Fairbanks Morse washer material?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm missing one of the fiber washers for the starter on my 07S. I have one good one for a pattern. What would be a good, readily available material to make a new one from? I'm assuming these aren't available from Stihl Please correct me if I'm wrong.

what's the stihl part number? I can still get the washers for other older recoils... don't have the 07 ipl in front of me though..

BTW.. DON'T lube any part around the washers... it will never throw out if you do.

Thanks Andy. I'll have to get that when I'm home later today. My experience is that all of the 07S PNs I've checked about were NLA. I'll get you the PN though. I'm hoping it'll cross to the PN for a saw for which the washers are available.

The sad part is that I had two good washers and lost one:cry: I've search around my bench and can't find it anywhere. I'm afriad it may have gotten swept up.

I may have some

I am supposed to be receiving an order from NPA Distributors, the gentleman there said he would throw in a bag of the friction washers. I don't have the order in hand yet but may have some spares.

There is a thread over on CSCse (I think I started it) discussing FM starters and fixes.

Last week Charlie Harper told me the best fix for the cup is to bore it out to accept the Sthil insert (1111 195 4100 or 111 195 9300, he was not sure which was steel and which was plastic) and press the Stihl insert into the worn FM cup. I need to do this for my Strunk one day.

If the parts arrive and I have a bunch of extra washers I will let you know.

Mark

Stiff leather will do if you don't have a spare. It works fine in my 070.....

070/090 starter parts fit the 07S.

Last edited:
I'm missing one of the fiber washers for the starter on my 07S. I have one good one for a pattern. What would be a good, readily available material to make a new one from? I'm assuming these aren't available from Stihl Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I make a lot of them from the fiber backing pads used for sanding discs .The type used in body shops,usually mounted on mini grinders and 5" angle grinders.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up buying a pack of faucet washers from Lowes. They're the perfect diameter, although a little thicker. All I had to do was cut the ID to match the shaft. Works like a charm.

Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up buying a pack of faucet washers from Lowes. They're the perfect diameter, although a little thicker. All I had to do was cut the ID to match the shaft. Works like a charm.

nothing like being resourceful huh? Some guys might cringe, I think it is cool. Wish more people used their heads for other things than noise makers and hat racks

Latest posts

Back