Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sproing?

Hey KID!!
do ya know how to hang a board?

I had these loaded up already, photographic proof, yes I ran a Stihl.

Red Fir

redfir-1.jpg

redfir-2.jpg

Sproing?

Hey KID!!
do ya know how to hang a board?

I had these loaded up already, photographic proof, yes I ran a Stihl.

Red Fir

redfir-1.jpg

redfir-2.jpg

ive stuck flattened saplings in the stump to get a few feet up. I just wedge the board and make a notch about 10'' deep and shove it in there, havent fallen yet but this time its gonna be alittle higher I think. Got any pointers?

ive stuck flattened saplings in the stump to get a few feet up. I just wedge the board and make a notch about 10'' deep and shove it in there, havent fallen yet but this time its gonna be alittle higher I think. Got any pointers?

Use real boards, for the drivers, go hand pick 3-4 OG Doug Fir 2X6s, maybe 4 feet long, put a slight taper on the edges at one end. 10" in is ok. Real ones have a metal plate, don't really need for only some use. you should have to pound them in just a bit. The spring boards themselves can be 2X8 or 2X12.
On those downhill falls, a steeper angle on the face is indicated, it does look like you have a firm grip on things.

I like to make the boards, then mark the thickness where you're gonna put the notch. About a half inch thicker than the board and you can wedge them up tight so they feel solid. Just takes a few minutes after you have done it a few times.

I like to make the boards, then mark the thickness where you're gonna put the notch. About a half inch thicker than the board and you can wedge them up tight so they feel solid. Just takes a few minutes after you have done it a few times.

Looks good John.

There sure is lots of shortleaf pine in Arkansas.

Lindsey is in the hospital, have worked 9 weeks, been paid for 1.5, and my clutch just went out. My Dad is towing me to the shop where I am going to spend a few days putting a new one in, and rear main seal. Things have been kinda rough here the last month. Just checking in with ya, keeping the chin up. Be good! - Burv
Hang in there, things will get better. Hope everythings goes your way and gets better. Seems like when one bad thing happens, more follow closely.

Good lookin pics Kid! I'll bet your happy to be runnin a saw again! Whats the timber being used for? Some of that stuff on the landing looks like what I usually play with.

All this spring board talk is gettin me thinking. Not that I'd need them often, but good to know.

Good springboard advice. Is that in arkansas? Probably springboarded a lot more trees in Southeast AK?

Lindsey is in the hospital, have worked 9 weeks, been paid for 1.5, and my clutch just went out. My Dad is towing me to the shop where I am going to spend a few days putting a new one in, and rear main seal. Things have been kinda rough here the last month. Just checking in with ya, keeping the chin up. Be good! - Burv
Hang in there Burv. Seems like we all have to experience lows along with the highs. I think Cody says it best with the remark he has in the bottom of his postss where it says "Tough times never last, but tough people do". Later man.

Its in bedford county VA. About 35 minutes from home!! I LOVE when the job is close !! the logs are going to be sawed or peeled. the wood goes to Covington. I am happy to be back home and sweating, my hands have metal in them, my body aches, I am dog tired, & I allredy have a rash on my arm(poisen ivy). But with money in my pocket, I could not ask for anything more, we are just some crazy dudes i guess haha.

Wake up call

Well we just laid to rest one of my best guys yesterday. 28 years old. He was one of the safest, most productive fallers you could ever meet. One of the happiest guys I've ever know too. Never saw him in a bad mood. And he flat out loved to fall timber. He was working for a buddy on his two weeks off from camp and got tagged by the top of a fir snag. The falling world truly lost one of it's best.

Well we just laid to rest one of my best guys yesterday. 28 years old. He was one of the safest, most productive fallers you could ever meet. One of the happiest guys I've ever know too. Never saw him in a bad mood. And he flat out loved to fall timber. He was working for a buddy on his two weeks off from camp and got tagged by the top of a fir snag. The falling world truly lost one of it's best.

Damn, that's a tough loss. My condolences to you and his family.

Man, that stinks.

Pass my condolences on to his family if you're able.

It took my cousin, John, 25 years of timber falling before he was seriously injured. . . The worst part was it wasn't even timber falling. He was bumping knots and cutting off snipe on the deck, and the yarder operator dropped a Maki Carriage on him.

Man, that stinks.

Pass my condolences on to his family if you're able.

It took my cousin, John, 25 years of timber falling before he was seriously injured. . . The worst part was it wasn't even timber falling. He was bumping knots and cutting off snipe on the deck, and the yarder operator dropped a Maki Carriage on him.

It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Latest posts

Back