Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe- I'd love to kill some timber down your way. Super busy as usual here though. Just looked at a good sized clear cut yesterday. Some decent white oak. I'm predicting the second coming of the big cut over. At least in a smaller scale. Corn and beans are worth pushin the land up for now. Great pictures as usual. I've been drinking a sugar/salt mix that does a fine job. One quart water, half a teaspoon salt, six teaspoons sugar. It does wonders. Doctor approved. Really. I'm guessing thats what the salty fish were about?

Mike- my phone's camera is scuffed up so all the pics are fuzzy. Cuttin some tall wood for around here. A red oak yesterday stretched out to 65 feet to the first crotch. Those pics a page or two back are from the current job. How tall do your oak get?

depends on the ground, we have so many soil types here. on really good oak ground, the best i have seen is around 80' of good wood to a 16" top.
in the poorer ground i have seen um make one decent 12' log. we also have so many different oaks, that comes into play as well. the really nice ones are getting scarce as most the good ground has been cleared.

+1 Joe, just so many people here lookin at me for income.

From monday morning, the dougies you can barely see on the left are all I got done.View attachment 366416
one, that road cut looks old.......
two, ya got no side panel on the little deere......

three, i dunno how you deal with them big sticks with a 440.........a 540 drives me nuts some times. of course the winch can do alot.

Joe- I'd love to kill some timber down your way. Super busy as usual here though. Just looked at a good sized clear cut yesterday. Some decent white oak. I'm predicting the second coming of the big cut over. At least in a smaller scale. Corn and beans are worth pushin the land up for now. Great pictures as usual. I've been drinking a sugar/salt mix that does a fine job. One quart water, half a teaspoon salt, six teaspoons sugar. It does wonders. Doctor approved. Really. I'm guessing thats what the salty fish were about?

Mike- my phone's camera is scuffed up so all the pics are fuzzy. Cuttin some tall wood for around here. A red oak yesterday stretched out to 65 feet to the first crotch. Those pics a page or two back are from the current job. How tall do your oak get?
Sugar/salt concoction fir cramps?

I'm curious if any of you guys are running Oregon 72lgx84 chain. I had been buying but the 30 chain case and the last case I bought had about 15 chains in it that had teeth so hard you couldn't run a brand new file through them. Acted like the file was shot. Tried a new file and same thing again. Chains weren't boned on a rock or metal either. Needless to say I got the stihl dealer talked into coming way down on price and I'm running that with no problems. Was just wondering if anyone else had trouble with Oregon chain like that recently.

I talked to the rep. They made it rite . It was just weird cause that's all I've ever ran and all the sudden it wasn't worth taking out of the box! That gets aggravating when your what seems like a zillion miles from the skidder or the truck and you can't file your damm chain!

North, why does all your heavy equipment look like toys in the pictures?

Cause its all little, and most of em have fresh paint, which is kinda unheard of... doesn't help all the moisture in my smell phone giving everything a sort of soft focus.

one, that road cut looks old.......
two, ya got no side panel on the little deere......

three, i dunno how you deal with them big sticks with a 440.........a 540 drives me nuts some times. of course the winch can do alot.

The side panel was off to remind me to check the oil... I furget sometimes, then remember at the end of the day...

The winch helps but its not a fix all, mostly just paying attention to obstacles... and using a lot of twists and what not with the chokers. That and I usually only get 1-2 logs at a time, I have 3 chokers hanging but its rare that I have enough logs in one spot to use all three anyway.

Sharp turns can be, interesting...

I've pulled 4'+ hemlocks and 5' ceders with it, uphill...(27-37' long)

And lastly, yeah that road predates the current owners, when I started this job you could barely even tell there was a road there, continues up the back side of that ridge and onto the neighbors property, and then some, back side of that ridge still needs to be climbed though. Kinda fun dropping off the back side with a heavy turn and the front end just sorta hangs in the air for a little bit (you know like 6-7' in the air but your sitting level...) then she settles in and you can keep choogling...

lol, i have even left the hood up on the truck to remember.
ah, you are pulling shorter wood.........52' pine and 42' hardwood if they are big are hard to deal with. the pine im in now average 7000lb each according to my math. i wouldn't know what some of those biggest poplar last winter weighed.
it is different with a grapple, you can't drop and winch............but ya ain't gotta get off lol.

i come across an old stage road once in a while.........or thats what they call um.........it is interesting finding old features of past endevors.

We come across old roads quite a bit and utilize them if need be. It's awesome cause you can tell they knew rite where they needed to be. A lot of the stuff we cut lately has been on the steep and anything thst saves you save a few $$ on the steep helps. Cable skidding and dragging 150 feet of 5/8 cable uphill just plain sucks. But sometimes it's your only option to get the timber out. Easy route in from the neighbor but he's a real ........to deal with..

Yup, thats why I like to climb to the top and drag downhill... when ever possible, cause I'm Fat and 3/4 line is heavy...

I come across bits of cable all the time, occasionally broken chokers (less the bell) cat track parts, tons of stumps with spring board notches.

I also tend to get called in to "fix" what other loggers have left behind, usually I can use their skid roads, but not always, if they made a nasty mess and rutted the **** out of it, I pretty much have to start over.

By the way I hate cutting barked up rotten ass trees that should have been dealt with by the previous logger...

I like the worthless trees the last logger was scared to cut that were hanging over the main 3 phase power line and the power company trimmed the tree for the last 30 years instead if killing it. Most often a basswood or a cherry with red rot spilling out. Those are my favorite.
ha ha, not on a power line but i find bigguns all over they were afraid to cut. they gone when i'm thru lol.

oh the big loggers here were dropping like flies..........luckily not many upncomers have come along. not that i begrudge any body.......just that we don't need any more great big cut the whole shore down types...........i seen plenty of them come n go.

Yep, side leaners, anything 30' or less from a perceived property line, nearly every thing that might need a wedge...

On the plus side I'm getting fairly good at dumping trees near "high value targets"... still keeps me up nights thinking about the next ones...

Holding a lay is no big deal now, holding a lay and missing the pump house, barn and major highway... thats different

Latest posts

Back