Experience with both MS290 and MS291 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ez-start is basically what I wanted to warn against (just for the added weight) - but I didn't know that it also malfunctions.

I don't think the 271 is a good replacement for the 270, but believe the 291 is a very good replacement for the (bad excuse for a chainsaw) 290. Time will tell what the truth is....

That's not a malfunction, that's an operator flooding the saw.

That's not a malfunction, that's an operator flooding the saw.

That may be, but such starting "help" is known to contribute to just that. I guess it is mostly about self disipline though, too easy to pull to much "on choke"?

And no, I didn't say it was specific to Stihl...:msp_smile:

Anyway, my main reason to dislike it is all the added weight, like .6 lbs on some Stihl models like the 250 and 291.

Last edited:
The difference is that my posts aren't really bashing, as it is factual information!

It is just in the eyes of fanatic Stihl fans that it looks like bashing.;)

Then why is it your post about just about every Stihl thread when you have NO knowledge of the saw in question and only look at pictures of them and look at spec sheets

Have you ran a MS 250; MS 261; MS 290 or the 291; MS 461 or how about the Husky 550 that you talk about on here (just remember what you have posted in the past)

You talk about these saws like you have first hand knowledge about them but we know its all bs maybe your bother does but .....

260-261 / 270-280 / 190-291 same or similar chasis?!??

**title has a typo: it's 290-291**

What's goin' on guys? What did I miss?
Did STIHL ditch the clam-shell design on the 290 to make the 291??
Please - where the person who got a 291 disassembled - please come forward - I'm curious too.
All I know - they might have joined the newer 271 to the family of the updated series of 291 & 391 after I saw the 1st two share one instruction manual ( http://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/...als/MS271_291_291CBEQ_Manual.pdf#search="291" )

I didn't search enough about the 291 , that I admit.

But worth mentioning that until someone takes one of them apart (someone please?) - the older MS270 and 280 were and still are "farm owner's" saws built on professional aluminum crankcase platform..

So,
Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm all ears (eyes).

290 + 310 +390 are same exact platform.
Clam-Shell engine block in a sturdy plastic casing, shrouds etc'.. (025 / MS250 is their smaller 'sis', I have both).
My own proof is that I have just installed an MS390 P&C Nikasil set on an MS290. Runs like a beast. Heavy (formerly) sluggish 56cc is now about 64cc beast in virtually the same weight..

Vibration is a whole different story.

Getting a project MS240 for rebuild proved me that this family (024 through MS260; 42cc to 50cc) sport a fantastically smooth AV system and needless to say more about the build - aluminum/alloy case that I'm a fan of. More robust IMO, plus I'd rather replace a P&C for those :)

So - although it's still the old rubber AV mounts - they seem to work better than those on the 025 / 250 / 290 etc'..

Last family of saws to mention, though I never owned (but used) one - are the 270/280 (can't say about the 271 since what I mentioned at the beginning) .. - they were the 1st (as far as I know) family of mid-sized STIHL chainsaws to sport the smooth heavier-duty steel springs for the main AV mounts. Again - correct me please , if I'm wrong (and I know the little 192T has springs too, they're far from this discussion.. lol). So far I have only read good reviews of their AV system.

Ever since - you could notice/see STIHL incorporating spring AV mounts to more and more chainsaws.. the 441 , the 271 through 391 , and even the 461 (I think..) - maybe it's for a good reason.

Hope it's needless to say that Husqvarna / Jonsered have been using springs way back.. maybe that has something to do with STIHL's delay on that.. :p

Bottom line:
If you want a chainsaw for farm use that's around 50cc, not too heavy , runs VERY smooth, but still built on a professional platform - a used 270/280 might be a nice affordable deal. I'd get one for a good price, I just haven't come across one, so I mess around with the 240.. lol :D Note that a good used 260 is also a fantastic deal. When I finish the 240 - I'm gonna find me a 260 :) very popular - plenty of parts out there for this family!

Is you have more money, and you have a way higher reserve for this next purchase -- well -- then it's quite a different story.. get yourself what has been proven to serve tasks/usage such as yours - and that has good AV system :) Just my opinion..

Jo.

Last edited:
I've used the ms 290, ms 261, ms 260, ms 360, 044, ect. The good thing about these Stihl saws is that they will cut. the ms 290 farm boss home owner saw cuts great for a couple cuts. Feels solid and has a fast wisp of a sound as it cuts quick. Good for someone that needs to just cut a couple peaces every now and then. ms 290; however, doesn't seem to hold up to the relentless use as compared to the 261 pro saw with that additional cost, and 5 cc's smaller of an engine will run better at a constant use.
I also have had my hands on the 360 and taken trial cuts to compare to my cs 530. The cs 530 is not a 'Stihl', but if it where the only Echo in my arsenal I'd reach for that 044 in the demand of a harder cutting saw before i'd grab that 261 or 360.

Last edited:
Then why is it your post about just about every Stihl thread when you have NO knowledge of the saw in question and only look at pictures of them and look at spec sheets

Have you ran a MS 250; MS 261; MS 290 or the 291; MS 461 or how about the Husky 550 that you talk about on here (just remember what you have posted in the past)

You talk about these saws like you have first hand knowledge about them but we know its all bs maybe your bother does but .....

Man and yet another thread screwed up by your bashing and crying. You got a problem with Troll? Go pay him a visit face to face.
He's not making claims of using this saw or that saw. He's quoting specs, which he's very good with. He's giving his opinion.
Grow up ................Sheeeesh.

I have ran my 290 straight up against a 261 and the 261 will cut a 16 inch hardwood about a 1/2 second faster than my 290 but with a MM mod on the 290 I think it will cut faster than the 261. I'm not concerned with weight as I don't use it all day every day. And I've got an extra $170 in my pocket to buy chains, oil, fuel, beer, etc. If I made a living with the saw I might feel different but for now 290 it is.

The ultimate response to this thread likely is that it is totally indifferent how those saws compare, as no sane person should buy any of them anyway! :yoyo::yoyo:

But the question is -

Basically - but the 291 surely looks like an improvement, if you can find one without the different gadgets that they like to put on them. ;)

-- is it still clamshell ?

or did they change that too?

I'd bet it is still a clamshell.. but then again - they joined the 271 with this series, while it's predecessor, the 270, had an aluminum case platform..

Odd, if you ask me.

Jo.

Last edited:
If taken care of they are an OK home owner saw. For the power they're heavy. If you're set on buying a Stihl save up a little extra and buy a MS 261. I'm a Husqvarna fan myself the 455 Rancher has proven itself as a quality saw look into it. But if you decide to go the 261 route do yourself a favor and run other comparative saws such as but not limited to Husqvarna 346/550, Dolmar 5100,5105 Jonsered 2152,2255, 2153,2151 there are tons of options . Do some searching ask a dealer if you could test one. If you buy a saw buy it from a dealer. If you've got any questions I'll be more than happy to help.50cc saws are what I'm into most so I've run plenty and own a few.
could you explain to us what the difference is in the 455 and the 290? they are direct competition for each other. they husky is a few ounces lighter, but the stihl makes more power. power to weight ratio is higher on the stihl. all homeowner saws are heavy for the power they make.

could you explain to us what the difference is in the 455 and the 290? they are direct competition for each other. they husky is a few ounces lighter, but the stihl makes more power. power to weight ratio is higher on the stihl. all homeowner saws are heavy for the power they make.

The 455 Rancher is a modular engined Strato Charged 55cc saw, the MS290 is a modular engined conventional
2 stroke 55cc saw. The 455's come with 3/8 bar and chains usually 20", and the Stihl usually comes with
.325 bar and chain.

I have a run time on both saws, and while the 455 has spring a/v mounts it doesn't feel
any smoother than the 290. Both saws are powerful budget model saws.

I have dozens of guys cutting way more firewood than they were designed for, with relatively little issue.

The failures I see on "clamshell" engines are the same failures I see on "pro" saws. Almost no saws fail due to
the "clamshell" design. 90% of all the failures I see in saws are from abuse, ethanol, lack of maintenance, the other
9% is "act of god" stuff" like trees falling on them, the last 1% is stuff that is warranty able defects.

just to clarify..

The 455 Rancher is a modular engined Strato Charged 55cc saw, the MS290 is a modular engined conventional
2 stroke 55cc saw. The 455's come with 3/8 bar and chains usually 20", and the Stihl usually comes with
.325 bar and chain.

I have a run time on both saws, and while the 455 has spring a/v mounts it doesn't feel
any smoother than the 290. Both saws are powerful budget model saws.

I have dozens of guys cutting way more firewood than they were designed for, with relatively little issue.

The failures I see on "clamshell" engines are the same failures I see on "pro" saws. Almost no saws fail due to
the "clamshell" design. 90% of all the failures I see in saws are from abuse, ethanol, lack of maintenance, the other
9% is "act of god" stuff" like trees falling on them, the last 1% is stuff that is warranty able defects.

Where did you see a "failed" claim for ClamShell design?

For me it's just a preference. I'd rather mess with the other platform because I like both the high-end AV systems, and easier C&P swap.. I'd never say no for a really good price on a 290 to mod, and then give it a 390 heart :)

Jo.

Have any of the Arboristsite members run a 291? I have seen the saw at shops, but have never talked to anyone that has run one.

I have a 271 that has performed well for me, similar to a 291 but with a little less power. price diff. between them is $40. For another $80 you can get a 261, in my area.

for that price differential..

I have a 271 that has performed well for me, similar to a 291 but with a little less power. price diff. between them is $40. For another $80 you can get a 261, in my area.

..just 80$ more?? - I'd go for a 261.

Say, do both 271 and 291 have the same chassis ?!?!

Confusing..

In their previous generation - they were two different 'families' , and now they seem to belong to the same one..

..just 80$ more?? - I'd go for a 261.

Say, do both 271 and 291 have the same chassis ?!?!

Confusing..

In their previous generation - they were two different 'families' , and now they seem to belong to the same one..

that's why I chose the 271 and saved more $$$. the money saved will go to chains, bars, chaps. never figured out why the 271 is 12.3 # and the 291 is 12.1#.

Latest posts

Back