Falling article

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike,

Nevermind.

Maybe I'll start another thread for this one.

But start with using an axe for driving wedges, and keep reading.

???? it, I'll give you a hint...

One thing really stands out in that thing to show that no arborist or logger ever had a hand in editing it for correctness.

YOU GUYS try to figure out what that is.

Mike, I'll PM you the answer. Let's see if anyone else can spot it.

Hi SB, I remember that picture, it was exacty a year ago. I recall leaving a big dutchmen in it and didn't care, cause it was only firewood, but there was lots of rot in it and so I had a few toothpicks at lunch time. It was pretty cool though. What thread was that picture on? I was looking for it to post here
John

I think it is good to post some pictures of what can go wrong and if we stay at something long enough things will go wrong, but it all comes down to how we did or didn't react to midigate the damage and potential for personal injury.
Here's another one. This one didn't barberchair, rather the double top not only glanced against an adjacent tree, but slabbed from crown to butt when the the double top clapped together when it hit the ground.
The fact that it was 20 below at the time was also a factor in the wood splitting.
John

It is apparent to me that loggers like Gypo know a whole lot more than us arbo types about cutting technique in falling trees.... I'd love to pick your brain sometime... and nothin beats watching a master in action....
To me, there are only two factors that mater in chainsaw technique... safety and directional control... Butt shatter and fiber pull on a scale of 1-10 are 0.... Totally irrelivant....Last time I got paid for a log, it was a big dead red oak... I made $34... before that.... its been so long I don't rememeber....

So here's the tree: Both leads have got to go stage right, making the dead lead, a front leaner and the live lead a back leaner...

Big Jon set the rigging pulley and rope puller....

Here's the logs on the ground... I didn't know until they were brushed out just how straight the second drop was....

Big Jon's comment at the time.... "Like it had eyes".... They don't all go down like that, but it's fun when they do.... Very little lawn damage...

Well, since nobody has noticed...

kowens- When's the last time YOU saw a chainsaw with a pull cord on BOTH sides?

:laugh:

No way a logger or arborist wrote THAT thing.

Murph- Interesting article, even though I agree with alot of points. Congrats on the publication!

I see what you're talking about now.  The images were published reversed.  The images not being right-oriented are a much smaller point than, say, butchered language...

Other than that, a quick flip-through the document leaves a very good impression on me.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Glen

Actually, those pictures were just the start. I think there's alot more wrong with it, but hey... what do I know.

i've picked Gypo's brain before over some time now, just for the reasons that Daniel stated. This merging of the strengths and understandings of the 2 outlooks, sterategies etc.

i really use fiber pulling a lot, and that would mess up some of the money end of the log, if i had lumber concerns. Usually i try to exercise control over direction and speed, to have greater command understanding of the process, less ground concussion, less spring poles (less side growth, less spring poles in woods ?) etc. Also forcing more fiber pulling, by loading to target with wedge and line to fatten/strengthen hinge- giving more fiber pull(wedge/line direction would either go to oppose lean force some, or to target; i think that only pulling to target strenghtens hinge). But the tree has the same force either way, i really rely on the brake force and stretching of the fibers for this (that in turn demands transfer of this load to stump and roots, so they must be wound, and can rip a water pipe etc. if it is tightly wrapped in the roots, as it takes on this load etc.).

Taking that sideways into the tree, i use the fiber pull the same, sometimes forced hard, so come out further from the parent, as not to let the same fiber disruption have a chance to travel into parent stem being left.

i think that the fiber pull/hinge strength is determined at first folding, without aids; the shallower the lean then; sets it's own hinge weaker (in addition to having to travel further on it, and immeidately hit higher loading than a steeper leaner in first degree of movement); so a straighter vertical tree or branch balance would give less fiber pull i think.

I think we could argue this one forever. We pilots have a saying that any landing you can walk away from is a good one. Is every notch you all make come out perfect? No! Did it work and was it safe? Yes. Is this a picture of a perfect example not really. It all depends on what your looking to show.

Loggers and arborist are so different. As someone mentioned before we don't have the luxury to take chances and fail.

To make this backcut in this situation was difficult. It is always more difficult to get lined up and level when cutting above your head.

I feel that since he didn't cut his notch off and the tree landed where he wanted it to it was a success.

I do see where you guys are comeing from.

Sometimes when we think we have it all together and begin to believe we know what we're doing, all hell can break loose.
John

Latest posts

Back