Falling a Big One

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We need RB back at AS a true tree man,no bull???? im the best blah blah,just a guy doing his job,and doing it well.and not a rip off merchant

I got the video on my hard drive but it is a winamp playlist file and I lack the know-how to change is to something AS will take.

nice work rb makes these poplars look small 65 ft i guess , but check out the large willow in the corner a differant story tad over 70 ft and 30 ft wide..this also came over in one peice missing a wall and fence and what you cant see from the picture this tree had a severe back lean..like you i havent ever had an insurance claim and dont want ,we had an added bit of help on the pulling over of this tree a 9 ton backhoe trouble was this was a construction site and when the backhoe gave us a pull he had only a few inches to go before he would have been in a 7ft trench.think the bugger would go over :( ..in the end she did just

i expected the tree to go over dead easy with the help of the backhoe ..heres a pic of the reason she didnt go over as smooth as i wished

the tree must have had an internal split or shake as we call it in the uk the hinge held but the split whent rite deep into the root ball and whent with the hinge :confused: iv'e never had this problem before still as they say you live and learn:D

maybe the splitting had something to do with the builders excavating around the roots ?? ...not something you would have wanted to happen with your tree RB

i dont think jason is gay ..but i'll tell him tommorrow what you think of his bod ..and i'll tell him where you can be contacted just in case ;)

Maybe your trouble on that tree was compounded by TOO MUCH pull on that tree before the hinge was properly formed.. I had that experience earlier this summer.... I think the tree may have fallen to the lay if the hinge was fully formed before the pulling began...

I'll bet Daniel...

Was your backhoe operator pulling from the time you started the back cut?

Pulling with heavy machinery can often cause this, or worse Barber chairs... as the incredible force exerted breaks out the wood before the hinge is formed.

If pulling with heavy force, or 'unknown heavy force' A plunge cut often works well... set the hinge, apply the force, then nip the back out... over it goes.

This better get shrunk back to 4 pages. I want to seem some posts deleted! :angry:

Edit: we're making headway. Get this crap cleaned up off the floor! I want it all chipped up before rbtree gets home.

Originally posted by murphy4trees
Maybe your trouble on that tree was compounded by TOO MUCH pull on that tree before the hinge was properly formed.. I had that experience earlier this summer.... I think the tree may have fallen to the lay if the hinge was fully formed before the pulling began...

i have been thinking the same thing..i had left quite a big hinge when i told the machine driver to pull..after reading a few of your threads Daniel i have started to realise that there is a real art and science in falling a tree just the way you want it to go and how the wood fibers react ..i guess were all still learning..what i would like is a nice open space and a few dozen big trees to fall and experiment differant falling tecniques on

Back