Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alder Coos vs. SSD Both trees roughly the same size. The Coos tree was leaning harder, and in worse shape than the SSD. Neither Tree split, although the SSD detonated on impact, and had more fiber pull.

Just don't mention the nearly falling on my ass bit... it was intentional really...

NM, awesome video man! You made both methods look easy. I liked how you didn't **** around with the coos' backcut after you had the side cuts done:bowdown: The firewood guys seem to have gotten the message that if you do the side cuts, u'r basically safe and can mosey thru the back cut in a leisurely fashion

NM, awesome video man! You made both methods look easy. I liked how you didn't **** around with the coos' backcut after you had the side cuts done:bowdown: The firewood guys seem to have gotten the message that if you do the side cuts, u'r basically safe and can mosey thru the back cut in a leisurely fashion

Which message is all wrong for trees needing a Coo's or similar treatment. In my firewood hack book, "leisurely" is wrong for any back cut; especially dangerous for those species that are prone to barber chair but appear to have little lean. Ron

I think that's key Ron. when you decide what to do, do it and don't fool around. when i'm sure whats going on I cut the back quikly. obviously back leaners are different.
I believe Bob said something to this effect a while back.

That is what I like about Bob's short video. He sizes the tree up then cuts it down. An oversimplification, but unnecessary time at the cut just increases the odds that the cutter is going to get hurt or killed. Typically I don't run from trees but I do try to cut and get to a safe spot quickly. I believe I enjoy getting everything just so and watching a tree fall as much as any other but to be safe I can't always have it all. This is nothing you, and hopefully all on this thread, don't already know. I used to comment on both the chainsaw and firewood threads about unsafe advice but things get so jumbled up that I have quit. I hope that the serious learners (including the "never will be pros" like Jon and myself) will seek out sound advice from guys like you on this forum. I appreciate you guys putting up with us land-clearing hacks, firewood hacks or whatever you want to call us. Ron

I think like Mike said, drop the handle. Its been such a long time since I hand filed. The arrow is pointing to where your file terminated I believe. Unless its due to the camera. The corner should be right at the top where the side and top plate meet. That corner can make a big difference. I'm no chain sharpening guru, but when a chain is not preforming how I know it can it drives me nuts. It can really ruin my day if I was too tired/lazy to really get my chains ripping. Not saying ur lazy Jon. That's just me!

View attachment 334819

Bob, his corner is there just the wire edge making it look low and flat.

Alder Coos vs. SSD Both trees roughly the same size. The Coos tree was leaning harder, and in worse shape than the SSD. Neither Tree split, although the SSD detonated on impact, and had more fiber pull.

Just don't mention the nearly falling on my ass bit... it was intentional really...

Good cutting. Nice dance, too. You got any music for those fancy steps? :laugh:

That is what I like about Bob's short video. He sizes the tree up then cuts it down. An oversimplification, but unnecessary time at the cut just increases the odds that the cutter is going to get hurt or killed. Typically I don't run from trees but I do try to cut and get to a safe spot quickly. I believe I enjoy getting everything just so and watching a tree fall as much as any other but to be safe I can't always have it all. This is nothing you, and hopefully all on this thread, don't already know. I used to comment on both the chainsaw and firewood threads about unsafe advice but things get so jumbled up that I have quit. I hope that the serious learners (including the "never will be pros" like Jon and myself) will seek out sound advice from guys like you on this forum. I appreciate you guys putting up with us land-clearing hacks, firewood hacks or whatever you want to call us. Ron

You and Jon are the exceptions to the "firewood hack" rule. Well, you are anyway. We're still not sure about Jon.:rolleyes: There's some others that have pro attitudes and believe me when I say that they get their questions answered even if their skill level and experience doesn't approach ours. I get a lot of PMs and I try to answer their questions the best I can. They're the ones that are honestly looking for information and help. I think we have an obligation to those guys. Somebody taught us when were green, a lot of people helped us, and we should pay that forward.
That being said...when an idiot appears who doesn't want advice but just validation for some half baked idea that he thinks will solve his problems he might not get as much consideration as somebody like you or Jon. When they ask our advice and then argue with it and then argue again when their errors in thinking or technique are exposed we tend to run out of patience real quick. I do anyway. Some of these guys are a lot more patient than I am.
There's a guy in Firewood now who thinks that using a jack on every tree, even if it's a leaner and being felled in the direction of lean, is the way to go. I think I better stay out of that one. My blood pressure is right where it should be. I like that.

I deducted a point. We girls were forced to do a little balance beam thing in junior high. When you kick or dip your toes off the beam, you are supposed to point your toes.
Slight bobble, no pointed toes, a points deduction.

I never fall down. I know you don't fall down. Nobody I know that works in the woods falls down. They don't fall down because fall down doesn't even begin to describe some the end over end, gear going every which way, arms and legs flailing, hard hat flying off, trying to get the saw away from you, knuckle skinning, knee scraping, shin gouging, screaming obscenities, absolute train wrecks that happen occasionally
But fall down? We never do that. Too ordinary.

I read that thread. I've used a jack on a log to free a saw but never on a tree and never will - way beyond my pay grade. Did you note that he sometimes uses two jacks? Lot of attention needed from one guy.

As a kid, I've been around failing jacks on the farm lifting equipment and such. I sure don't want to be around one much less two and a falling tree. Ron

bah jacks aren't so bad, just have to be careful with em and be sure to back em up with a wedge or two.

As a side note I forgot to add in the vid post, I normally make my back cuts on the coos with the power head facing the same direction, or using the same side of the bar on all three cuts... This time I figured the saw would be in the way so I flipped it over...

Ms. P My toes where pointed you just couldn't see it through the boots.;) I'll see you all wherever the next summer olympics are being held...

I never fall down. I know you don't fall down. Nobody I know that works in the woods falls down. They don't fall down because fall down doesn't even begin to describe some the end over end, gear going every which way, arms and legs flailing, hard hat flying off, trying to get the saw away from you, knuckle skinning, knee scraping, shin gouging, screaming obscenities, absolute train wrecks that happen occasionally
But fall down? We never do that. Too ordinary.
That's called a "yard sale"

Latest posts

Back