Excessive Heat Milling with a husky 288xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My highly tuned is turnin 11,800 rpm on a tachometer and the max free engine speed from research i have done is around 12,500 rpm. I don't know if that number is accurate or not as to max rpm, however the saw was either hitting a limiter in the ignition or it was four stroking at 11,800 rpm. Unsure as to whether my 288 has a rev limiter or not? As to lean conditions I am confident that the saw is not running lean, however i cannot explain why the saw was hot it could just be the saw getting hot from milling idk, but i will post again with the results of the adjustment of the carburetor as to perceived temperature and performance Ive been busy the past couple nights and havent been able to fiddle with it. Thanks for the comments guys.

You might take a look at the spark plug.
Condition and color tell most everything about the saw under load.
Post a good pic of the plug if you can.
Looks of good info on AS about plugs.

I doubt you'd have a rev limiter in a 288, however you might have a carb with a governor circuit - in this case it would be very hard to lean out and over-rev the saw very much. All the advice about enriching the mixture a bit is good, but I'd still double-check the exhaust gasket. It doesn't take much of a hole for a lot of extremely hot exhaust gas to be able to escape in the wrong spot and start burning old oily buildup or even melt nearby plastic parts.

Yeah Brad, i will check and more than likely replace that exhaust gasket to see if it helps, plus like you said all I know is that my 288xp is the 1998 Lite version, and it has a tillottson carb. If that helps any i don't know but i appreciate the help with my issue.

Well boys the problem is solved i fattened the saw a tad and she is running cooler. I'm still getting the muffler i think from baileys but i may mod the old one never done it before should be fun lol. You guys were great giving me possible solutions to the problem i greatly appreciate the comments.:chainsawguy:

Back