Every young man needs a saw, especially if it's a Christmas present

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clinchscavalry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've about decided to give all four of my sons identical saws and try to wrangle a good deal by purchasing volume. Only one of the sons currently owns a chainsaw, but the one I have in mind will compliment what he already has.

I'm not particularly stuck on one brand, but I wanted to get something that has good dealer support since none of them are willing or able to work on things themselves. My first thought was to get MS 290s for the sons, all with a 18 " bar. I found out that most everyone sells the saw for $369 but I did get one dealer to promise $25 off each one if I purchase the four together. That's a $100 discount.

The saws will be used for multi-purposes from firewood (light to moderate use), camping/hunting trips, yard work, and to carry around in the pickup in case of blocked roads, etc.

What say the experts on here ? Is the 290 a good choice, and what other saws/brands should I consider in this same price range ?

I've about decided to give all four of my sons identical saws and try to wrangle a good deal by purchasing volume. Only one of the sons currently owns a chainsaw, but the one I have in mind will compliment what he already has.

I'm not particularly stuck on one brand, but I wanted to get something that has good dealer support since none of them are willing or able to work on things themselves. My first thought was to get MS 290s for the sons, all with a 18 " bar. I found out that most everyone sells the saw for $369 but I did get one dealer to promise $25 off each one if I purchase the four together. That's a $100 discount.

The saws will be used for multi-purposes from firewood (light to moderate use), camping/hunting trips, yard work, and to carry around in the pickup in case of blocked roads, etc.

What say the experts on here ? Is the 290 a good choice, and what other saws/brands should I consider in this same price range ?

For light use I'd say you're going in a pretty good direction snaggin up 4 290's, there's people who talk a lot of #### about em but for light use you're not going to go wrong

Cant go wrong with a 290 :cheers:
Used it for limbing trees when logging for the longest time. First saw I started out with Age of 14.
But IMHO You cant go wrong with a ms261 either ;)

If I were one of your sons, I'd rather you got me a 346 XP. If that saw is out of your price range, I'd still rather have a used 346 XP than a new MS 290.

If you must buy new, and you insist on being cheap, then $369 isn't going to get you anything other than cheesey homeowner saws. I've got a homeowner Husqvarna, pretty similar to the MS 290, and it's rather light in the arse. If I only used it once or twice a year to clear storm damage then it would be fine, but it won't last with regular use. Much better to spend an extra couple hundred bucks for a saw that will last a lifetime and blow you away everytime you use it.

Now if your sons are derelicts who don't take care of their sh!t, then I'd say the MS 290 is too good for them. Buy 'em Wild Things and tell 'em they're lucky they got those instead of a good kick in the arse. Then tell those lazy bums to go fire up their Christmas presents and cut you some firewood!

If I were one of your sons, I'd rather you got me a 346 XP. If that saw is out of your price range, I'd still rather have a used 346 XP than a new MS 290.

If you must buy new, and you insist on being cheap, then $369 isn't going to get you anything other than cheesey homeowner saws. I've got a homeowner Husqvarna, pretty similar to the MS 290, and it's rather light in the arse. If I only used it once or twice a year to clear storm damage then it would be fine, but it won't last with regular use. Much better to spend an extra couple hundred bucks for a saw that will last a lifetime and blow you away everytime you use it.

Now if your sons are derelicts who don't take care of their sh!t, then I'd say the MS 290 is too good for them. Buy 'em Wild Things and tell 'em they're lucky they got those instead of a good kick in the arse. Then tell those lazy bums to go fire up their Christmas presents and cut you some firewood!

Whoa, hey what the hell?

If my dad snagged me a 290 for Christmas I'd be happy as anything, the guy was just looking for a little affirmation and then you come in here and talk #### about his saw choice (and a decent choice at that, his kids aren't loggers) and ask him if his kids are bums

Piss off

Whoa, hey what the hell?
If my dad snagged me a 290 for Christmas I'd be happy as anything, the guy was just looking for a little affirmation and then you come in here and talk #### about his saw choice (and a decent choice at that, his kids aren't loggers) and ask him if his kids are bums
Piss off
+1...!!!!

MS290's would be a good choice....

However I might consider the MS250 if I were you...

Lighter and easier to handle, you did say that only one of them had a saw now...

MS290 is a bit heavy and oversized for what it is...

plus they are $299 now and you will save yourself some coin....

Whoa, hey what the hell?

Piss off

I wasn't asking him if his kids are bums. Where's your sense of humor? I just figured it the way my own dad would have played it, and LMAO thinking about it.

As for the choice of saw, he asked for opinions and I gave him mine. If you think I'm wrong about the MS 290, then say so and say why. Otherwise, piss off.

I wasn't asking him if his kids are bums. Where's your sense of humor? I just figured it the way my own dad would have played it, and LMAO thinking about it.

As for the choice of saw, he asked for opinions and I gave him mine. If you think I'm wrong about the MS 290, then say so and say why. Otherwise, piss off.

Yeah Right:msp_rolleyes:

you really think he should hunt around for 4 used 346's that are in good shape? a used Christmas present sucks ass
the 290 is a damn good saw for what his kids need and if a dealer if offering a 100 clam discount for getting 4 of em then you'd have to be cracked out of your gourd to scour pawnshops and craigslist for 4 good used 346s

If you must buy new, and you insist on being cheap, then $369 isn't going to get you anything
That is really a blow below the belt..!!!
The OP is "being cheap" while spending $1600 on four sons..??
But he should rather spend another $500 so they could have 346xp's...
Read again...only one of the four even has a chainsaw..!!

You don't even rate deserving my usual :cheers: sign out...Just pitiful attitude IMHO

J2F

029/290 is definitely a "best in class" saw when it comes to doin' it, year in, year out, with little or no maintenance. It's no hotsaw, but it's no Wild Thang, either. It's a very good first new saw. There's a reason it's been on the market so long, and that reason is that it works.

The ms290 is a great present, it is also Stihls #1 selling saw so I am not sure why they suck so much, in fact outselling Husqvarnas awesome 346. I never needed a pro saw until I found this place and realized I wasn't a man until I had a pro saw. Kudos to you and being able to get your sons such a fine gift, something they will be able to pass down to their kids like my 032 was passed to me.

My dad has used his MS290 for quite a few years and it has served him quite well. He's cut up some pretty large stuff with the 20" bar buried all the way on many occasions and it always acts as if it wants more. If it wasn't for this site, I very possibly could have got one instead of my MS362. Not that I have regrets about that choice. Worth every penny more than the $400 for the 290. As long as you keep your sons off this site, they will be happy with the 290's, and rightfully so.

The 290 would be a great choice esp. with $100 off. I would definatelly consider dealer support in your area and it sounds like you have that covered. If you want to consider an alternative, also look at the Husqvarna 450. Light, easy to use and alot of performance in the same ball park for price at around $369. Last year was a 50th anniversary edition and if you can find a dealer with hold over stock, you get a soft case with the saw. Either way, sounds like a great Christmas present and your boys are blessed to have a good Dad.

Might want to get them early. don't know how many are in the "pipeline". But my local guy says when the 291 comes out it will be $100 more.

Don't you want to adopt me?!

I think that it would also be a fantastic present! I believe any major player in the 45-55cc league would be an all around usable saw. I would look around and check all the major players and compare prices.
Major Players in my book(/ means same Produkt different color): Dolmar/Makita, Echo, Efco/Emak/Oleo Mak, Hitachi/Tanaka, Husqvarna/Jonserd, Solo, Stihl.
I would also consider what size really is needed. Going to large can be annoying to the average user. I like the Dolmar 420 alot because the build quality is fantastic for a homeowner saw and it has a few goodies(like easy start) for the average user.

Don't forget to think about adopting me!

Latest posts

Back