Falling Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like a bunch of pungie sticks. thats not ugly it scary.

Yup. I wish we'd taken some pictures before everything got yarded out and cut up for firewood. Talk about a jack-strawed mess! The trees went over in every direction.

This was a volunteer project on an old gold mine restoration for the local Land Trust group. They depend heavily on volunteers for the grunt work. They'd asked me to do some falling and to clean up the mess . After I looked at the stumps and the birds nest lead I made a deal with them...I'd do all the falling or none of the falling.
The guy who fell these meant well but he's better off running a lawnmower or something. Safer, too. I found at least four trees that had 'chaired, quite a few that went over sideways and enough that came straight back over the back cut to make my hair turn gray.
So much for all those people who believe in the slant cut, eh?

I'll bet that the next time SlowP comes down to visit she leaves her saw home. LOLOLOL

P2131619.jpg

Last edited:
I had to cut down a stump farm like Gologit's a few years ago. This was a thinning job done by the wife of the homeowner. They are an extremely wealthy family and could have hired a contractor but the wife is ranch raised and her husband was afraid to run a saw. He drives a Prius and she drives a Sububan and tows the firewood trailer. Her saw skills aren't too good but she is a super down to earth good woman.

BDoon2-09010.jpg

BDoon2-09011.jpg

Here's one Steve that required a bit of short bar work.

NW Axe Man-

Nice tree you got there. Im curious how long it took you to face that up and get the wood on the ground. Maybe one day ill have the skills and opportunity to fall a tree like that, but until then pics will have to do.

Paul

NW Axe Man-

Nice tree you got there. Im curious how long it took you to face that up and get the wood on the ground. Maybe one day ill have the skills and opportunity to fall a tree like that, but until then pics will have to do.

Paul
It took quite a while as it was a hazard tree that we had to stop once in a while and let the traffice go by. One of the people claimed that their dog got hit on the road. Sounded like BS to me but we let them pass. Once the undercut was out we had to stop them until I got it down. I would guess it took me about 30 minutes to get the undercut out if I were to just cut and get it out without any stopping. The back cut was the fast part. When it came down it fell apart into the stump about 30 feet of it. Got kind of hairy for a second or two. I got the whole thing on video. I had two video cameras and one guy taking just still shots. I figured I'd better get it recorded as it was quite a toad.

I was gonna post this video in Burvol's falling thread too. . . If ya didn't mind.

Henderson been working the snot out'a you boys?

You bet! I did not know that this was not Burv's. There are two falling pic threads???

Latest posts

Back