Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
88,000 pounds on the truck right? Whats the lengths you haul typically?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

yes, legal weight here is 80. pine they really want um tree length. since their loader had trouble they told us 52'. this suits me because they were killing our little loader. and yea it way to much on the back axle but dad will take her if she rolls. you shoulda seen the what he'd do back in the day, them ol guys had um. I still don't know why they won't let me cut um back to 40 or so, it would make the top fit better on the truck.

Mike that's some damn nice timber ya cutting! Great looking lay also! :msp_thumbup: Pretty neat you are cutting where your "Pops" cut sometime back! Really neat actually! Thanks for the pics Mike! Looks great!

thanks Clint. I cut a lot of tracts dad cut, some of the LOs familys we managing they timber for a long time. I do get tracts he ain't cut tho.

I have cut tracts I have been on years ago but not many. Mostly only ever come back for the hardwood years later. When I used to cut ERC full time, I wouldn't leave much that was marketable...if any. Most people wanted it cut real heavy. I figure some of my first tracts probably have some good stuff on them by now maybe. IDK though...19 years isn't all that long for ERC to get big. I never did however cut coyote poles where I cut saw logs. I always cut coyote poles on other jobs hoping where I had cut the ERC saw logs...the smaller stuff would be there for me to get in the future.

I have cut tracts I have been on years ago but not many. Mostly only ever come back for the hardwood years later. When I used to cut ERC full time, I wouldn't leave much that was marketable...if any. Most people wanted it cut real heavy. I figure some of my first tracts probably have some good stuff on them by now maybe. IDK though...19 years isn't all that long for ERC to get big. I never did however cut coyote poles where I cut saw logs. I always cut coyote poles on other jobs hoping where I had cut the ERC saw logs...the smaller stuff would be there for me to get in the future.

What are coyote poles?

Coyote poles are ERC very specific sizing of 7 ft by 4" max on big end down to 2 1/2. Have to be very straight and limbs must be very small knots.

Coyote poles were originally sent out West and fences were built out of them. They were stood up and wrapped all together continuously...no gaps. The fences were built around pastures to keep coyotes from predating sheep and goats.

The same poles are sold in Colorado and fences are built the same and used along roads to stop snow drift.

They have always brought good money...$1.00 a piece and the buyer gets $7.00 out West.

Great pics TS! Nice lookin timber. 98,000 is what we can haul here. Everything I send is random length on a self loader truck and pup though. I've had guys haul my pulp that have been in the 115k range. I bet leavin em tree length makes pretty quick work of em.

Ah gotcha. Yea a 5 axle truck here is 80k if memory serves but you can get permitted up to101,500 with the right axles. Allot of guys are taking a 6 axle long logger and adding a short logger pup to be able to carry a better mixed load of long and short logs. Helps so they don't have to scramble for mule trains at the end of the job to haul all the shorties.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

A 48" bar on a big powerhead might be about all a man wants to pack around. A 32" will kill 3' trees way faster than a 20" and its not hard to pack.

Yeh, I was just fun'in. I am fixing to order my Stihl ES Light 32"...ordered my dual port cover today. I went to a shop that carries full skip on the roll, that is always a bonus. Thanks Kid!

You getting a .050" or .063"? You'll really like the way the light bar will make the saw balance.

IDK Mike...Glen suggested the .63, I would like to go that route but I would have to order ALL my loops....so IDK. Hey Mike, I pulled the de-comp button out today and put the plug in. Fixed the saw, must have been loosing some compression...seems to be running well, I cut a bunch of cookies earlier and seems nice.

I run .063" on bars over 24". It will carry more oil down the bar. It's a little bit stronger chain also. The saw shop should be able to order you loops rather easily. If not there's plenty of places that will get chains to you in 2 days or so.

IDK Mike...Glen suggested the .63, I would like to go that route but I would have to order ALL my loops....so IDK. Hey Mike, I pulled the de-comp button out today and put the plug in. Fixed the saw, must have been loosing some compression...seems to be running well, I cut a bunch of cookies earlier and seems nice.

maybe you ought to get some .404 , I hear it also doubles as a tune up device if wrapped properly in newspaper :chainsaw:

Great pics TS! Nice lookin timber. 98,000 is what we can haul here. Everything I send is random length on a self loader truck and pup though. I've had guys haul my pulp that have been in the 115k range. I bet leavin em tree length makes pretty quick work of em.

thanks Bitz, well if ya gotta cut pine let it be big ones. yes it is a bit faster, really we ain't bucked logs in several years. seems every one gone to treelength.

That's beautiful timber Sam. Those look like matching cuts, I've only seen those in pictures:bowdown: :cheers: (with coors)

Latest posts

Back