Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
forestryworks

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice looking stumps for the most part.
Those dead and decaying trees have a bad reputation for a reason. That tree looks like it had a bad rotten spot below the face that failed when the weight of the tree pressed down on it and then started pulling forward.
Do you have any more pictures or details of the one with a stump failure?

That's the only picture I got of that tree. It was a walnut or a hickory.

I go back to the same area in the morning... try to get some more shots.

joesawer

joesawer

Addicted to ArboristSite
That's the only picture I got of that tree. It was a walnut or a hickory.

I go back to the same area in the morning... try to get some more shots.

Without seeing the bark, limbs or leaves- I am guessing hickory.
Walnut usually has a very distinct heart wood that is somewhat decay resistant. While hickory will have a very dark heart sometimes on older trees in younger ones it will often be all sap wood. While they are very strong fiberous tree, they tend to decay very fast and they also tend to barber chair because the hinge is so strong in sound wood.

forestryworks

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
How far did you jump when it popped? :)

Haha, I didn't jump too bad.

It actually all went normal, until a second after the face closed and then it decides to go bonkers. Good thing I had already retreated.

Now I gotta go clean up the top. It threw limbs into the horse camp.

056kid

056kid

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Well, steelhead season is officially over today, thats ok though, il be puttin some falling pics of my own up here in a few weeks. Work till September then come back to Oregon. Steelhead season opens back up in September, how convenient:greenchainsaw:

I got 2 "egg wagons" this week haha that **** cracks me up. One was all beat up and the other was a big fat bright native who i allmost whacked on the head befor I saw her adipose fin....

Last edited by a moderator:
bitzer

bitzer

******** Timber Expert
Haha, I didn't jump too bad.

It actually all went normal, until a second after the face closed and then it decides to go bonkers. Good thing I had already retreated.

Now I gotta go clean up the top. It threw limbs into the horse camp.

That stump didn't look too bad as far as rot. Hickory loves to chair. Anything with a good amount of head lean and I'm boring behind the hinge first or cutting out the heart. I've seen stumps split to the ground all the way across after the stem leaves on sound trees. Lots of pressure in those heavy fiberous bastards.

Good Pics tho man!

forestryworks

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well, steelhead season is officially over today, thats ok though, il be puttin some falling pics of my own up here in a few weeks. Work till September then come back to Oregon. Steelhead season opens back up in September, how convenient:greenchainsaw:

I got 2 "egg wagons" this week haha that **** cracks me up. One was all beat up and the other was a big fat bright native who i allmost whacked on the head befor I saw her adipose fin....

be sure to get some pics of those yellow-poplars.

Cedarkerf

Cedarkerf

Known to some as....
. AS Supporting Member.
Give me your worst

Ok leaning Red Alder 30"+ Heavy head lean asmany know Red Alder is notorius for barber chairing,slabing ,splitting, and out right exploding on a stump when leaning. Dropping it for a friend whos gonna build a house on this acreage so picked convienant stump height as stumps will be pulled by contractor. Yes there is a small taperd dutchman not by design coulda cleaned that out widest part was on the side lean stem side figured it wouldnt hurt.
Not at all as pretty as the other stumps on here give me your worst.

2 of the stems lean tword the camera almost equel to the side lean of the one on the right. The middle stem has an intermediate lean twords the camera and the back stem is about veritcal.
attachment.php

The main stem leans twords the camera as well.
attachment.php

The undercut pics grainy because mntngal was a long ways away with a telephoto lense.
attachment.php

The resulting stump after making two angled cuts and the straight back cut to reduce its chance of barber chairing or splitting. No hints of splitting or slabbing whatsoever.
attachment.php

056kid

056kid

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
be sure to get some pics of those yellow-poplars.

You bet!! I am going to try and get some video action too. Looks like you are getting to have some fun and sharpen your skills, good! Sorry I never got back to you on your message, tax woes make me wanna do noting but fish and smoke weed, o yea and be an ass hole too haha. Im fine now though..

forestryworks

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
You bet!! I am going to try and get some video action too. Looks like you are getting to have some fun and sharpen your skills, good! Sorry I never got back to you on your message, tax woes make me wanna do noting but fish and smoke weed, o yea and be an ass hole too haha. Im fine now though..

Hell I forgot what I sent to ya. Must not have been important :laugh:

Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
Ok leaning Red Alder 30"+ Heavy head lean asmany know Red Alder is notorius for barber chairing,slabing ,splitting, and out right exploding on a stump when leaning. Dropping it for a friend whos gonna build a house on this acreage so picked convienant stump height as stumps will be pulled by contractor. Yes there is a small taperd dutchman not by design coulda cleaned that out widest part was on the side lean stem side figured it wouldnt hurt.
Not at all as pretty as the other stumps on here give me your worst.

I've seen worse. :greenchainsaw: I'm not saying where, though. :)

Hddnis

Hddnis

Addicted to ArboristSite
I like that this thread is still going, it is one of the best.

Here is my contribution, a snag that was by my wood pile. I dropped it into the wind that was gusting to about 15mph. As you can see there is about three inches of punky rotten wood. Took a bit of wedge pounding to get it clear of the two trees it was between.

Used a tired old Stihl 034 I recently put new seals in. Compression is 135psi it is wearing a 24" Oregon bar and Stihl chain. It needs rings and a carb kit, but cut fine today and runs well enough that I didn't worry about felling with it.

P1080893.jpg

Down she went.
P1080894.jpg

Sloped stump.:mad:
P1080896.jpg

Limbed up and ready to buck into firewood.
P1080898.jpg

Mr. HE:cool:

forestryworks

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
today was crappy stump day.

i think my bar got tweaked ever so slightly.

5 out of 10 stumps would make you guys wince.

I'll get a pic of one or two tomorrow. Now it's time to go find out why this thing is binding up bad and cuttin' like a snake.

forestryworks

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
I like that this thread is still going, it is one of the best.

Here is my contribution, a snag that was by my wood pile. I dropped it into the wind that was gusting to about 15mph. As you can see there is about three inches of punky rotten wood. Took a bit of wedge pounding to get it clear of the two trees it was between.

Used a tired old Stihl 034 I recently put new seals in. Compression is 135psi it is wearing a 24" Oregon bar and Stihl chain. It needs rings and a carb kit, but cut fine today and runs well enough that I didn't worry about felling with it.

Looks good. Don't pound too hard on those snags though. Hit and look up. You did good though.

Hddnis

Hddnis

Addicted to ArboristSite
Looks good. Don't pound too hard on those snags though. Hit and look up. You did good though.

Yah, this one was shooting back for sure, but wedges was the best way for this tree. When it started going over it was raining branches, like they always do, this one really didn't stand out in that regard. I had two really good escape paths set up and I just backed down the easiest one and watched it crash, that was a good show!

I had sounded the tree to get a feel for the base and I thought I had better wood on the back so I put my face in a little deeper so the hinge would have good wood. Turned out the back was just as punky, but it was dry and so that is what threw me off. I left the hinge good and thick because of the wind and wedging to get it free.

056kid

056kid

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
today was crappy stump day.

i think my bar got tweaked ever so slightly.

5 out of 10 stumps would make you guys wince.

I'll get a pic of one or two tomorrow. Now it's time to go find out why this thing is binding up bad and cuttin' like a snake.

if the cuts match and wood is holding where it needs to be holding, you are in buisness!

Getting things level just takes time, I still have a hard time sometimes. I have nocitec that a longer bar makes it easier to keep it level.

Latest posts