Ever heard of a Stihl ms381 ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamhinkley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of a Stihl ms381 ??? Just called someone who is selling one but I cant find anything with Stihl that is a ms381. I asked if it is a ms361 but according to them the saw says 381 on it and they bought it 3 months ago. Anyone know anything about this saw?? Thanks from a saw rookie.

Welcome to AS!!!

No such critter in the states, not sure about outside, but I kinda doubt it. I'd bet it's an ms361, they just can't read that well.
Andy

Welcome to AS!!!

No such critter in the states, not sure about outside, but I kinda doubt it. I'd bet it's an ms361, they just can't read that well.
Andy

So do I, but there is a MS380 sold in parts of the world, basically the same as the 038 Mag II (72 cc/3.6 kW, and heavy).

Thanks for the replys. I am heading out to take a look at this saw and see exactly what it is. I am hopeing it is a ms361. :clap:

What are the odds? I saw this yesterday in Maine. Adam, are you in TX or Maine? I almost drove up to Madison to take a look at it. Too busy trying to get wood in before snow fly..... just got 2" this morning so I think I am done when I unload the last load from the pickup!

From Uncle Henrys here in Maine ----(local thrifty nickel, classifieds, etc..)
MS 381 Stihl saw like new, only used 3mths. bought for $850 asking $400 obo.-Details-Madison, ME.

If you are in Maine, the 460 in New Vinyard for $375 is a good deal too.....

Ed, you are correct. Same ad. I live in Texas but was raised in Maine and travel between Maine and Texas about twice a month. I am hoping that I will be totally back in Maine by this summer. Anyhow, went to Madison and YES this was a ms361!! Just what I have been looking for !! So I picked it up for $350. Now I have my first REAL saw !!! All the trees look so cutable all of a sudden.:chainsaw:

Congrat's Adam!! I was so close to heading up there Thursday night, glad someone that was looking for a 361 got it. I didn't even call him, because I knew if it was a 361, I would have been out the door! (and I just bought a new 361 last month.....) This damn forum, constantly incouraging more saw purchases! Post a pic if you can.

I am in Auburn by the way so if you ever see an Unc Hen deal near me and want me to take a look at it, just hollar.

Thanks !! I havent had a chance to topple any trees yet but I am sure it wont be long !! Ed, when I am in Maine I live in Richmond and summer on North Pond, near Mercer. We visit the Auburn Mall every once in a while. Small world and so many trees to fall !!;)

It's real!
http://www.stihl.co.za/stihl_products_cats.htm?type=103&cat=49

I think the "1" prefix refers to the new spring mounting rather than the old rubber ones.
MS340 rubber became MS341, same with MS360/361, MS440/441 and now the newly spring mounted MS380, the MS381.

The 380/381 is only available in countries without strict air control laws.
South Africa, Mexico, Australia and so on.

It's real!
http://www.stihl.co.za/stihl_products_cats.htm?type=103&cat=49

I think the "1" prefix refers to the new spring mounting rather than the old rubber ones.
MS340 rubber became MS341, same with MS360/361, MS440/441 and now the newly spring mounted MS380, the MS381.

The 380/381 is only available in countries without strict air control laws.
South Africa, Mexico, Australia and so on.

The MS 341, 361, and 441 are completely new saws, not just spring mounted antivibe versions of the 340, 360 and 440. They are completely different saws. You may want to check your info a little better before you make generalizations like this.

Wow I didn't know there existed an MS381. Unless the picture is incorrect it doesn't appear to be spring mounted unless they just recycled an MS380 picture.

The MS 341, 361, and 441 are completely new saws, not just spring mounted antivibe versions of the 340, 360 and 440. They are completely different saws. You may want to check your info a little better before you make generalizations like this.

That sure is right!:D :D

So do I, but there is a MS380 sold in parts of the world, basically the same as the 038 Mag II (72 cc/3.6 kW, and heavy).
Do you have the MS381 in your catalog of spec sheets that you frequently recite? If so, whats the scoop on it? Is it any different then the MS380? Like you say the MS380 is pretty comparible to the 038 Mag I/II, but it does have some newer model saw features like the see through tank, redesigned plastic, elastostart, side tensioner, etc.

Back