Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
popple is the easiest to redirect of the two woods! popple with out having a rotten /hollow heart or being out/over aged that is ... aspen/popple will not grow in a cluster like basswood which has its own set of difficulties to deal with for directional falling from the stump. just like a steep hillside pistol butt stump, cluster felling is an art defined by experience of the faller! gravity has a winning record.

I'm with you bitz. Aspen and basswood is what I learned to swing on. I think basswood bark alone is tough enough to pull with.
Basswood is super stringy and popple will stay on the stump all day if ya let em, just gotta leave enough wood. Cottonwood will too although I rarely cut it. To me the toughest tree to swing can be hard maple. The fibers like to break early. Some red oaks too. Red elm might be the best at staying attached to the stump. I hate elm spring pole cuz they almost never shatter. They bend like an sob instead of break when laying timber on em. I will always take the time to cut em out of the way.

It's a shame most of the red elm that has any size to it is usually full of shake. American elm on the other hand is almost always solid but only about half the value of red.

Only when the mill gets in a pickle with a tight dead line. Had a big job in Springfield we helped them with. There were 6 guys cutting by hand a 660 timberjack 540E Deere 170 Franklin 210 Prentice and a 750 Deere dozer. I think it was like 650000 feet of primarily white oak and some monster white pine... Biggest pine I've ever cut . It was a lot of fun with that much man power but too much chaos at once for my liking. The mill wanted all the wood out as fast as possible or they were going to run out by the time spring thaw was over and everyone was back cutting full swing.

Back