Experience with both MS290 and MS291 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last family of saws to mention, though I never owned (but used) one - are the 270/280 (can't say about the 271 since what I mentioned at the beginning) .. - they were the 1st (as far as I know) family of mid-sized STIHL chainsaws to sport the smooth heavier-duty steel springs for the main AV mounts. Again - correct me please , if I'm wrong (and I know the little 192T has springs too, they're far from this discussion.. lol). So far I have only read good reviews of their AV system.

Every time this comes up the MS361 seems to get left out. It is the first mid size Stihl saw to my knowledge, to sport the spring av system in the Stihl saw lineup.

Just built an 025 into a 250 and this thing is a 260 killer. Now I need to figure out why and how to repeat it over and over :). Then try building a 260 that will kill the 025/250 toy.

Isnt the 280 closer in specs to the 291

I stopped at a Stihl dealer a few weeks ago and he compared the 291 to the older 280. Not saying that he is an expert but he was convinced.
I own a 280 and although it is to heavy it is a good saw, I use it mostly on a sawbuck.
The wieght becomes a big difference if I am trying to limb with it!
I think that most go to much by comparative specs instead of saw feel, if you are going to buy a new saw you will only know what you have until you've cut several cord of wood with it

as far as I can remember..

Last family of saws to mention, though I never owned (but used) one - are the 270/280 (can't say about the 271 since what I mentioned at the beginning) .. - they were the 1st (as far as I know) family of mid-sized STIHL chainsaws to sport the smooth heavier-duty steel springs for the main AV mounts. Again - correct me please , if I'm wrong (and I know the little 192T has springs too, they're far from this discussion.. lol). So far I have only read good reviews of their AV system.

Every time this comes up the MS361 seems to get left out. It is the first mid size Stihl saw to my knowledge, to sport the spring av system in the Stihl saw lineup.

Just built an 025 into a 250 and this thing is a 260 killer. Now I need to figure out why and how to repeat it over and over :). Then try building a 260 that will kill the 025/250 toy.

..I think the 361 came out after 270. Correct me if I'm wrong. And also - show me a 361 that resembles the price of a 270 or a 280.. we're just talking of a chainsaw around the 50cc to do the job relatively easy..

I am sadly selling my MM 025 that kills a lot of other saws, for some reason, after a very slight MM and carb tune - this puppy started screaming somewhere around 14k and more (I compared the pitch to the 200T). Even fit it with EASY2START for a year just for fun. Now I keep it for the next 250..

Since I have 2 chainsaws coming my way - I must sell it. Or else - would've kept it.

The 025 that I have (don't know about yours..) - since not being as smooth as others I have and that I'm about to have - just makes it a tad bit easier to let it go..

Jo.

The 250 is a strong saw with a few mod's

I have alot of time with a modded 290 and only started a 291 and cut some "cookies" have to wait until I get demo 291 to really know about it

I have ran my 290 straight up against a 261 and the 261 will cut a 16 inch hardwood about a 1/2 second faster than my 290 but with a MM mod on the 290 I think it will cut faster than the 261. I'm not concerned with weight as I don't use it all day every day. And I've got an extra $170 in my pocket to buy chains, oil, fuel, beer, etc. If I made a living with the saw I might feel different but for now 290 it is.

So to follow up I performed the muffler mod over the weekend and tuned the carb. Left it a tad rich, plug is a dark tan. It will out cut a stock 261. We set them up with same bar and same chain and the 290 was 3 to 4 seconds faster in the cut. 261 still has a lot to be had but for now the 290 is king in our woods..lol :givebeer:

I had a 270 a few months back and ran a 310 a buddy of mine has.I really liked the 270 better.I had Muffler modded mine.He asked me to muffler mod his.lol didn't help his 310 as much as it helped the 270.I finally just sold him the 270 to fund a Mcculloch pm700.I wasn't worried about the extra weight.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I had a 270 a few months back and ran a 310 a buddy of mine has.I really liked the 270 better.I had Muffler modded mine.He asked me to muffler mod his.lol didn't help his 310 as much as it helped the 270.I finally just sold him the 270 to fund a Mcculloch pm700.I wasn't worried about the extra weight.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Did you remove the baffle inside the 310 muffler ?

DSC_9957.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

Latest posts

Back