Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly right. I'd like to say that changes for the better...but it doesn't. Some days you'll ask yourself "have I forgotten everything I ever learned?" Most days aren't quite so bad.
hopefully you get it out of the way rite off the bat so ya feel alittle better at the end of the day. like having the first one set back before you can stab a wedge.

I've never seen anyone get paid to cut like that. Darn shame.

Any blood near those stumps? His/her luck won't last for ever.

them stumps are on blm roads, they sell units to clear the alder and maple from the edge of the roads. so this is prob just some lucky home owners getting fire wood. and these were easy trees. the unit that a friend has a few miles down the road sucked ,most on his were 10 to 20 feet down off of the road on the steep , almost have to rope your self down. real fun when you really have no escape accept a 100 plus down. just step back a little and watch the butt swing up over your head when laying them up on the road.

Nice work man! Even with a punky butted sob. You have it faced about 30 degrees more to the left originally? Just out of curiosity I'm guessing you are getting paid for these take downs and whatever you get for the logs is a bonus?

Here are some pics from the last job. Mostly tall hickory, small white oak, and big red oak. Definetly some of the tallest hickory I've ever cut. Some had 55 linear feet of logs in them.

Hickory.jpg

One of the bigger white oak.
Whiteface2.jpg

Stump.

Whitestump2.jpg

I didn't see the seam until she blew up on me. If you look near the butt you can see the darker weathered wood. These shagbarks hid their cracks and seams really well. She split out to 17 feet. I was ****ing pissed. Still got 3 12 footers after that though. That split crap went into the firewood pile.

Hickorychair.jpg

Red oak punkin patch. They seemed to be grouped in 5 or 6 like this through-out the woods.

Redoakpunkins.jpg

Nah there is enough here to get paid rather well just for the timber. there "was" a truck load and a half in the back yard and only 2 needed rigging, I think there is at least two loads waiting for a truck now, and probably another load I'll get to tomorrow.

Everything thats left is getting a line in it an pulled over, so I lose a little to the climber but its more then worth it, what with so many high values targets surrounding everything.

As a side note I'm not sure the lines hung in this one did a whole lot of good, other then saving me some wedging. One bump from the Missus and she was off to the races

And yes I did originally have it faced another 10-15 degrees to the left, with a siz and a soft dutch... but then the top was hanging a good 20 feet from the butt. The pics from yesterday this is the one on the left.

Yeah I'm hogging the thread a little now. My phone camera sucks too. Its not foggy in any of these pictures.

A little rotten swinger.

Rottenbuttswing.jpg

Biggest butt in the woods, but she tapered pretty quick. Still a 1mbfer though.

Redstump3.jpg

I fought the buck and the buck won.

Bustedclutchcover.jpg

This guy spit out of the cut as soon as it drop. He got pinched in there and was being choked bad. I thought about just running the saw over him to end his misery, but then I didn't want to mess up my chain which was really rippin. While I was contemplating how I should finish him, he quit moving. When I made the next buck the logs leveled out and he started wigglin again, but he couldn't get out. I didn't want to cut him out either cause he was pissed. A few hours later I came back around with the forwarder and grabbed the logs. He went bookin out into the slash somewhere. I looked at the log and I couldn't figure out how he got in there in the first place.

Coonbuck.jpg

Nah there is enough here to get paid rather well just for the timber. there "was" a truck load and a half in the back yard and only 2 needed rigging, I think there is at least two loads waiting for a truck now, and probably another load I'll get to tomorrow.

Everything thats left is getting a line in it an pulled over, so I lose a little to the climber but its more then worth it, what with so many high values targets surrounding everything.

As a side note I'm not sure the lines hung in this one did a whole lot of good, other then saving me some wedging. One bump from the Missus and she was off to the races

And yes I did originally have it faced another 10-15 degrees to the left, with a siz and a soft dutch... but then the top was hanging a good 20 feet from the butt. The pics from yesterday this is the one on the left.

Yeah I spose you are selling logs to the mill. I'm just used to cutting for the mill. If I have anything fancy I need to do on a job the landowner has to pony up the extra. Otherwise the tree is staying. Its just not worth my time or the headache usually. With some landowners I have stretched that rule some and went above and beyond for no extra pay, but it doesn't help the wallet at the end of the day. Yeah it sucks when you put a lot of extra time into a stump with different cuts and the damn thing doesn't co-operate like it should. Punky wood is a toss up no matter what though.

Back