Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who were the reprobates that left that sunlight behind?
When are people heading into the bush going to learn: take only photos and leave only footprints.
I hope you find who left that sunlight and give them what for.

The PNWers got it despite the gloom. I was wandering around and thought I'd take a picture. Today was bright and sunny if you were out in a 40 acre field with no trees. Then, when I got onto pavement, The Used Dog jerked on the leash and I dropped my little old camera and well, it finally kind of shattered. I still have a big :cry:camera.:cry:

i see you cut off all the flair before ya fall it

I have only cut a handful of east coast oaks, all inside the fence here following an ice storm in 2012, and I learned pretty quickly to trim the flare. Makes both the power and the bar go further. Pretty sure I got the idea here.

Yea that's 4.00 a bft easy.......normally I'd leave the flair on and cut it off after its down but that was a particularly nice stick and I only had a 24 inch bar on and didn't want any pullers. Treeslayer I'm sure you know how white oak can pull and turn a $2000 dollar veneer butt log into a $800 saw log. uploadfromtaptalk1416444489685.jpg

I have only cut a handful of east coast oaks, all inside the fence here following an ice storm in 2012, and I learned pretty quickly to trim the flare. Makes both the power and the bar go further. Pretty sure I got the idea here.
that flair on white oak can be hard too......grain running all different directions.

If you know it's not veneer grade and just a saw log, would you still take all the time to mess with the butt?
depends.......a busted butt is no good to any one. but as a rule i wouldn't mess with the flair......or it get a humbolt over the flair if the skidder don't have to go there.
that said, i have cut some pretty dam big saw logs.......a big sweet gum with two feet of fiber pull is sloppy........

Back