Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just fall with the lean? Man, I want a job where you work.

That's what I've been doing in the limblock patch. Except the one still went over backwards and hit the fence!

My Man Camp plan is to attract the type A (a stands for a bad thing) executives. Maybe the whole team. Turn it into a Team Building--Retreat type thing, or whatever the latest fad is. Remember the Fire Walking?
Well, we'll do it with tree falling. Try to boost their egos even more. And the "guides" may even teach some original cussing, if the client wishes.

We don't want to get too hard on the clients. So, I'll supply lots of cushy soft toilet paper. No single ply.
We want to pamper them, but still make them think they are roughing it and having an authentic experience.

Hahaha, you should have seen me my first week in the woods. I was like, "How do you guys pack TP with ya?"

They were like, "You see any sleeves on our shirts?" LOL

Ain't nothing worse than having the berries 800' feet down, and realizing you ain't got no sleeves left! :msp_scared:

That's why you gots to wear an inexpensive undershirt for the worst case-upall night-thought a drinking contest on tuesday after work was a good call-cleanup on isle 6-scenario

You cut the wedge shaped peice out of the face in front of the hinge to expose it. The lean is on the far side (opposite the siswel). By exposing the fibers of the hinge on the near side they bend instead of break when the face is closing, keeping the butt on the stump longer and allowing the top to swing to the lay. The far side is dutched off completely either before or during the process. The idea is keeping the tree on the stump long enough to pull the top from its lean to the lay. Just like with a dutchman you cut the far side off (lean side) and keep the near side intact (swing to side). Just keep the fatty hinge close to you if you get my drift. Explaining this in person is a #####, online it gets pretty abstract. Think of where the tension wood is and the compression wood is. Tension wood keeps the tree to the stump. You can see on the butt where it pulled the hinge wood from the stump.

Not abstract at all, this explains it clearly, for me anyway. :msp_thumbup:

If your select cutting it and cutting it this way i bet it looks like F**K after your done..lol

Exactly the boss always had us take one of the shovels out to bunch the wood. Then skid it out. Pain in the ass and a waste. I finally convinced him to let me fall and buck. He noticed we didn't need the shovel to bunch and that to guys are putting out the same amount of wood as four had been. Maple does make a #####y mess anyways.

So, this ice storm has us all scrambling to clean up the mess, and everybody has been made a deputized temporary arborist. This has given me some cool opportunities to do some tricky cuts. The video is me cutting a 40" DF between a building and a road; I used the patented DangerCat Soft Dutchman to swing it about 90 degrees from its lean. There are a couple of minutes missing here; they're on my YouTube channel if you want to see them. My crappy camera phone only films for a minute at a time. In the second video you'll see the bar pinch as the tree sits down on the steps -- I noticed that before the wedge tipped.

[video=youtube_share;ZRhWjZEkNAE]http://youtu.be/ZRhWjZEkNAE[/video]

[video=youtube_share;VMV86cpJqwc]http://youtu.be/VMV86cpJqwc[/video]

This was a tree between a building and a tree to be kept. I used a block face to steer it more definitively. The hinge held very well, and as you can see, broke off cleanly when the faces contacted. I see that I should have used a snipe, and will next time.

Photo327.jpg

Photo326.jpg

Photo325.jpg

There's lots more left to cut. I'm sure I'll have other highlights to post. Pretty good for a sissy tree nerd, huh?

EDIT: oh, and a new dent on the Skull Bucket:

Photo324.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work Madhatte! Its pretty damn fun watching those cuts work for ya.

By the way, where'd you get that pretty blue cover? I cracked mine up the last time it got good and cold.

Funny thing about the blue cover. It's at once a joke and serious business. We had one of our 260's walk off last fire season, and it was really my fault because I didn't have any kind of accounting at all other than a sharpied ID number on the bottom of the case so I'd know which saw was which. A few weeks ago, I etched up the cylinders and covers and both case halves on EVERY small engine we have. I also painted the filter covers that shade of blue -- the better to see from a distance, true, but also the better to be the same color as our tree marking paint. Ain't a pawnshop in this universe would touch one of our saws now.

Madhatte you need a better camera! Lol! Nice job! Your saw is louder then mine, I'm jealous. Just subscribed to your channel to.

Your saw is louder then mine, I'm jealous.

Thank yez, thank yez -- that's a brand-new 660 with a DP cover, and that was its first cut! First time it's even been gassed up other than for testing before it left the shop. Had it about 4 months; between injury and demand, this was the first time in awhile I needed something that size.

Good stuff Naterade!

On the block face, next time don't step the cut, and you can take advantage of the lower fibers as evidenced by the red arrow.

Back-cut on blue dotted line. . . Red dotted line is fiber column that will flex.

Green arrow shows fibers you want to use, as making a step just made them unnecessarily longer. I won't mention the snipe cause you already did.

Giver'er a try that'away next time and see what ya think.

attachment.php

I take coffee into the woods for the creature comfort, and to not miss the chance for that one more cu[ during the day. makes for a much cozier ambiance. But, the thermos makes a handly storage spot for some duct tape. I got to put it to use today, that and a little piece of wood held my handle together for atleast 6 hours of full on falling and truthfully I didn't even notice a difference. Won't last, but it made me through the day without a trip to the truck or anything.

View attachment 219856

View attachment 219857

New handlebar, $143 plus shipping.
My local dealer said " you can't get that part anymore"
I said, "yes you can"
He said, "let me rephrase that, I can't get that part anymore."

East coast. fooey.

So, this ice storm has us all scrambling to clean up the mess, and everybody has been made a deputized temporary arborist. This has given me some cool opportunities to do some tricky cuts. The video is me cutting a 40" DF between a building and a road; I used the patented DangerCat Soft Dutchman to swing it about 90 degrees from its lean. There are a couple of minutes missing here; they're on my YouTube channel if you want to see them. My crappy camera phone only films for a minute at a time. In the second video you'll see the bar pinch as the tree sits down on the steps -- I noticed that before the wedge tipped.

[video=youtube_share;ZRhWjZEkNAE]http://youtu.be/ZRhWjZEkNAE[/video]

[video=youtube_share;VMV86cpJqwc]http://youtu.be/VMV86cpJqwc[/video]

This was a tree between a building and a tree to be kept. I used a block face to steer it more definitively. The hinge held very well, and as you can see, broke off cleanly when the faces contacted. I see that I should have used a snipe, and will next time.

Photo327.jpg

Photo326.jpg

Photo325.jpg

There's lots more left to cut. I'm sure I'll have other highlights to post. Pretty good for a sissy tree nerd, huh?

EDIT: oh, and a new dent on the Skull Bucket:

Photo324.jpg

Blue filter cover?

making a step just made them unnecessarily longer.

What's weird is that I don't remember putting a step in there, though I obviously did. I was pretty nervous about hitting the building... which, by the way, I did today, with a big ol' sycamore. How come you guys didn't tell me those things won't swing? I wasn't even trying anything ambitious, just 20 degrees to miss the wall. It just popped the holding wood like it wasn't even there and went the way it wanted. The other sycamores I dropped after that I didn't try anything fancy at all because I was just plain annoyed with the species. You know how the Deja Vu nudie bars have that motto about "99 beautiful girls... and three ugly ones"? That was my stumps today. Props to you production fallers who do this stuff every day. This is hard work.

What's weird is that I don't remember putting a step in there, though I obviously did. I was pretty nervous about hitting the building... which, by the way, I did today, with a big ol' sycamore. How come you guys didn't tell me those things won't swing? I wasn't even trying anything ambitious, just 20 degrees to miss the wall. It just popped the holding wood like it wasn't even there and went the way it wanted. The other sycamores I dropped after that I didn't try anything fancy at all because I was just plain annoyed with the species. You know how the Deja Vu nudie bars have that motto about "99 beautiful girls... and three ugly ones"? That was my stumps today. Props to you production fallers who do this stuff every day. This is hard work.

Having one go sideways on you helps to keep you humble. I've had days when I was so humble I probably qualified for sainthood. :msp_wink:

What's weird is that I don't remember putting a step in there, though I obviously did.

Now, that's a shame. . . Alzheimers at such a young age.

There is a silver lining on that cloud, next year you can hide your own Easter eggs! :laugh:

Now, that's a shame. . . Alzheimers at such a young age.

There is a silver lining on that cloud, next year you can hide your own Easter eggs! :laugh:

Maybe we could get the picture of that stump blown up to poster size and Madhatte could use it as a training aid. 'Course I guess that would depend on who he was training and what he was training them to do.

Latest posts

Back