isn't another axe for work.

Sam

I really like Fiskars... for gardening and pruning tools. Never tried the axes so can't speak to how well they work.

Personally, I like the Gransfors Bruks line of axes out of Sweden. Hand forged steel. Quality second to none.

I often use a small Granfors on wedges, but all splitting is done with different Fiskars splitting axes, some quite old (1998/99). :msp_smile:

Well I guess it is a unanimous decision to use the Fiskar's. I would have thought folks would hae liked the Estwing and it would have been a 50/50 concensus. That's what I get for thinking.

I have a fiskars and absolutely love it. I also have a junior axe (no clue what brand) w/ hickory handle that stays w/ the wedges when I go to the woods, for 15 bucks it handles this task nicely.

Latest posts

Back