Falling Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "Jackrod" knows his stuff, needs to work on social skills a bit.:msp_tongue:

Randy
I like this site because all of the knowledge that is here. I learn tons of stuff on here. I can take some **** but some people just piss me off. Yeah , a little smack on the hand for the chitty stump but how a bout a few hints from " The Jackrod" to help me out next time. I am not a pro as many of you guys are , I am just a firewood hack trying to do a good and safe job. :potstir: Steve
Randy:cheers:

What did I do wrong? Try a spring board in the future. .

Yep and a proper saw.

No need to go soo high on the back cut, a couple inches should do it. The high back cut is a hold over from the misery whip days, they could get a flush end by just sawing off the leftover "wedge".

The high back cut is a hold over from the misery whip days

NWCG still teaches it as gospel to fireline fallers, as well. The reason they give is that stump shot supposedly helps prevent the log slipping back on the butt, which is a problem that you don't really have anyway with a Humboldt, because by the time the face closes, the log is already jumping away from you. NWCG suggests about 1" stump shot per 10" of diameter. I have... seen some butt-ugly stumps. Of course, in a fire, safety is key and production is irrelevant, so maybe there's something to it after all, even if it's just placebo effect.

If anything the higher backcut will give the hinge more time to bend. Obviously they can be a problem in some situations and don't look all that pretty.

Steve- I'm glad you put the pics back up, just saw them now. That one coulda been hella fun with a humboldt and a snipe. Regardless, finding a target a ways out to gun to is key when cutting large wood with small bar. You have to keep your cuts clean and tight to where you are aiming. Maybe a springboard for the face, but there looked like some roots to stand on. Obviously different when you are there. Bore out the face a little if the bar won't reach. Gun the one side of the back-cut under the lean first then make your way over to the other side. You could even gun the other side too and a leave a post in the middle to hold it on the stump to make sure your hinge is true. Me I'd work it all from one side of the tree. Compression side first. Definetely need some bigger wedges to even the taper out. Think about how and when the hinge breaks. I think many guys rush through things early on in the learning stage. When the wood is sound it shouldn't be going anywhere for a while.

Steve...Don't worry about ugly stumps. I've had stumps so ugly I told everybody my falling partner did them. :D

Stumps do tell a story, though. Hang in there, pick up a few tricks from some of the guys here who fall for a living, and keep yourself safe.

So, Steve, you think you made a "chitty" stump, huh? Take a look at this one and relax. You don't have a corner on crappy looking stumps. All you need is to be tuned up a little. Maybe get yourself a little longer bar, too.

You could have sold that to the city folk at the local swap meet. You could call it Genuine Logger Freehand Carving. :) They'd take it home and put it in their yard and tell everyone they had authentic logger art.

You could have sold that to the city folk at the local swap meet. You could call it Genuine Logger Freehand Carving. :) They'd take it home and put it in their yard and tell everyone they had authentic logger art.
Pretty good stuff, huh? We were up on a fire when I drove by and had to do a double take. Backed up and had to get out. There were about 8 such stumps there. I'm still not sure what the deal was. As you can see it was so stunning that I just had to take pics of them.
You know, I do think you've got something there in the "logger free hand are". I might just have to bone up on that one.

nw axe, your not claiming that are you?
Like all the rest of us I've made some pretty "chitty" stumps in my life but I can honestly claim that I've never made one that looked that bad. Those are the kind where you saw them off and roll them over the hill as far as you can. I want stumps like the kind you posted the pic to leave on the roadside. Every time you walk by you just smile to yourself and feel satisfied. Good job. You can tell a lot about a man by the stumps he leaves and the butts that show on the truck going down the road. In this line of work you must have pride in your work.
Steve, keep working on it. You'll get it.

Here's some stumps we found. This is from when I invited Slowp down to visit and put her to work helping clean up this mess. Now she knows why I told her to bring a saw down with her. :D

The guy that left these stumps was a retired USFS employee...but I don't think he ran saw too much.

P4231672-2.jpg

P4231673-1.jpg

Here's some stumps we found. This is from when I invited Slowp down to visit and put her to work helping clean up this mess. Now she knows why I told her to bring a saw down with her. :D

The guy that left these stumps was a retired USFS employee...but I don't think he ran saw too much.

P4231672-2.jpg

P4231673-1.jpg

looks like a bunch of pungie sticks. thats not ugly it scary.

Latest posts

Back