Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats how I usually run my chains so I can pry it back on the bar without taking the clutch cover off if it throws, of course it probably wouldn't throw as much if I kept it tighter but thats a whole nother story :)

Just gotta stick your knee in the bar to give it a bit of bend to put your chain back on when you throw it, takes no time at all. Then you can run your chain the proper tension. Just be careful if you're running a lightweight bar, you can bend them pretty easy.

Just gotta stick your knee in the bar to give it a bit of bend to put your chain back on when you throw it, takes no time at all. Then you can run your chain the proper tension. Just be careful if you're running a lightweight bar, you can bend them pretty easy.

I'm always paranoid I'm going to break something when I try that. I just loosen up the nuts, spin the tensioner back a little, and roll er back over the nose. I can usually do it in about 20-30 seconds.

Thats how I usually run my chains so I can pry it back on the bar without taking the clutch cover off if it throws, of course it probably wouldn't throw as much if I kept it tighter but thats a whole nother story :)

A guy wouldn't get much wood on the ground with that loose of a chain where I'm working now. LOTS of brushin out. I throw enough chains as it is. Amazing how prickly ash can grab a chain and take it for a ride. Some jobs I can let it sag a little though.

A guy wouldn't get much wood on the ground with that loose of a chain where I'm working now. LOTS of brushin out. I throw enough chains as it is. Amazing how prickly ash can grab a chain and take it for a ride. Some jobs I can let it sag a little though.

LOL...It's easy to do. You go along cutting and you see the chain is sagging but you're almost done and you figure " Ah, I'll get it when I fuel" and you keep cutting and "Dammit"!

Not that I've ever done that, of course. :msp_wink:

I'm always paranoid I'm going to break something when I try that. I just loosen up the nuts, spin the tensioner back a little, and roll er back over the nose. I can usually do it in about 20-30 seconds.

Give it a try, bitz, once you get the hang of it, you'll find it's way quicker and more convenient. As I mentioned though, if you run the lightweight bars go easy!

The bar bend roll your chain on works good down to a 30" bar. With a 28 " you really need to torque oner. Unless your chain is real loose. Actually throwing your chain a lot in a symptom of you either getting too narrow in your focus, too tired, or your brain wandering off the job at hand. Most of those can lead to an untimely death. So by the 2nd time in a short period anyone does it they need to stop and get there brain and body back on task. Or put the saw to bed for the day.

Last edited:
The bar bend roll your chain on works good down to a 30" bar. With a 28 " you really need to torque oner. Unless your chain is real loose. Actually throwing your chain a lot in a symptom of you either getting too narrow in your focus, too tired, or your brain wandering off the job at hand. Most of those can lead to an untimely death. So by the 2nd time in a short period anyone does it they need to stop and get there brain and body back on task. Or put the saw to bed for the day.

Good point, Tramp. Didn't think of bar length! We just use 36's on average, the odd time bigger and the odd time 33's in second growth.

All good points. Not to mention it will also likely happen when you've got your chain cutting just perfect!!

They are out there Glen and pop up once in a while. Rolling a chain on a 28" isnt too hard to do. Since that is what this company runs, its become really easy. You should hear the foreman ##### at us for putting out chains back on that way. Its a good laugh. Anything over a 30" is pretty easy. Even my 5'11" 151lbs skrawny @ss can do it with ease. Glad to read about being careful with the LW bars. Just bought a new Stihl LW at a whopping 180$ at the Myrtle Creek Saw Shop. Should have bought it here in Canyonville, their only 150$.

They are out there Glen and pop up once in a while. Rolling a chain on a 28" isnt too hard to do. Since that is what this company runs, its become really easy. You should hear the foreman ##### at us for putting out chains back on that way. Its a good laugh. Anything over a 30" is pretty easy. Even my 5'11" 151lbs skrawny @ss can do it with ease. Glad to read about being careful with the LW bars. Just bought a new Stihl LW at a whopping 180$ at the Myrtle Creek Saw Shop. Should have bought it here in Canyonville, their only 150$.

You know better than to buy certain things at a certain saw shop. I thought you learned that lesson when you were buying those large-mount bars for your 075. I buy all my Husky and Jonsered stuff at one shop and all my Stihl stuff at another shop.

BTW- when are you gonna trade me out of this 440/460 hybrid saw?

When I can find Homelite saws for you that aren't all smashed up or the plastic design. Im pretty content with the saws I have right now. Just need to get a Husky or Jred 90cc saw as a back up for my 066. Possibly a Dolmar. One of these weekends I gotta bring a case of beer up and see your shop man.

When I can find Homelite saws for you that aren't all smashed up or the plastic design. Im pretty content with the saws I have right now. Just need to get a Husky or Jred 90cc saw as a back up for my 066. Possibly a Dolmar. One of these weekends I gotta bring a case of beer up and see your shop man.

Yep. I'll you what- if you can find a decent 9010 you'd be styling. Those can be made into nice runners. I'm still looking for the Makita version. A 2188 wouldn't be too shabby either.

2188 or a 390xp. Im starting to get more hours of cutting on the weekend. Since were in a Level 2 closure. After we shut the saws do, to be useful, Im oaky poking behind a cat. Fun stuff in 90 degree weather.

A good stump. Opening up the line so I had to tap wedges some
IMG_20120814_094636.jpg
IMG_20120814_104602.jpg
.oops. I wish that wouldn't have happened. Huskies are prone to this.
IMG_20120814_114959.jpg
. OK, so I guess I'll run the bosses saw.
IMG_20120815_112625.jpg
.ya its not too big a timber, but it sure is limby.
IMG_20120815_105447.jpg
. About 3' deep in fell and worked up

Took down a couple (@!##@*%#) Pondy's in Cd'A Idaho yesterday. The wife took some video too, but she accidentally hit the high speed switch, so it's 420 frames a second. . . Whhhhiiiiccchhh iiiissss sssllloooowwww. :laugh:

Now my legs hurt. :msp_sneaky:

Not used to climbing at all.

topsmall.jpg

Back