Ever hit a sprinkler line with a stump grinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arbordocs - hail fellow well met.
I hope you can accept charitable advice, therefore I'd like to advise you to post advice on your helpful disclaimers and estimates. (One grammar oops I could accept; two birds with the same feather were one too many. :D)

A question I had brought me to this discussion. Unfortunately, what helpful advise I gained from your postings was, Don't ask a question or you will be made to feel stupid and inept. In an industry where many of us operate in states where no education is required, we can all benefit from sharing accurate information with each other. Some day you may benefit from someone else's charitable advise. My question had to do with this same issue. In a litigation happy world, it is my desire to post disclaimers and helpful advise on the back of my estimates. Does anyone have a disclaimer they use for stump grinding, root barriers, etc. in regards to digging. Yes, I ask my clients to contact 811 before digging. Thank you good kind sirs for the valiant knights you are.

Ha, blast from the past,, good ole FTA,,,good time's,,,lol
Anyway, put on your 'man suit' and quit crying,,
Jeff

A question I had brought me to this discussion. Unfortunately, what helpful advise I gained from your postings was, Don't ask a question or you will be made to feel stupid and inept. In an industry where many of us operate in states where no education is required, we can all benefit from sharing accurate information with each other. Some day you may benefit from someone else's charitable advise. My question had to do with this same issue. In a litigation happy world, it is my desire to post disclaimers and helpful advise on the back of my estimates. Does anyone have a disclaimer they use for stump grinding, root barriers, etc. in regards to digging. Yes, I ask my clients to contact 811 before digging. Thank you good kind sirs for the valiant knights you are.

This thread is somewhat old, and there used to be quite a bit of anti-social commentary that did not encourage participation. That being said, more recently, the moderation of the website has been discouraging that nonsense, and I think the welcome mat is a bit easier to find these days.

No, I have no disclaimers on my bid sheets. I believe that a disclaimer does nothing more than make the customer think you are unwilling or unable to protect them from the risks inherent with the job they hired you to do. I suppose someday I might get sued, but I rather expect that the disclaimer won't do a damn thing about getting a favorable outcome.

That is why I pay for insurance.

I sure is a cool site to se clean water coming out the ground running the rg45 rayco I had hit a irrigation water main. They aren't marked like gas water electric utilities. It was cool the Crew and I had a good laugh about it

No, I have no disclaimers on my bid sheets. I believe that a disclaimer does nothing more than make the customer think you are unwilling or unable to protect them from the risks inherent with the job they hired you to do. I suppose someday I might get sued, but I rather expect that the disclaimer won't do a damn thing about getting a favorable outcome.
That is why I pay for insurance.

I use disclaimers for underground services (all care taken-no liability accepted) because I like to protect my interests and I'm not equipped with ground penetrating radar etc. I can see your point about it not being a good look but most reasonable folk understand that operating the equipment near services puts the services at risk.

Our proposals have a disclaimer about unmarked underground utilities and irrigation lines. It's common to hit sprinkler lines when stump grinding. Fortunately they are almost always 1" poly here and we have barbs and some tubing to repair it. But most customers don't care (no longer use system) or say they will have their landscaper fix it.

"We are not responsible for marked or unmarked private utilities, sprinkler systems, septic fields, or putting back fence."

Now we don't go grinding all crazy but if there is a marked sprinkler or dog fence right by the stump and they still want the stump out and I hit it then it's there problem. Just as I don't just go driving across septic fields. if they want to wait 10 years to to cut down a dead tree I'm either plywooding in or flopping the tree take it or leave it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back