Fall This Little Tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey SlowP sorry for the thread hijack. I remember you said in thread a while back about all the maple dying up where you live. I'm seeing the same thing here south of Auburn. Has anybody checked into the cause?

Hey SlowP sorry for the thread hijack. I remember you said in thread a while back about all the maple dying up where you live. I'm seeing the same thing here south of Auburn. Has anybody checked into the cause?

I think they have. I think it is a combination of a root rot and something else. Help is needed from somebody like Madhatte who remembers this stuff. I am waiting for the wind to fall one on my place.

A few years ago, I fell 4 small maple snags and one sat back. I don't think I have the bar control to do the cut that Samlock shows. A logger told me that was the way to go with small maples. So, I'll leave it for somebody else.

If'n you where just a tad closer I'd fall it for ya... its most of a day drive to get there...

could you fall it with the lean? if so just put in a tiny little undercut and back it up like normal. should be able to stuff a wedge in there just to be sure if you make a tiny undercut.

Its the wedge pounding that is more likely to knock widower makers down on ya, so like I said try to fall it with the lean.

I agree with North here. The simplest solution is usually the best solution, fall it into the lean and with the prevailing wind. If no lean at all then make your face as low as you can and keep that nice wedge I traded you for snug but don't pound it hard. In fact you might want to give the tree a couple hard blows with your ax before you start and see if anything falls out.

From my (limited) perspective I would not hesitate cutting this tree down. I deal with California big leaf maples fairly often and they are indeed weak trees with no fiber strength. I have found them to be on par with Bay trees. Predictable if not growing in a creek. We all know that over-confidence will get you sooner or later so it is good to see you being cautious.

Help is needed from somebody like Madhatte who remembers this stuff.

Still investigating. There are a few suspects, some bacterial, some fungal, some insectal. It's most likely a complex of agents related to Madrone Decline. I know of a few areas on our property where there's nearly 100% maple mortality within the last couple of years. I'll write something up as soon as I have a firm grasp on what it is and how it works. What it isn't (so far) is Sudden Oak Death, though it will likely be in the next few years. Bigleaf maple, of all of our common trees, is the one you most likely won't see in 50 years.

Still investigating. There are a few suspects, some bacterial, some fungal, some insectal. It's most likely a complex of agents related to Madrone Decline. I know of a few areas on our property where there's nearly 100% maple mortality within the last couple of years. I'll write something up as soon as I have a firm grasp on what it is and how it works. What it isn't (so far) is Sudden Oak Death, though it will likely be in the next few years. Bigleaf maple, of all of our common trees, is the one you most likely won't see in 50 years.

That is sad - it's a gorgeous tree and makes great firewood. No real advice on falling - you prolly got more experience with that BLM than I do. I would prolly jis bore cut that one and pray for the best. The last maple I cut down had a rotten core :(

The good news is I have actually seen some Elms surviving here in Europe - usually they have a 15-20 year life span before the Dutch Elm takes em. There are a few in Abbeyleix that are huge and somewhat healthy. So there's a chance the trees will do OK...eventually. The locals are trying their best to grow resistant strains. Chalara Fraxinus has been found on some ships that have been turned away from Ireland. SO we are all panicked about it. Ash is a very important product for Ireland and England. I have easily hewn thousands of Ash trees for Ikea alone, and there is a 500 acre ash farm behind the kennels I volunteer at. It is amazing how straight they can get the Ash to grow here - not unlike red alder.

What has happened on my place is that a beauty of a bigleaf died from the recent plague. In fact 3 died. I have a young sapling that is growing within 15 feet of where the big one died. It is growing well, in spite of being damaged during the take down of the big one. There are quite a few others springing up also.

I'll keep an eye out. Lets say the one sapling is 6 years old. Science begins.

Now back to the falling. The tricky thing for me, is that the tree is forked and one leans up into the other and makes it weird. I think they'd have to go one at a time?

Just a question. I am not a faller and in fact not very good at it. I would instinctively think the 2 halves might separate if trying to fall as one stick so I would maybe wrap a chain to hold them together. Is that overkill or the wrong idea completely? I really don't like the dead ones and don't know this species grain.

One fork at a time is what I was thinking. On the ground may be different.

I had a sugar maple in the yard lose 1/2 it's leaves. I was thinking heat stress. The leader is still green. The bigleaf next to it is 18 yr older & fine.

This is definitely time the wind country at times.

View attachment 305239 View attachment 305240
RABIFRAVITZ! I just noticed that the healthy nice maple that has a nice, straight trunk looks to be infected. The first two pictures are of it.
At least, I think I will be able to fall it if it is dead next year. It should go right down the road. It is about 10 inches in diameter.

The last photo is of the young one that is growing and probably related to, the one that died 4 years ago. It is still healthy.
View attachment 305241

Last edited:
That second maple is dead too, it just doesn't know it yet. Saw that first tree like any other tree fall it the way it leans, close to the ground and if you need push it over with a large machine. I would push them both over with a tractor.

If you don't like the look of it don't mess with it. I never heed this advice personally, but I should

View attachment 305239 View attachment 305240
RABIFRAVITZ! I just noticed that the healthy nice maple that has a nice, straight trunk looks to be infected. The first two pictures are of it.
At least, I think I will be able to fall it if it is dead next year. It should go right down the road. It is about 10 inches in diameter.

The last photo is of the young one that is growing and probably related to, the one that died 4 years ago. It is still healthy.
View attachment 305241

Hey! Watch your language young lady or that Gologit guy will come after you with a stick!

Back