Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the rings are really far apart.......the pine i have been cutting, the outer rings are really hard to even see, they kinda tight lol. most are around 80-90 years old near as i can tell. thats old for yellow pine.
The main reason I'm in this patch is because of the diameter, much past 32" anymore and they don't pay you much. We have stuff with 6+ rings an inch half way from the heart but I have to watch the diameter on the butts with that stuff as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

a lot of my firs have rings like that ,think its is from growing too fast .
I wouldn't say too fast, it's from thinnings in years past to keep them at a steady rate if you look you'll see it hasn't slowed down at all. That stuff is averaging 125 to 150 ft in height at 32".

The main reason I'm in this patch is because of the diameter, much past 32" anymore and they don't pay you much. We have stuff with 6+ rings an inch half way from the heart but I have to watch the diameter on the butts with that stuff as well.

they dock you for over size? that sucks. bigger the better i say.......until the equipment won't handle it lol.

i can see a tight spot in your last pic, bet that was right before the first thinning. its really hard to get landowners here to thin the first few times. they would get big timber faster if they would listen.
Mike this is my personal family land.

they dock you for over size? that sucks. bigger the better i say.......until the equipment won't handle it lol.
Max standard export Doug fir is 32" butt until you get into temple sorts that go till 46" but the kicker there is you have to have 6 rings half way out from the heart. Domestic they don't hardly pay you for the big wood at all, and the little side 32" on down I have one mill that'll do 32" butts the rest do a max of 22" and rumors of them dropping down to 18".

18? almost pulpwood. thats ridicules. who knows what bean counter came up with that good idea..........although, i don't get any more for 500ft average than 300. i guess i wouldn't get any more if there was one giant log on the truck.
hell, they might not even want it lol. now, export hard wood is a different story, big logs command the best price there.

you are doing right on your land. mine was clear cut when we got it back in 85. i have poplar about 18-20" now so it will still be awhile yet.

18? almost pulpwood. thats ridicules. who knows what bean counter came up with that good idea..........although, i don't get any more for 500ft average than 300. i guess i wouldn't get any more if there was one giant log on the truck.
hell, they might not even want it lol. now, export hard wood is a different story, big logs command the best price there.

you are doing right on your land. mine was clear cut when we got it back in 85. i have poplar about 18-20" now so it will still be awhile yet.
5" is the minimum top for domestic and 9" for Japanese export and 8" for Chinese export. They are running a 40 year rotation on company ground around here so the wood is smaller so the mills are scaling back on their sizes as well plus you'd be amazed at what they send for export now it's nothing like what we use to send.

The big mills, Weyco, SP, Hampton, pretty much all own their own ground, and therefore are moving to shorter and shorter growth cycles.

They can make boards out of a 22" log and make it profitable, since most everything is automated now.

I'm lucky enough to have a couple mills near here that will still take upwards of a 9', though one closed for good recently.

Part of the ding for oversize is they know that you are getting massive volume out of it... so yer going to be ok with getting hosed a little bit, that and most of the oversize stuff anymore isn't exactly real pretty wood, lots of sap rings, ugly growths, rot, various forms of damage. Pretty scarce to trip into a bunch of nice fat timber, most of it was cut in the early 90's after the spotted own ****ed everything up, anything left is on FS land and is no touchy.

The big mills, Weyco, SP, Hampton, pretty much all own their own ground, and therefore are moving to shorter and shorter growth cycles.

They can make boards out of a 22" log and make it profitable, since most everything is automated now.

I'm lucky enough to have a couple mills near here that will still take upwards of a 9', though one closed for good recently.

Part of the ding for oversize is they know that you are getting massive volume out of it... so yer going to be ok with getting hosed a little bit, that and most of the oversize stuff anymore isn't exactly real pretty wood, lots of sap rings, ugly growths, rot, various forms of damage. Pretty scarce to trip into a bunch of nice fat timber, most of it was cut in the early 90's after the spotted own ****ed everything up, anything left is on FS land and is no touchy.
That's why we get those special orders still is there isn't much if it left anymore we still have a bunch of that big long tight growth ring wood. I have one oversized mill left near me that'll do anything you can bring them but they only pay 300 for 40's is what the last price sheet I saw which is more then hosed, and the other is Zippo in Eugene but they weren't accepting any wood right now.

It's a weird time to be on the timber business.

Sometimes it pays, other times not so much.

I reckon it's always kind of been that way in dah woods.

i just put a load of trash on the truck.......14 trees lol.
you right Nate, i remember when hardwood saw like this load we wouldn't even cut and the big pine was like gold. meh, thats why god put all kinds of trees here, so one of um will be a hit even if others are not.

if y'all are sawing 13" logs.......pulp must be tiny.

i just put a load of trash on the truck.......14 trees lol.
you right Nate, i remember when hardwood saw like this load we wouldn't even cut and the big pine was like gold. meh, thats why god put all kinds of trees here, so one of um will be a hit even if others are not.

if y'all are sawing 13" logs.......pulp must be tiny.

I cut pulp down to 2-3 inch

Latest posts

Back