Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its basic physics. The 45 degree angle of the backcut actually helps the tree jump forward and when wedging the wedges automatically slide closer to the notch with every swing. When you're done you have a cool place to sit and admire your manly prowess at defeating nature once again.

Its basic physics. The 45 degree angle of the backcut actually helps the tree jump forward and when wedging the wedges automatically slide closer to the notch with every swing. When you're done you have a cool place to sit and admire your manly prowess at defeating nature once again.

Okay, now it makes sense. The slopping back cut is actually a slopping back rest for when you sit down. Okay, got it.

Valid question, though: where did people get the idea that the slopping back cut was a valid technique?

Why the innernet, of course! Everybody can be an expert. On another forum, somebody linked to an article about the money class of the future would be plumbers, electricians and other trades, because few people wanted to go into a line of work that took physical effort and you might get dirty. This is on a Seattle based forum--think Microsoft, etc. The replies were that you could do your own wiring and plumbing by watching how to do it on Youtube. Kind of scary, that.

Dunno. Looking at it with an ignorant eye and no real knowledge of how a tree responds to different cuts they must figure that the slope of the cut will help determine the direction of fall. I guess. I try not to dwell on it.
I do think, though, that if I was going to do something that had the potential to injure or kill me if I did it wrong, I'd study up on techniques first. That's just me. Old guy stuff, ya know. :rolleyes:

The tree actually stalled out on his unintentional dutchman. Funny. If it was a chair prone tree it probably would have.

Two reasons why the slopping back cut exists- laziness and historical laziness. Its a lot easier to chop out a backcut on an angle with an axe.

So I was right in catching the Dutchman! I am learning stuff. IN this dude's defense I am not sure he made a sloping back cut intentionally. Seemed he had a general idea what he SHOULD be doing, but blew the execution. I'll go with the laziness argument in this case.

I don't know what kind of tree that was but it must not be prone to 'chairing.
As many times as the cutter walked behind it back and forth and as much time as he spent peering into the back cut I kept waiting for it to take his head off.
Did anybody see him ever look up at all?
Poor wedging too.
The slopping back cut speaks for itself.

Yeah he never looked up. If he would have he would have noticed he didn't need to wedge the tree when it was already leaning ahead. High five though. Style points there.

hard to tell from the vid but it looks like a dead poplar, if so its almost impossible to chair.
i think Jon hit it, they think it has to fall the other way.....iv had guys swear it has to.....................they just don't understand

Back