Extreme Stihl Dealer Dissapointment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
teacherman

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
You're wrong. I never assumed the mark up was huge and you can't point to anything I've said that indicates that. All I've basically said is I don't like paying DSRP and I've caught a bunch of crap for it. The reality is, most Stihl owners that I've talked to didn't pay DSRP either. <cut>

This is not Mexico, and you are not buying a pineapple from a toothless hag in an open market in Oaxaca. Do you have any idea how dang hard it is to keep the doors of a business open, how expensive it is?

Some people with the "smart shopper" mentality are little more than spoiled whiny brats. I have NEVER called anyone a name in three years on this forum, but in your case, I will make an exception. Spoiled whiny brats like you expect dealers to lick yer butt to make a sale. That is why businesses are dropping off the map. I'd like to see you make a new air filter for that nice 460 out of an old pair of panty hose. After the dealers go down, maybe you can mill a piston out of an aluminum can, after 500 hours of reliable cutting on that beast. I am happy to pay MSRP on a Stihl product. Our local (former) dealer marked Stihl up 20% from MSRP, and once I figured that out, I went to a dealer in the town where I work. Big deal.

Later edit: Sorry about the name-calling. Sometimes I just shouldn't post...... I think that dealers need to be able to make a profit on what they sell, because it takes a lot of dough to pay overhead and staff, and I am amazed that as many manage to stay open as they do, if that makes sense. Part of the prob is all the taxes and fees, and then there are the large number of mail-order saws sold, which is likely why Stihl does not allow that. Glad you got the saw, hope it serves you a long time.

Last edited:
banshee67

banshee67

Poulan Wild Thang
for those that negative repped me, id think twice next time if i were you, i wont ssay which ones me in the picture, but we dont play around
chainsaws01_org.jpg

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
If dealers are only making $65 on a saw they better get into another biz..
that means selling over 1500 saws a year wont even pay the bills !!
somethings wrong with this picture..
if i cant get a deal i'm happy with,i go someplace else..theres always one dealer wanting to make some money..
better a dollar made than a dollar lost..
AND a returning customer :)

I agree. $65? Not a hope. No dealer worth a grain of salt is going to honestly divulge what a saw costs them.
I can't speak for US dealers but as per my previous post why will Stihl dealer A tell you they hardly make a cent on a saw sold at X price when Stihl Dealer B will sell you the same saw for $200 less with no haggling or anything?

stihl bashing, or the continued bashing of any product is pathetic, if you dont like it, dont buy it , its very simple, but on a forum where 3/4 of the members cant even figure out how to post a picture, that type of stupidity is expected i guess.
"creamsickle blinded yuppies paying too much for an inferior product" so now anyone who runs a stihl is just a lemming? what about all the men and woman who swear by them to put food on their table? just yuppie lemmings who pay to much so they can brag they own a stihl on the internet, right?
i made a post about my opinion on this whole "against whatever is popular" way of thinking before..
this has less to do with people disliking stihl, than it does with them wanting to be cool for not liking or buying the number 1 chainsaw brand in the world.
its the same thing with music, pop culture, religion, etc, there is always that group of people who think they are cooler, or more hip, or more "in the know" than everyone else because they go against the grain and against whats popular or what other people are doing, regardless of weather or not their stance has any validity or is in any way good for them in the big picture is insignificant to these type opf people, all that matters is that they didnt "conform". there will always be that group of guys who think its cool , to do the opposite of what other people are doing. perfect example is all these hipster retards and their horrible goth/emo music, its clearly absolute trash with no talent or music quality, but to them, its the coolest thing ever, because they are counter culture, and they like somrthing other people hate. in their eyes they are now cool. deep down inside they know they dont wana listen to that crap, but id they go buy a cd thats actually sold more than 127 copies, they are no longer cool in their friends eyes. they are now sell out, conformists geeks, like trhe rest of us! and thats their business.
just like many atheists are far more obsessed with religion than some religious people ever could be, many stihl bashers and stihl haters are far more into the brand loyalty than the stihl owners they are blindly lashing out against.
you have guys who have no problems dropping huge bucks on dolmars and echos and makitas, yet a comparable model stihl that costs $50 more, is a overpriced, over hyped POS! that train of thought is fascinating to me. the constant need to reassure yourself you are going against the norm, and not conforming to what is popular and what other people are doing is a disease. keep it up and youll find yourself driving a Saab, running makita saws and eating the off brand cereal that cost 30 cents less that you brainwashed yourself into believing tastes the same as the name brand.

Although I think you may have got a tad excited I can only interpret your post as saying that people who don't purchase Stihl saws are non conformists who buy Husky, Dolmar etc just to stick it to the man?
If that's the case then maybe some prescription meds should be seriously considered?

This is not Mexico, and you are not buying a pineapple from a toothless hag in an open market in Oaxaca. Do you have any idea how dang hard it is to keep the doors of a business open, how expensive it is?

Some people with the "smart shopper" mentality are little more than spoiled whiny brats. I have NEVER called anyone a name in three years on this forum, but in your case, I will make an exception. Spoiled whiny brats like you expect dealers to lick yer butt to make a sale. That is why businesses are dropping off the map. I'd like to see you make a new air filter for that nice 460 out of an old pair of panty hose. After the dealers go down, maybe you can mill a piston out of an aluminum can, after 500 hours of reliable cutting on that beast. I am happy to pay MSRP on a Stihl product. Our local (former) dealer marked Stihl up 20% from MSRP, and once I figured that out, I went to a dealer in the town where I work. Big deal.

Not sure if I should reply to this but here goes and I do have a good history in retail and am currently in charge of about $20,000,000 worth of Agricultural quotes annually against some very savvy and active competitors in my region.

If a Stihl dealer or any business drops off the map then the last person they can blame is the dollar savvy customer. ALL Stihl (and Husky) dealers I know sit on their arse waiting for customers to come to them. I have NEVER seen a dealer leave the shop to actively pursue new customers or create a working relationship with a chainsaw user or for example, pruning contractor/tree crew that aren't currently a customer. I have never seen a dealer send out letters to possible new customers in the business of actually using chainsaws. But by hell do they whine like a little bit*h when they start going under. It's everbody else's fault but their own.

In the Agricutural business I work in we are constantly pursuing and gaining new business, quite often at the same rate we are losing business to our very smart and business savvy opposition(s). If we don't show a bit of love to a customer then we have nobody to blame but ourselves when a more active/cheaper opposition party takes them out from under our nose. We lost about $5,000,000 of business in the last year simply because of one guy we employed who never got off his arse to appropriately service some pretty large agricultural clients of ours.

The worst thing a business can do is take customers for granted and assume the customer owes them a living (likewise for customers thinking a dealer owes them something).
Now that is all good when you are the only option. When you are NOT the only option yet have an attitude like that you will go broke. Gone are the days when customers will actually pay significantly more just because the guy behind the counter has a nice smile and a strong handshake.
A few bucks, sure, but not $200-300.
Like you I hate customers that haggle. Our area is full of Greeks, Italians, and Indians. Now it is in their culture to haggle and it is quite painful at times. However if we take the attitude that here's the cost and that's it guess what? We lose that sale, word slowly but surely gets around the community, and all of a sudden you ask yourself "Where did that guy go? I haven't seen him for a while". Even worse if you give Fred a good deal and Jim finds out he didn't get one!
If Stihl Dealer A wants to stick to (for example) AUD$1550 MSRP for a 200T yet Stihl Dealer B will sell me one for AUD$1380 then am I the prick for going to Dealer B? I'm also not silly enough to then expect Dealer A to service my Dealer B bought saw. However I would also then expect Dealer A to whine like a blown car diff when he finds out I didn't want to spend an extra $170 just for the privelage of walking through his front door (it's happened to me).

One thing I have learnt in the business I work in (Agriculture with chainsaws after hours) is that to assume you are doing a better job than your opposition, and can charge more because of it, is generally underestimating your competition and taking advantage of your customer. It doesn't matter what I think or what any chainsaw dealer thinks, it's what the customer's perception is.

Once again I can't talk for the US, but I also believe that the Stihl Shop mentality is allowing too many dealers to open up in too closer proximity of each other. My area is smallish and at one stage we had 3 Stihl dealers within 30 minutes of one another in a population of around 30,000. Out of this 30,000 only a very small % are chainsaw (or outdoor power product) users. One Stihl dealer has already gone broke and I know things are very tight with the other two. One guy is as tight as a fishes' arse and his pricing reflects that (he's also the one more likely to go nroke first). The other dealer has excellent off the bat pricing and has secured any limited saw service work that I might need done. You don't need to haggle with him to get a good deal.
for those that negative repped me, id think twice next time if i were you, i wont ssay which ones me in the picture, but we dont play around
chainsaws01_org.jpg

Are you the little white pastey one crouching in the middle? :)

MCW

If dealers are only making $65 on a saw they better get into another biz..
that means selling over 1500 saws a year wont even pay the bills !!
somethings wrong with this picture..
if i cant get a deal i'm happy with,i go someplace else..theres always one dealer wanting to make some money..
better a dollar made than a dollar lost..
AND a returning customer :)

I agree. $65? Not a hope. No dealer worth a grain of salt is going to honestly divulge what a saw costs them.
I can't speak for US dealers but as per my previous post why will Stihl dealer A tell you they hardly make a cent on a saw sold at X price when Stihl Dealer B will sell you the same saw for $200 less with no haggling or anything?

stihl bashing, or the continued bashing of any product is pathetic, if you dont like it, dont buy it , its very simple, but on a forum where 3/4 of the members cant even figure out how to post a picture, that type of stupidity is expected i guess.
"creamsickle blinded yuppies paying too much for an inferior product" so now anyone who runs a stihl is just a lemming? what about all the men and woman who swear by them to put food on their table? just yuppie lemmings who pay to much so they can brag they own a stihl on the internet, right?
i made a post about my opinion on this whole "against whatever is popular" way of thinking before..
this has less to do with people disliking stihl, than it does with them wanting to be cool for not liking or buying the number 1 chainsaw brand in the world.
its the same thing with music, pop culture, religion, etc, there is always that group of people who think they are cooler, or more hip, or more "in the know" than everyone else because they go against the grain and against whats popular or what other people are doing, regardless of weather or not their stance has any validity or is in any way good for them in the big picture is insignificant to these type opf people, all that matters is that they didnt "conform". there will always be that group of guys who think its cool , to do the opposite of what other people are doing. perfect example is all these hipster retards and their horrible goth/emo music, its clearly absolute trash with no talent or music quality, but to them, its the coolest thing ever, because they are counter culture, and they like somrthing other people hate. in their eyes they are now cool. deep down inside they know they dont wana listen to that crap, but id they go buy a cd thats actually sold more than 127 copies, they are no longer cool in their friends eyes. they are now sell out, conformists geeks, like trhe rest of us! and thats their business.
just like many atheists are far more obsessed with religion than some religious people ever could be, many stihl bashers and stihl haters are far more into the brand loyalty than the stihl owners they are blindly lashing out against.
you have guys who have no problems dropping huge bucks on dolmars and echos and makitas, yet a comparable model stihl that costs $50 more, is a overpriced, over hyped POS! that train of thought is fascinating to me. the constant need to reassure yourself you are going against the norm, and not conforming to what is popular and what other people are doing is a disease. keep it up and youll find yourself driving a Saab, running makita saws and eating the off brand cereal that cost 30 cents less that you brainwashed yourself into believing tastes the same as the name brand.

Although I think you may have got a tad excited I can only interpret your post as saying that people who don't purchase Stihl saws are non conformists who buy Husky, Dolmar etc just to stick it to the man?
If that's the case then maybe some prescription meds should be seriously considered?

Not sure if I should reply to this but here goes and I do have a good history in retail and am currently in charge of about $20,000,000 worth of Agricultural quotes annually against some very savvy and active competitors in my region.

If a Stihl dealer or any business drops off the map then the last person they can blame is the dollar savvy customer. ALL Stihl (and Husky) dealers I know sit on their arse waiting for customers to come to them. I have NEVER seen a dealer leave the shop to actively pursue new customers or create a working relationship with a chainsaw user or for example, pruning contractor/tree crew that aren't currently a customer. I have never seen a dealer send out letters to possible new customers in the business of actually using chainsaws. But by hell do they whine like a little bit*h when they start going under. It's everbody else's fault but their own.

In the Agricutural business I work in we are constantly pursuing and gaining new business, quite often at the same rate we are losing business to our very smart and business savvy opposition(s). If we don't show a bit of love to a customer then we have nobody to blame but ourselves when a more active/cheaper opposition party takes them out from under our nose. We lost about $5,000,000 of business in the last year simply because of one guy we employed who never got off his arse to appropriately service some pretty large agricultural clients of ours.

The worst thing a business can do is take customers for granted and assume the customer owes them a living (likewise for customers thinking a dealer owes them something).
Now that is all good when you are the only option. When you are NOT the only option yet have an attitude like that you will go broke. Gone are the days when customers will actually pay significantly more just because the guy behind the counter has a nice smile and a strong handshake.
Like you I hate customers that haggle. Our area is full of Greeks, Italians, and Indians. Now it is in their culture to haggle and it is quite painful at times. However if we take the attitude that here's the cost and that's it guess what? We lose that sale, word slowly but surely gets around the community, and all of a sudden you ask yourself "Where did that guy go? I haven't seen him for a while". Even worse if you give Fred a good deal and Jim finds out he didn't get one!
If Stihl Dealer A wants to stick to (for example) AUD$1550 MSRP for a 200T yet Stihl Dealer B will sell me one for AUD$1380 then am I the prick for going to Dealer B? I'm also not silly enough to then expect Dealer A to service my Dealer B bought saw. However I would also then expect Dealer A to whine like a blown car diff when he finds out I didn't want to spend an extra $170 just for the privelage of walking through his front door (it's happened to me).

One thing I have learnt in the business I work in (Agriculture with chainsaws after hours) is that to assume you are doing a better job than your opposition, and can charge more because of it, is generally underestimating your competition and taking advantage of your customer. It doesn't matter what I think or what any chainsaw dealer thinks, it's what the customer's perception is.

Once again I can't talk for the US, but I also believe that the Stihl Shop mentality is allowing too many dealers to open up in too closer proximity of each other. My area is smallish and at one stage we had 3 Stihl dealers within 30 minutes of one another in a population of around 30,000. Out of this 30,000 only a very small % are chainsaw (or outdoor power product) users. One Stihl dealer has already gone broke and I know things are very tight with the other two. One guy is as tight as a fishes' arse and his pricing reflects that (he's also the one more likely to go broke first). The other dealer has excellent off the bat pricing and has secured any limited saw service work that I might need done. You don't need to haggle with him to get a good deal. He is also the one who is maintaining a lot of work saws for local tree crews, despite being 30 minutes further away than the other Stihl dealer.

chainsaws01_org.jpg

Are you the little white pastey one crouching in the middle? :)

Last edited:
indiansprings

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
Zich is one short sighted fellow. I've been buying saws off the same dealer for over 32-33 years, bought and traded alot with him. I've pretty much paid what he asked,
when I bought my 460 Friday afternoon he showed me his cost and we decided on a fair deal based off that, he did the same thing on my 361. He knows I'm loyal as hell to his dealership and have steered several others there. It's called building a relationship after several years, not a one time wham bam thank you ma'am type deal, where I tried bending him over to rape him on one deal never to darken the door again. Now I get 15% off parts, get a great deal on chains. If I have a saw go down that I can't fix, it's fixed while I wait, moved to the bench asap, no come back in a week stuff. I know he has to make a living and I've paid msrp on a few saws at his shop, but feel like I have been more than rewarded by how we get treated now.
My sons are now developing the same relationship with him, when he needs a log brought in for test cuts, customer trails, they haul one over to him and haul the chunks that have been sawed off. Hell the other day he charged them only 13.50 for a 25" loop of RSC, not the average deal. I'd rather pay a little extra, get to know the dealer, hell, we're good buddies after 30 years of haggling, bantering back and forth. You need to think long term when buying.

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
Had to take a peek before calling it a night. Found this:

"If a Stihl dealer or any business drops off the map then the last person they can blame is the dollar savvy customer. ALL Stihl (and Husky) dealers I know sit on their arse waiting for customers to come to them. I have NEVER seen a dealer leave the shop to actively pursue new customers or create a working relationship with a chainsaw user or for example, pruning contractor/tree crew that aren't currently a customer. I have never seen a dealer send out letters to possible new customers in the business of actually using chainsaws. But by hell do they whine like a little bit*h when they start going under. It's everbody else's fault but their own."

MC are ya telling me I gotta come do some work with ya before you will decide to buy from me, man you really drive a tuff bargin, LOLOL

Fact is MC Stihl has feild reps running all over the dayumm place having meetings and get togethers with arborists, fire companies, tree outfits, landscape outfits and just about with any outfit that uses outdoor power equipment. Hell our field rep was over at Dullus airport demo'ing cut off saws for some big metal cutting job they had not long ago. He was at the local Vol-tec center here in town and got me a ton of business awhile back. He also demo's for the local government and state people. He even works with the school boards and fed government. Now these feild reps send these people to the nearest dealer that sells the product so no we dealers don't have to go out and work with these people, we got some people doing it for us. These type of sales go way into the $1000's, not someone wanting just one unit. Now I admits they aren't packing a suit case and going door to door in town to every homeowner that might want a $149.00 trimmer, thats what the $50,000,000 a year in advertising Stihl spends is for. So in all your right, you've never seen a dealer go out and look for business, ya never will either, he has people doing it for him. I will say it will be a icy day in hell when I go to work pruning a tree with a man to get him to buy a pruner, a nice looking young lady now, I'll load the pruner, you got the address, be right there,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

crane

crane

Addicted to ArboristSite
Been wary to wade in................but what the heck:hmm3grin2orange:

I work for a small Stihl dealer. It is a secondary line to us, as we sell large seeding Equipment , grain bins and augers. We took on stihl to support the local population. The next closest dealer would be 45miles. As a small dealer I don't get the price break that the big dealers do. It's just a simple fact. I don't order enough stock as say a big dealer in a major centre. That said, I work on customer service not price. We sell most of our stock at MSRP, let me tell you, the mark up ain't much. BUT, by paying sticker you get a shop that will look after you. I've dropped saw/trimmers off on my way home to customers that really needed them. I'll take the extra few minutes to explain to the customer all the maintenance tips I know to save him/her $$$ in the long run. I'd rather the customer be satisfied with his purchase than see them in buying parts all the time. As for the customers that come in and tell me another shop is cheaper buy $50. I say, better run quick and grab it. They never take into account their time and fuel to get all the way out to that "other" dealer. And guess what, when something goes wrong, I get it, cause it was too far to go back to the original dealer. That's when coming up to the counter is real sweet:cheers:
You always get what you pay for lol

Last edited:
THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
You're wrong. I never assumed the mark up was huge and you can't point to anything I've said that indicates that. All I've basically said is I don't like paying DSRP and I've caught a bunch of crap for it. The reality is, most Stihl owners that I've talked to didn't pay DSRP either. I've asked several times and no one wants to give me an answer.

I've also been told by people that you deal with that you don't insist on DSRP either, so I'm not sure what we're arguing about. I paid you a complement in post 79. I've learned that it makes sense to read all posts before I reply.

"Like Blitz, I know the profit margin on Stihl saws is nothing short of huge. There is plenty of room for a dealer to negotiate. That said, you have a right to charge anything you want for your products. I have the right and will find the best deal."

You wrote that Zich and yes it was very easy to point to, dayummm I'm too good, that paste and copy thing will come back to nip at ya heals,LOL

No fear though, next time your in town you come on by and I'll buy ya pepsi and we can talk saws, deals and so forth. You don't have to spend a penny to have a good time at the ole shop, there's a few on here will tell ya that. Who know's I may have something on special ya might want. A 460 is a awful lot of saw for thinning, just a thought,hehe

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
Been wary to wade in................but what the heck:hmm3grin2orange:

I work for a small Stihl dealer. It is a secondary line to us, as we sell large seeding Equipment , grain bins and augers. We took on stihl to support the local population. The next closest dealer would be 45miles. As a small dealer I don't get the price break that the big dealers do. It's just a simple fact. I don't order enough stock as say a big dealer in a major centre. That said, I work on customer service not price. We sell most of our stock at MSRP, let me tell you, the mark up ain't much. BUT, by paying sticker you get a shop that will look after you. I've dropped saw/trimmers off on my way home to customers that really needed them. I'll take the extra few minutes to explain to the customer all the maintenance tips I know to save him/her $$$ in the long run. I'd rather the customer be satisfied with his purchase than see them in buying parts all the time. As for the customers that come in and tell me another shop is cheaper buy $50. I say, better run quick and grab it. They never take into account their time and fuel to get all the way out to that "other" dealer. And guess what, when something goes wrong, I get it, cause it was too far to go back to the original dealer. That's when coming up to the counter is real sweet:cheers:
You always get what you pay for lol

Good post. I had a guy call me before Christmas telling me his son has two blowers down. I go really. He goes yeah, is Stihl having problems with them. I said not that I know of. He goes well the guys where he bought them from can't seem to getem fixed. I go really, where'd he buy em. He goes over at so and so, they were cheaper than you. I go really, well guess what, I hope they are blown up and can't be fixed. He goes whatttttttt. I go you heard me, if he had bought them from me I might give a dayummm but oh no, he had to save a few pennies,haha He laffs and goes okokokokokok, enuff. Guess I'll be fixing those dayumm things but the crow he has to eat while I'm doing it will be priceless. He and me will have some fun jawing back and forth and then I'll hand him the bill and say well lookie there, those pennies you saved, I just gotem,LOLOLOLOL

crane

crane

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good post. I had a guy call me before Christmas telling me his son has two blowers down. I go really. He goes yeah, is Stihl having problems with them. I said not that I know of. He goes well the guys where he bought them from can't seem to getem fixed. I go really, where'd he buy em. He goes over at so and so, they were cheaper than you. I go really, well guess what, I hope they are blown up and can't be fixed. He goes whatttttttt. I go you heard me, if he had bought them from me I might give a dayummm but oh no, he had to save a few pennies,haha He laffs and goes okokokokokok, enuff. Guess I'll be fixing those dayumm things but the crow he has to eat while I'm doing it will be priceless. He and me will have some fun jawing back and forth and then I'll hand him the bill and say well lookie there, those pennies you saved, I just gotem,LOLOLOLOL

aaahhhhh....stories from the other side, and it ain't as dark as people think

:cheers::cheers:

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
...no more anoying than dealers demanding DSRP.

Do you pay list price for your cars, or do you haggle? If you haggle for your cars, like nearly everyone in the US, why are saws different? On average, they have the same marketing strategy, dealer negotiation latitude, and although I don't know for certain, based on car dealer invoice prices widely available on the web, saws appear to have even more profit margin if sold at DSRP, which again is what my local dealers are demanding.

As to your second point, dealers have no right to eat better than their customers.

Look, I think I speak for more than myself when I say that customers want the dealers to make a reasonable profit. However, I don't think customers want dealers to make a killing on them. To me, that would be paying DSRP.

It would be great if Tommy, or another dealer would publish what the dealer cost is on saws, but I'm not holding my breath. I suspect that it's large enough such that a 10% discount still results in a substantial profit to the dealer.[/QUOTE]

Now Zich your a believer in capitalism, correct? Now you know in capitalism the cost is always kept quiet and there is a reason. Business's cannot let the customer set the price because in a capitalist society every business would go under in a heartbeat if they let the buyer set the price based on telling them their cost. The seller knows what he needs to pay his bills, the buyer does not, simple as that.

Before going to bed though here's a few for ya. Super Glue is marked up 700%. Software by major software markers is marked up 100% or more. Try working a deal with them cats, good luck. Furniture goes at around 150%. How do I know, I know the guy that runs the store here in town, he told me and yes he laffs about his 30% and 50% off sales. See saw dealers aren't so bad after all.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

atvguns

atvguns

Addicted to ArboristSite
Zich is one short sighted fellow. I've been buying saws off the same dealer for over 32-33 years, bought and traded alot with him. I've pretty much paid what he asked,
when I bought my 460 Friday afternoon he showed me his cost and we decided on a fair deal based off that, he did the same thing on my 361. He knows I'm loyal as hell to his dealership and have steered several others there. It's called building a relationship after several years, not a one time wham bam thank you ma'am type deal, where I tried bending him over to rape him on one deal never to darken the door again. Now I get 15% off parts, get a great deal on chains. If I have a saw go down that I can't fix, it's fixed while I wait, moved to the bench asap, no come back in a week stuff. I know he has to make a living and I've paid msrp on a few saws at his shop, but feel like I have been more than rewarded by how we get treated now.
My sons are now developing the same relationship with him, when he needs a log brought in for test cuts, customer trails, they haul one over to him and haul the chunks that have been sawed off. Hell the other day he charged them only 13.50 for a 25" loop of RSC, not the average deal. I'd rather pay a little extra, get to know the dealer, hell, we're good buddies after 30 years of haggling, bantering back and forth. You need to think long term when buying.

How many years did it take to get to this discounted relationship with your dealer

teacherman

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
<cut>

Once again I can't talk for the US, but I also believe that the Stihl Shop mentality is allowing too many dealers to open up in too closer proximity of each other. My area is smallish and at one stage we had 3 Stihl dealers within 30 minutes of one another in a population of around 30,000. Out of this 30,000 only a very small % are chainsaw (or outdoor power product) users. One Stihl dealer has already gone broke and I know things are very tight with the other two. One guy is as tight as a fishes' arse and his pricing reflects that (he's also the one more likely to go nroke first). The other dealer has excellent off the bat pricing and has secured any limited saw service work that I might need done. You don't need to haggle with him to get a good deal.

Good points, for sure.

To the OP: Sorry about the name-calling. Sometimes I just shouldn't post......:angry2: I think that dealers need to be able to make a profit on what they sell, because it takes a lot of dough to pay overhead and staff, and I am amazed that as many manage to stay open as they do, if that makes sense. Part of the prob is all the taxes and fees, and then there are the large number of mail-order saws sold, which is likely why Stihl does not allow that. Glad you got the saw, hope it serves you a long time.

atvguns

atvguns

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ok I have got to tell my story hope it don't stir the pot to much. I have a stihl dealer located 10 miles from me, I went in one day and looked at some of the weed whackers which had the price tag on them I asked him if I found one a little cheaper some other place if he would match their price he said H### no. So I called a few other places in a 40 mile radious and all of them was 10-20 dollars cheaper. After a couple of weeks of contimplating I decided this guy is closer I'll just give him the extra 20 no biggy. When I walked in the door there was several of his buds setting around the shop the first think he said to me was (did you ever find anyone to give you a weedwhacker) he made it a point to say it loud enough for everyone to hear, they all started laughing. I said no I didn't I decided to buy from you. I pulled the cash out of my front pocket so he could see it and said but I guess that aint going to happen. I turned around walked out ain't been back sense So was it him or me that runt the close good dealer relationship

MCW

MC are ya telling me I gotta come do some work with ya before you will decide to buy from me, man you really drive a tuff bargin, LOLOL

Not at all Tom but if a Stihl dealer (or any dealer or business for that matter) is going broke yet doing nothing to be proactive and help their situation then too bad. Unfortunately many people are in business that couldn't run a root in a brothel yet somehow think the world owes them an income.

Fact is MC Stihl has feild reps running all over the dayumm place having meetings and get togethers with arborists, fire companies, tree outfits, landscape outfits and just about with any outfit that uses outdoor power equipment. Hell our field rep was over at Dullus airport demo'ing cut off saws for some big metal cutting job they had not long ago. He was at the local Vol-tec center here in town and got me a ton of business awhile back. He also demo's for the local government and state people. He even works with the school boards and fed government. Now these feild reps send these people to the nearest dealer that sells the product so no we dealers don't have to go out and work with these people, we got some people doing it for us. These type of sales go way into the $1000's, not someone wanting just one unit. Now I admits they aren't packing a suit case and going door to door in town to every homeowner that might want a $149.00 trimmer, thats what the $50,000,000 a year in advertising Stihl spends is for. So in all your right, you've never seen a dealer go out and look for business, ya never will either, he has people doing it for him. I will say it will be a icy day in hell when I go to work pruning a tree with a man to get him to buy a pruner, a nice looking young lady now, I'll load the pruner, you got the address, be right there,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Hah hah. You must get it good over there Tom! I was referring to Australian Stihl dealers and I am correct with every dealer I know of. They think by sticking a Stihl sign on the front of their shop that customers will come :)
I deal with a hell of a lot of orchards (the biggest saw users/buyers in our area by far) and I can assure you they've never seen anybody representing Stihl apart from over the counter in a Stihl shop. I think you'll find that Stihl US has a better overall business plan than Stihl Australia. Probably due to more competition? Maybe we've got bad Stihl reps here but one thing is for sure, you guys in the states are well ahead on customer service with most things compared to Ausralian business. The reason I get so much gear from the US imported to Australia isn't only because of price, but because with many things I can get better service from some guy 1000's of miles away that I've never met - seriously :cheers:

Last edited:
zich6

zich6

ArboristSite Member
how can you even begin to compare his story with yours?
he mentioned that this husky dealership considers their SALE PRICE to be $50 OVER the msrp, so he walked out.

you walked away because you couldnt get 10% off the msrp.

thats not apples to apples

I wasn't claiming the deals were the same. I complemented him on being a reasonable shopper.

Latest posts