Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted this last night so I'll give this another shot.

A few pages back this thread was full of subarus. That along with a bunch of harry homeowner,"hows my stump look?" pics and a few arborist style pics this thread has really veered here and there from the badass falling pics thread that Burvol originally intended. I do think its kind of cool to learn about how other guys are putting their wood down and in my state the processor guys are of no threat to me. I'm chasin sawlogs and they are chasing pulp. I don't think that's going to change here. In the southern part of the state where I live its pretty much hand cut big timber. Up north you'd be hard pressed to stay competitive hand cutting pulp. I think you'd be hard pressed to survive really. That being said when I walk into an SFI cert meeting I can immediately tell the few hand fallers from the guys who sit in machines all day. Hand fallers are becoming the minority and that's really not all that bad for those of us who want to keep doing it. There is no lack of logging work here. The sawmills are starving for logs and they are running out of guys to cut em. If anything I'd kinda like to know what the pulp guys are up to to kind of keep an eye on em. Really we just need some new guys to step up and post some timber falling pics in this thread. Either that or the old guys need to dig up some more pics. I could go on a picture posting rant, but lately I don't have the time and my bs pics can get kinda boring.

Well not quite as eloquent as last night, but the meat is there with some additions.

I just PMd 1270d about the stuff we talking about last night. He can share the PM with you guys if you want...that's fine with me.

There's not as much resentment of mechanical harvesting as you think. There's some for sure but most of us realize that there are times when mechanical is the only way to go. That's not to say we like it...we sure as hell don't...but this business is changing and you either change with it or get left behind.

That being said...the old time springboard, ax, and misery whip guys resented the hell out of chainsaws and the fact that they cost people their jobs. The bull whackers hated the first Cats that showed up in the woods. The steam yarder guys hated the diesel. The logging railroad folks hated the trucks. Some of us don't like feller bunchers and never will. But they're here. And they're here to stay.

I'm a part timer trying to learn from you all. There darn sure isn't anyone to learn from around here, they're all mechanized.

Basic stuff

8f025ae1-791a-4d49-9c4c-5783f45e3cf2_zpsd34df01d.jpg

photo_zpsb97780cf.jpg

I just PMd 1270d about the stuff we talking about last night. He can share the PM with you guys if you want...that's fine with me.

There's not as much resentment of mechanical harvesting as you think. There's some for sure but most of us realize that there are times when mechanical is the only way to go. That's not to say we like it...we sure as hell don't...but this business is changing and you either change with it or get left behind.

That being said...the old time springboard, ax, and misery whip guys resented the hell out of chainsaws and the fact that they cost people their jobs. The bull whackers hated the first Cats that showed up in the woods. The steam yarder guys hated the diesel. The logging railroad folks hated the trucks. Some of us don't like feller bunchers and never will. But they're here. And they're here to stay.

I thought about the axe and cross cut guys in relation to chainsaws when this was brought up. Also how many jobs were replaced by skidders and such. I just wanted to show where I stand. My being younger and new to logging shows up in my posts for sure. All this mech stuff has been around as long as I have even had an interest in logging. I've also read a lot of books on the history of logging as well so I understand the entire picture, but I didn't live it. I'm glad you're back Bob. I damn near quit the site a few weeks ago. Too much to do and not much going on around here. Well, I gotta get to sharpenin and fixin and packin for tomorrow. No one ever thinks about the preparation side of logging when they get a hair in their ass to kill some timber for the first time.

Well, I gotta get to sharpenin and fixin and packin for tomorrow. No one ever thinks about the preparation side of logging when they get a hair in their ass to kill some timber for the first time.

Yup, that's one of the things they never show on AxMen ...all the super early hours and late night hours.

yup bob. i was not trying to put anyone down on my original post, i was just making a statement that the thread was drifting badly off topic. would be nice to have burv pop in now and then .

yup bob. i was not trying to put anyone down on my original post, i was just making a statement that the thread was drifting badly off topic. would be nice to have burv pop in now and then .

Yup. Wherever he is I hope he's doing well.

I would guess if they have the wide multi rivet they'd have the narrow? I don't really know.

The super bar plus is the stihl wide nose tip. I guess they have to buy the tip from stihl and then build the bar with a different bell to it to match the wider tip. Madsens said they had the super bar plus last time I called at the same price as the Oregon style tip but I'm not sure if he was right or not.

Was just gonna chime in on the Cannons and ask ya Bitz how you liked it. Heavy is the reaction from everyone then they lament how durable they are. Stihl style tip is wider for sure. Why you guys wanting the wider tip? I've kinda preferred a narrower tip to reduce kickback but I honestly don't know how much difference it makes as I'm no faller. Like everyone else I've been missing the good falling pics and falling discussions among pro's with us wannabes chiming in asking too.

Hopefully I'll have some Alder pics to throw up this summer. Were talking about going after the slicers and maybe 5 acres. Going home on break to help the old man with some firewood and spend a couple days with the forester I'll be working with this summer. Headed for Eugene and the Oregon Logging Conference tomorrow. Maybe there'll be some saws to check out. I'll have to report back.

Man its good to have most everyone back...

Anyone heard from rounder, he usually checked in on fridays, hasn't in awhile though.
I got a PM from Jolly Jeff today. Said he's crazy busy at the moment. I have been guilty of posting silly stuff in this thread, but mostly because I wanted to keep it alive. This thread is where I met allay'all, and I hope it gets back to its former glory. I actually enjoyed being "Tramped" off this thread by TB and Bitz for too much silliness a year ago. Watching y'all trade pics and ideas in a courteous and respectful manner is what got me hooked on AS in the first place. I'll reserve my silly stuff for other locales, and lord knows there's some stupid stuff being posted on AS these days

I'd post more pics and stuff, just been kinda under the gun the last month or so, not much daylight to be playing around with the camera, and too damn muddy to be wasting time.

Gots some alders I might try making a vid of the coos vs SSD (Swedish Stump Dance)... we'll have to see.

Gonna give the coos a try compared to a non SSD bore. Hoping to get the chance to try a sis out too... maybe. I'll probably just end up splitting/splattering it all over the lay. I guess one or two can be sacrificed in the name of learning. No slicer sacrifices though. Hey North you run into any slicers on your jobs? If'n ya are I can put you in contact with some guys from Stanwood. They buy it in a long log cut the slicer out and then pay sawlog for the rest.

Ah yup, think the dude I go through is out of Sultan, tags along with the self loader jockey, has him load his truck with the creamy stuff, then whats left goes to the regular mills First name starts with an A, I'm allways open to new markets though.

Sis works fairly well in alder, just make the verical cut pretty long and don't try to swing em as far as you would say a Hemlock or Dougie, they are just to damn brittle, and give them a huge open face, Stalling is very bad with alder... And by fairly well I mean you can get a few extra feet out of a swing but if you push it to far they will chair extra bad...

Heres the landing from the last job. About 55,000 bf of red and white oak. Since its in a parking lot it won't get hauled until break up. I must of scratched up my phone's camera. Everything is kinda blurry lately. Sucky.

Landing2-18.jpg

Some from today-

This job has an incredible amount of basswood. One of the nicer ones from today. Man this job is cutting out fast.

Basswoodnice.jpg

Some coon is getting awfully pist right now. I knocked down his favorite night spot. White oak leaner. She came down like sack of crap.

Coonnightspot.jpg

These are always fun to buck. They like to kick out here and there. 4 10s in this one.
coonnightspotbucked.jpg

P1010596.JPG P1010597.JPG P1010598.JPG P1010599.JPG
Decent lodgepole. When I cut the face it seemed pretty hard so before doing the backcut I took out the heart wood so it would go a little easier. Openface cut was just to keep the dust off lining up a humbolt. Turned out pretty good I think. I had to go to the rock with this one. Canopy was ready to hang this one up in all directions except over the rock (why wouldn't it). Tried to cut level with the top of the rock but obviously I should've went up another foot and a half.

Back